Setting up Nisus Writer in a second account

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
allenwatson

Setting up Nisus Writer in a second account

Post by allenwatson »

Having problems with NWP in my main account. However, in a clean Test account, NWP runs fine. Next question: Is there an easy way to transfer NWP settings, Kbd shortcuts, styles, and macros to my new Test account?
phspaelti

Re: Setting up Nisus Writer in a second account

Post by phspaelti »

I keep all of those things on my iCloud Drive. That way they transfer across my devices. The same should work for different accounts.
Or you could keep them in the shared folder.
philip
B.Otter

Post by B.Otter »

If you're setting up a new account, this may be helpful.

The settings most relevant to me, including the <keyboard shortcuts.plist>, and palettes and preferences plists are found on this tortuous path:

~/Library/Containers/com.nisus.NisusWriter/Data/Library/Application Support/Nisus Writer Pro/Settings/

These settings are independent of where you establish your Doc Manager path, Styles, Macros, Templates, etc., which can be shared in common with your other account if you're using iCloud, for example.

Brad
allenwatson

Post by allenwatson »

That helps a lot! Thanks. I think I can manage things now that I know where they all are.
allenwatson

Post by allenwatson »

One problem: There is no such folder on my Mac.
~/Library/Containers/com.nisus.NisusWriter/Data/Library/Application Support/Nisus Writer Pro/Settings/

I see no folder called com.nisus.NisusWriter in Containers, and there is no Containers folder in the system Library folder. What are the files you thought I would find in that Settings folder? Maybe I can search for them by name.
adryan

Post by adryan »

G'day, allenwatson et al

Curiously, you and Brad are both right.

You should be able to find what you want at:–

~/Library/Containers/Nisus Writer Pro/Data/Library/Application Support/Nisus Writer Pro/Settings/

However, the AppleScript script I devised for showing file paths (using "selection as string") yields the path Brad gave.

Cheers,
Adrian
MacBook Pro (M1 Pro, 2021)
macOS Ventura
Nisus Writer user since 1996
allenwatson

Post by allenwatson »

Aha! So, it was your fault! :)

I'll post soon if I succeed in migrating to my new user (my old one is FUBAR). Meanwhile, I've just succeeded in recovering my database of software registration keys—hallelujah!
adryan

Post by adryan »

G'day, allenwatson et al

Just for the record….

I haven't given my script to anyone. But it's a standard way of getting file paths, so I suspect Brad used something similar.

The curious thing is how AppleScript resolves certain locations in a path. In the present case, what is displayed in the Finder's Path Bar does not include "com.nisus.NisusWriter". However, the "reveal" command in AppleScript will correctly show the target regardless of whether you use "com.nisus.NisusWriter" or "Nisus Writer Pro". All very well for programming, but unhelpful when you're trying to direct someone to a target without using a script.

Whenever you come across some unexpected behavior, a good rule of thumb is to blame Apple. In all probability, it's not your fault. And I know for certain it's never mine!

Cheers,
Adrian
MacBook Pro (M1 Pro, 2021)
macOS Ventura
Nisus Writer user since 1996
B.Otter

Post by B.Otter »

Hi, guys,

I wasn't aware of the discrepancy. Thank you for pointing it out. Apple handles both paths, it turns out, depending on how you go in. On my system, at least, it works as following, which may be a legacy of earlier versions of Nisus and macOS:

On my installation of Nisus 3.3 on Ventura, if you step down using Finder and clicking visually from Containers, indeed, the only possible and correct folder is "Nisus Writer Pro".

BUT if you use Finder's "Go" function, CMD-Shift-G, you can paste in the full address using either:

OR

~/Library/Containers/Nisus Writer Pro/Data/Library/Application Support/Nisus Writer Pro/Settings/

and the addresses will resolve to the same location.

From the Finder level, visually, the folder under Containers is "Nisus Writer Pro".
But from the Unix/Terminal level the folder under Containers must be "com.nisus.NisusWriter". The Terminal app cannot find/resolve the path as in

Code: Select all

% cd ~/Library/Containers/Nisus\ Writer\ Pro/
and requires

Code: Select all

% cd ~/Library/Containers/com.nisus.NisusWriter/
If you find this confusing, just leave it. But I found it helpful to see the distinctions. The wonders of APFS, and how it maps the paths of folders and files that have been moved or renamed (same thing). No knowledge of Adrian's AppleScript.

Brad
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

It's not necessary to fiddle with Apple's internal Containers folder if you want to copy your Nisus settings.

You can transfer your Nisus Writer settings between Macs (or user accounts) by using our "synchronized settings location". This option allows you to choose a folder where Nisus Writer saves and loads all its settings. You can choose a folder that is commonly available to both Macs/users (e.g. stored on iCloud or Dropbox), or copy and transfer the folder as needed manually after your settings have been saved.

For more details please see our FAQ:

How do I sync or restore my Nisus Writer preferences?