Status Bar character count

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
derekroff

Status Bar character count

Post by derekroff »

The Nisus Writer Pro User Guide says 'Nisus Writer Pro continually keeps track of the number of characters, words and paragraphs in your document or selection. This information is visible on the Status Bar at the bottom of your document window'.

The only count in my status bar is Words. I see in the screen shots in the User Guide a Status Bar displaying the number of Characters, Words, and Paragraphs. How do I turn those on, or configure my Status Bar to show them? I've looked through all the Preferences, searched this forum, searched the User Guide, and searched online. No luck, so far.

I'm using Nisus Writer Pro 3.4 and macOS 12.7.4, the latest that will run on this MacBook Pro.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Derek Roff
Language Learning Center
University of New Mexico
derek@unm.edu
Þorvarður

Re: Status Bar character count

Post by Þorvarður »

Click on the Status Bar
and choose what you
want to see…

1.png
1.png (91.5 KiB) Viewed 226 times
derekroff

Post by derekroff »

Thank you for your response. I have clicked on the Status Bar. I have right-clicked, left-clicked, control-clicked, and two-finger clicked. Nisus Status Bar gives no response.

A right-click in the middle of a document gives a list of options, and other parts of my Nisus interface respond to right and left clicks. But the Status Bar does not respond. Do you have any ideas why my Status Bar refuses to react?
Derek Roff
Language Learning Center
University of New Mexico
derek@unm.edu
Þorvarður

Post by Þorvarður »

I’m sorry to hear that you are still having a problem with the Status Bar.
I notice that I have to click on the Status Bar where the character, word or the paragraph numbers appear, i.e. in the middle of the Status Bar. So, if you only see Words, try clicking directly where Words appear.

1.png
1.png (12.33 KiB) Viewed 198 times

Apart from that, I can’t think of anything else than the usual troubleshooting methods (deleting the preferences, etc.)

I’m still on High Sierra, so I don’t know whether this has anything to do with your system version.
derekroff

Post by derekroff »

Thank you! Your suggestion worked. Clicking on the word that I could see in the middle of the Status Bar revealed the additional options. I am grateful for your help.

This is one more of a vast array of items and options in software, that are very difficult to discover. Programmers seem to delight in hiding features, and making them very, very hard to find. I would never have found the trick to displaying the character count in the Status Bar, without your help.
Derek Roff
Language Learning Center
University of New Mexico
derek@unm.edu
Þorvarður

Post by Þorvarður »

I’m glad to hear that the problem was not serious after all. :–)
This is one more of a vast array of items and options in software, that are very difficult to discover.
Actually, the clicking follows the same logic as the clicking on other icons in the Status Bar. These small icons all reveal additional options when clicked on: Split View, Clipboard, Adjust the page zoom, Change language, Note Style [only if there is a footnote or endnote in the document], Character Style, List Style, Paragraph Style.

1.png
1.png (10.35 KiB) Viewed 192 times
2.png
2.png (7.94 KiB) Viewed 192 times