Equations in Express

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
MikeKazlow

Post by MikeKazlow »

I don't want that information in the save as dialog box, but in the documentation (online and pdf)! If rtfd preserves more that rtf, then it should be ther prefered file type, not rtf!

As to what is preserved in rtf files, eps files are ancient and should be supportable, but mathtype objects are ole objects are preservable on the Mac and Windows platform rtf files in Word and should work here as well.
MacSailor

Re: progress report, rtf vs rtfd

Post by MacSailor »

delackner wrote:First, I apologize for not fixing the printing problem by now. No excuses, other than having a long list of todos! When it is fixed, the release notes will definitely mention it.
Accepted. No hard feelings.
delackner wrote:RTFD can preserve everything because it is a mac-only format that just saves the original file in the document package. If you are doing serious workflow with large large images and everyone on board can use RTFD, you want to use RTFD even ignoring the image preservation issue, because loading and saving RTFD files is considerably faster than RTF.
That’s a very good reason to make RTFD to the default format for NWE. Then, if anyone need to export to another format, they can select another appropriate format.

RTF does not seem to work, RTFD does. As delackner said, it’s probably just a bug. But I suspect that even if this bug is fixed, it may not preserve the quality of the graphics when opened in MS Word or other word processors that can handle RTF.

Maybe it’s time to try to implement XML (or what it’s called) into one of the formats read and written by NWE?
Peter Edwardsson
charles

Post by charles »

Hi:

Our RTF and RTFD files can store exactly the same information (including the same quality of graphics), except RTFD is a little faster at it and RTF can be opened by other word processors while RTFD cannot. The difference in printing some of you are experiencing currently is a bug that we will fix.

Most people do not use a lot of graphics in their document and they do need to share their files with others. For this reason, we make RTF our preferred file format.

Cheers,
-Charles
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.
MikeKazlow

Post by MikeKazlow »

I hope the bug is in the inability to have decent graphics in all but rftd---not in rftd having decent graphics :-)
MacSailor

Post by MacSailor »

MikeKazlow wrote:I hope the bug is in the inability to have decent graphics in all but rftd---not in rftd having decent graphics :-)
Right… :lol:
Peter Edwardsson
charles

Post by charles »

MikeKazlow wrote:I hope the bug is in the inability to have decent graphics in all but rftd---not in rftd having decent graphics :-)
Oh, you prefer to have the HIGH QUALITY graphics printed? That completely changes what we were trying to fix then! :wink:

Cheers,
-Charles
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.
hakohugu

How to import EPS image from MathType5.1?

Post by hakohugu »

Thank you for your nice information on MathType, MikeKazlow.

I'm still struggling with MathType images.
Is there any setting for exporting images from MathType as the kind desired?
As far as I understand, MathType has a option in "save as" window for selecting the file type.
But, NisusWriterExpress can accept " copy/paste ", not import a file into its own file, couldn't it?
If my understanding is write, I have to set the exporting date from MathType as EPS.

At this moment, I have no sharp and clear equation print-out with NWE, then use MarinerWrite, if equations are needed.

Thank you for your kind advices in advance.

Best regards,

Koji
--- hakohugu ---
MikeKazlow

Post by MikeKazlow »

Koji,

You can export from MT as an eps. Then from Nisus Import Images while this method does not preserve baseline information. You will then need to maually adjust the baseline.However this does not change the line spacing appropriately. Nisus needs to get on the ball and fix things ASAP. It should not take months, this is not rocket science.

Mike
hakohugu

Re: EPS importing onto NWE

Post by hakohugu »

Dear Mike,

Thank you for your reply.

I would like to know the detail the process, and then let me confirm it.

1) edit a equation in MathType
2) save the equation as an EPS file
3) in NWE, use "Image" menu in the pull-down menu of "Insert"
4) selet the target EPS file

Is it correct?

On my monitor of Powerbook the looking seems no change, but the print-out is very sharp and clear!
That's great.

Here, I have 2 questions.
1] How to adjust the base line position?
I tried to darg the inserted image with mouse pointer, but that does not work.
When I use arrow keys after selecting the image, just the input point moves.

2] Does the insert take a few seconds?
When I try the process above, the beach ball of rainbow color rounds till the process finishes.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Koji
--- hakohugu ---
MikeKazlow

Post by MikeKazlow »

Koji,

Format -> Baseline -> (Raise or Lower).

If you copy the image in MT, it will tell you at the bottom the the app, how many points the baseline should be raised or lowered for the MT object be raised or lowered.

Time for insert depends on upon the speed of your computer and the complexity of the image. It does take a few seconds.

...Mike
delackner

drag and drop, please!

Post by delackner »

I don't quite understand the big hoops people are going through here.

1. edit an equation in MathType.
2. select all.
3. drag and drop the equation into Nisus Writer Express.

When I do this, I clearly see the equation with proper baseline offset. If I look in MathType Preferences -> Translators... I see that I have the defaults still at factory settings, to export equations a PICT.

If I then save as RTF and close the document, then reopen it, I can drag and drop the equation back into MathType and it loads correctly.

This is with NWE 2.1.1, the current released version.
MikeKazlow

Post by MikeKazlow »

delackner,

Try printing it out. With my old postscript laserjet, the printout with the method you describe was not acceptable when I used my old imagewriter printer eons ago.

...Mike
delackner

Post by delackner »

Do you find the unacceptable output too blurry, too pixelly, or not at the proper baseline offet? The bluriness of some printed bitmap images is something I'm attempting to fix right now, so my apologies!
MikeKazlow

Post by MikeKazlow »

Yes it is too blurry. Its pixelated in a non-uniform manner. Parts of the letters and/or symbols are too thin others are too fat. Some letter/symbol parts appear to be missing. My imagewriter printed documents were certainly pixelated. But they were readible. I could present them to an untrained audience (students) they could see the formulas and understand what they were seeing. This is no longer the case. Moreover, since there is such a contrast between the Mathtype formulas and the regular text, I cannot present the output to students or colleagues. In other words for mathematical content Nisus Writer Express is worthless. I await the fix.
brickface

Post by brickface »

Koji: thank you, great summary and your method worked perfectly with NWE and MathEQ. I saved an equation as .eps and inserted it, and the resulting printout was great.

Delackner: using MathEQ, I chose the option "copy for NWE" - according to MathEQ this says it gives a 72 dpi preview image and a 300 dpi eps printer image. I tried this option and the resulting printout was of poor quality - blurry, not pixelated. The blurriness was there in the printout whether I saved the file as rtf or rtfd. Hope this helps?

Regards,

-j

(PS: I tried drag 'n drop after re-reading your comments, alas it appears Math EQ does not support drag 'n drop :( )