Change of style in older documents

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
Parelius

Change of style in older documents

Post by Parelius »

Hei,

I sometimes change the formatting of the styles (f. ex. H2), but I want this change to be reflected in my older documents (made before the change of style). How do I do that?

Best
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Hello Parelius. I'm sorry to tell you that what you want is not possible. Styles are saved on a per document basis. So even though every document you make has a style called "H2", each document's "H2" is completely independant from the others.

If you want to make a change to "H2" so that all future documents you create have this new "H2", you can edit the styles in your "Nisus New File".
Parelius

Post by Parelius »

martin wrote:Hello Parelius. I'm sorry to tell you that what you want is not possible. Styles are saved on a per document basis. So even though every document you make has a style called "H2", each document's "H2" is completely independant from the others.
Thanks for your reply. What about some kind of "import Styles" that can override/replace the styles attaced to the document?

Best
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

I agree that that would be a very useful capability. --Craig
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

What about some kind of "import Styles" that can override/replace the styles attaced to the document?
Currently there's nothing like that, but I think it's definitely a good idea to have some way to quickly update styles in old documents. I've put in a feature request for this.

As for what you can do right now, there is one trick you can use to update styles in older documents. There are little icons at the bottom right of every document window, we call them "tags". There are two style tags, one for character styles and another for paragraph styles. Using these tags you can quickly select all text in the same style. Just select some text in your document of the style you want to update, then choose "Select All" from the style tag. Now you can quickly switch all your text in one style to another.

Not exactly the automagic I know you were hoping for, but hopefully it saves you some time.