In what format do you prefer to receive the Nisus newsletter

Nisus Thesaurus, Nisus Writer Classic– this is the place for all other Nisus products.

In what format do you prefer to receive the Nisus newsletter?

text only
76%
HTML
24%

Total votes: 38

martin
Official Nisus Person

In what format do you prefer to receive the Nisus newsletter

Post by martin »

We're thinking about letting each subscriber choose the format they receive the newsletter in. But for now, since we only have one newsletter, which format do you prefer?
gemboy27

now

Post by gemboy27 »

it's in text now right, I like how it spanks it way to my e-mail box
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education/Mark Twain (1835-1910)
Gerhard Dillmann

Nisus Newsletter format

Post by Gerhard Dillmann »

I prefer

plain text format,

because I want to
read the letter as I like it, according to my reading preferences.

Gerd

P.S.
I wonder why didn't I find an automatic reply function on your questionnaire?
KarenH

HTML

Post by KarenH »

I'd be happy for it to use HTML as I think it looks nicer that way.
tersono

HTML mail is just plain evil

Post by tersono »

HTML has no place in email. If you want me to trash your messages unread, that's the way to do it.... :twisted:
red

Post by red »

<text>I vote for text only!</text>
tsteele

Plain text or HTML

Post by tsteele »

I prefer plain text for the newsletters.
Buck

Survey

Post by Buck »

voted for HTML - will read newsletter however it comes - thanks for providing it.
Learning is essential to living.
alexpassi

newletter format

Post by alexpassi »

Please, oh please, text, text, text. No html, pdf or other amenable formats.
Alex Passi
pgiltner

text, text text

Post by pgiltner »

Only text. HTML email is evil. My email program (MAILSMITH, BABY) is set up to filter it out automatically, & I ignore it.
vocaro

Re: text, text text

Post by vocaro »

pgiltner wrote:Only text. HTML email is evil. My email program (MAILSMITH, BABY) is set up to filter it out automatically, & I ignore it.
Why does everyone hate HTML email so much? I can understand how it's a problem with spam (e.g. blinking tags and bright red text), but a non-spam email properly rendered in HTML can really do wonders for readability.

For those of you say HTML is evil and automatically filter out HTML-formatted mail, I wonder what happens when you surf the web. Do you surf with Lynx or something? I just don't understand why HTML email is so despised while HTML web pages are perfectly fine.
hamidlmt

re: newsletter format

Post by hamidlmt »

.html is for web pages! I'm now on DSL and a shiny Powerbook, and still remember the frustrations and agonizing times opening up email with .html code on an older computer with a dial-up connection. It often lead to rendering problems and I'd have to open up the email in a browser anyways. Not everyone has fallen victim to Microsloth's upgrade motto... "If it's brand spankin' new and sitting on your desktop, it should be obsolete by the next system update!"

E-mail is for quick, clear text communication. I greatly prefer opening up an email with text only. Just my two bits...

~
vocaro

Re: re: newsletter format

Post by vocaro »

hamidlmt wrote:E-mail is for quick, clear text communication.
In that case, the newsletter should not be sent out by email because I don't think it meets your standard of quick/clear communication.

Perhaps Nisus should just send a link to the newsletter? Or at least provide an option for choosing either text or HTML, so everybody's happy.
johnwolff

Format of Nisus Newsletter

Post by johnwolff »

I have an intense dislike for HTML formats for an emailed newsletter for the following reasons:-

1. I use MailSmith as email reader so HTML gets translated and the content is often severely mangled. That's when I have to open it as an attachment in Safari -- an extra step.

2. So long as your message is what's important rather than its appearance -- all dressed up with fancy graphics -- then text email is certainly the better medium.

And since your products are aimed at helping people to write text rather than do page layouts, you should stay with text.
John Wolff
Hamilton, New Zealand
Adrien

Re: In what format do you prefer to receive the Nisus newsle

Post by Adrien »

martin wrote:We're thinking about letting each subscriber choose the format they receive the newsletter in. But for now, since we only have one newsletter, which format do you prefer?
Confused website. Anyway,
text only
for newsletter
Mac apostle for 20 years starting with a 64K Mac in July 1984 in USA.