Sonoma compatibility

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
NisusUser

Re: Sonoma compatibility

Post by NisusUser »

The beta mentioned in this thread is v 3.4 beta 1.

v 3.4 beta 3 has been released. Maybe it would help. I'm not sure where you can find it, though. Maybe write to Martin and see? (profeedback[at]nisus[dot]com)
allenwatson

Post by allenwatson »

I'll look for beta4; thanks. But after 2 hours at an Apple Store I'm fairly certain that my problem is some malicious or malfunctioning software that I've installed. After 38 years as a Mac user, I've got a LOT of cruft on my machine. I think I disabled about 60-70 items in Login Items, and there were a few I didn't recognize. But the problems persist.
However, in a clean Test account, NWP runs fine. Next question: Is there an easy way to transfer NWP settings, Kbd shortcuts, styles, and macros to my new Test account? I'll post that question as a new thread.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Workarounds to prevent Sonoma issues are no longer required. The Nisus Writer Pro beta has been superseded by the official release of Nisus Writer Pro 3.4, which ensures macOS Sonoma compatibility.
mountainman

Post by mountainman »

NWP 3.4 is working fine for me except for one thing: I cannot get inline predictive text to work. I wonder if anyone else has had this problem, and how you solved it. I've spend three hours today trying whatever came to mind, including fiddling with input sources. Predictive text is turned on in system settings. The feature works fine in Mail.
Sonoma 14.2.1
M1 Mac Mini
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

mountainman wrote: 2023-12-28 23:18:35 NWP 3.4 is working fine for me except for one thing: I cannot get inline predictive text to work.
Predictive text typing should be working in Nisus Writer on Sonoma now. I just tested and had no troubles.

You mentioned that it works for you in Apple Mail, but what about TextEdit? That's a closer cousin to Nisus Writer. Another test: does the problem manifest in all documents? Maybe test in a brand new Nisus document to see if that works. Please let us know how it goes...
mountainman

Post by mountainman »

Predictive text also does not work in TextEdit or Pages. Same with a new Nisus document.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

mountainman wrote: 2023-12-29 22:56:50 Predictive text also does not work in TextEdit or Pages. Same with a new Nisus document.
That definitely sounds like a macOS system issue, but I don't know why predictive text would only work in some apps but not others. Did you double-check to make sure you're using the same keyboard layout / input source in all apps?

Are you also typing exactly the same thing to test? and in a document with exactly the same existing content? I'm not sure how much textual context the system considers to offer suggestions. If your test document/text is very different, perhaps it may thwart or change predictions.
mountainman

Post by mountainman »

I don't know how much coaching predictive text normally requires for training, but it started working "right out of the box" in Mail. I have tried various things to test it in NWP. For example, I typed a sentence in Mail (new editing window) that brought up suggestions in several places. I confirmed the suggestions by choosing them, which supposedly tells predictive text to keep them in its library. Then I typed the exact same sentence in a new NWP window (I tried this test a number of times), but predictive text offered no suggestions at all.

Of the four languages I use (US English, Japanese, and two flavors of Chinese), predictive text appears to work only in English, so I did all my testing using the US English keyboard.

Also, I have been using version 3.4 in my work, which means a lot of typing, and not a single suggestion has appeared. If predictive were working here, something would have shown up by now. I suspect you are right that this is a MacOS system problem.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

mountainman wrote: 2024-01-08 23:10:19 Also, I have been using version 3.4 in my work, which means a lot of typing, and not a single suggestion has appeared. If predictive were working here, something would have shown up by now. I suspect you are right that this is a MacOS system problem.
Sorry to hear it! I would start with the goal of getting predictive text typing in TextEdit and Pages. If it doesn't work in those apps, it's almost certainly not going to work in Nisus Writer.

Maybe you can contact Apple to see what they say about it not working in those stock Apple apps, though we all know that's often a very long road. You may be better off with some general troubleshooting like seeing if it works in a brand new user account, reinstalling the system, etc.
mountainman

Post by mountainman »

martin wrote: 2024-01-09 16:43:36
mountainman wrote: 2024-01-08 23:10:19 Also, I have been using version 3.4 in my work, which means a lot of typing, and not a single suggestion has appeared. If predictive were working here, something would have shown up by now. I suspect you are right that this is a MacOS system problem.
Sorry to hear it! I would start with the goal of getting predictive text typing in TextEdit and Pages. If it doesn't work in those apps, it's almost certainly not going to work in Nisus Writer.

Maybe you can contact Apple to see what they say about it not working in those stock Apple apps, though we all know that's often a very long road. You may be better off with some general troubleshooting like seeing if it works in a brand new user account, reinstalling the system, etc.
Thanks. I'll try some other things as time allows.