Sonoma 14.0 Problem

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
adryan

Re: Sonoma 14.0 Problem

Post by adryan »

G'day, tammcturk et al

Very irritating, I'm sure.

First, if the errant key behavior occurs with other applications on the Mini, this to me suggests a serious flaw in Sonoma.

Next, errant key behavior can occur in a variety of contexts (including hardware malfunction), so it's as well to have one or more remedies to hand that you can use while waiting for a more permanent fix. This might be an opportune time to suggest some possibilities that don't require additional software:–

(1) Create a Keyboard Shortcut (restricted to the malfunctioning application if necessary) that maps the function of the troublesome key to an infrequently used key.
(2) Create an entry in NWP's Special Characters Palette. (For a carriage return, the easiest thing is to Show Invisibles in a document, copy a Paragraph Return character from it, and then paste it into the Character field of your Special Character.)
(3) Use a dummy string instead of the naughty character and then at a convenient time replace all occurrences of the dummy string with the desired character.

I'll elaborate on this third method. The dummy string might be something like "xzx" which is unlikely to appear in your document otherwise. It might even be an unlikely single character such as "`" which is produced by a single keypress or "∞" which is produced using a keystroke combination (Option-5 on an English keyboard). Make it easy and memorable.

When it comes to substituting the desired character for the dummy string, possibilities include:–

(1) NWP's Glossary
(2) Find and Replace (restricted to In Selection in NWP if necessary)
(3) Macroizing the Find and Replace procedure in NWP
(4) AppleScript
(5) Terminal

Dummy strings have their uses in other contexts as well, so it's worth bearing them in mind.

Cheers,
Adrian
MacBook Pro (M1 Pro, 2021)
macOS Ventura
Nisus Writer user since 1996
tammcturk

Post by tammcturk »

Interesting stuff Adrian, thanks.

I will try out some of your suggested workarounds in NWP.

So far, it seems to be the only programme in which I have this problem. Pages and Word work fine, so it is not as if I don't have options. I'm just a bit of a creature of habit. 8)
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

tammcturk wrote: 2023-11-25 01:26:00 FWIW - the beta version is working fine on my MacBook (14.1.1 with Danish keyboard) BUT on my desktop (Mac mini, also 14.1.1 with Danish keyboard) the apostrophe and carriage return keys are not working, so I can't get far enough in a file to work out whether there are any other problems.
Do you mean the normal Return/Enter key that is used all the time to insert newlines, i.e. start a new paragraph? If so, that is supremely weird and unexpected. We have not seen any other reports of this issue. I would try restarting your Mac or choosing a different keyboard layout to see if that fixes the problem.
NisusRG16

Post by NisusRG16 »

I had same problem with Nisus Writer Pro crashing after updating to Sonoma. Crash occurred immediately after "Inline Predictive Text" tried to expand word.
Problem cured by turning off "inline predictive text" in System Settings/Keyboard/Import Sources/Edit.
_NM_

Post by _NM_ »

xiamenese wrote: 2023-10-25 04:29:34 Have you tried the beta mentioned by Martin in his post in this thread?

:)
How should those who purchased Nisus Writer Pro through the App Store enter their license information for the beta? There does not appear to be any such option.
ramcnally

Post by ramcnally »

Just found this on Apple Insider, about how to turn off the predictive inline text feature. As far as I can tell, this fixes the crash problem.

How to disable inline predictive text on macOS Sonoma

Open System Settings
Choose Keyboard
Under the Text Input heading and Input Sources, click Edit...
In the box that appears, toggle Show inline predictive text off
Click Done

The URL is https://appleinsider.com/inside/macos-s ... cos-sonoma.
Last edited by ramcnally on 2023-12-06 11:34:57, edited 1 time in total.
tammcturk

Post by tammcturk »

martin wrote: 2023-11-27 10:10:17
tammcturk wrote: 2023-11-25 01:26:00 FWIW - the beta version is working fine on my MacBook (14.1.1 with Danish keyboard) BUT on my desktop (Mac mini, also 14.1.1 with Danish keyboard) the apostrophe and carriage return keys are not working, so I can't get far enough in a file to work out whether there are any other problems.
Do you mean the normal Return/Enter key that is used all the time to insert newlines, i.e. start a new paragraph? If so, that is supremely weird and unexpected. We have not seen any other reports of this issue. I would try restarting your Mac or choosing a different keyboard layout to see if that fixes the problem.
Yes. That was the one. I tried various "fixes" I found suggested online. The one that worked was reinstalling the system. I presume that means that the problem was nothing to do with NWP even though the problem manifest when using it.

FWIW – at present, all is working fine (using the besta version) on both my Mac Mini and Mac Book Air 👍
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Workarounds to prevent Sonoma issues are no longer required. The Nisus Writer Pro beta has been superseded by the official release of Nisus Writer Pro 3.4, which ensures macOS Sonoma compatibility.