List Styles

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
tedg

List Styles

Post by tedg »

I use NWp extensively. So far, the only thing that bothers me is the lack of a paragraph style definition for lists. The issue in my case is space after paragraphs, which I use instead of first line indents. I'd like list elements to not inherit the 'space after'.
User since 1990
Most current NWp and MacOS
MacBookPro 16-inch 2021
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: List Styles

Post by martin »

Thanks for the feedback. You're right that it's a good idea to use a paragraph style to enforce a list style and desired spacing. Perhaps we should provide one as part of the default styles, but for now you can certainly create such a style in Nisus Writer.

Once you configure the desire paragraph style you might consider adding it to your Nisus New File template, so it's included in all new documents you create. Or maybe add the style to your Style Library, so you can import it into documents as necessary.

I hope that helps! Please let us know if you have any questions.
Amontillado

Post by Amontillado »

Interesting. Being a slacker, I've been quietly grumbling about the space between list items.

As is probably obvious to everyone else, if you choose a paragraph style before starting the list, the vertical gap is set by the paragraph style's "space after" setting.

A paragraph style with a 0 pt space after will remove the vertical gaps.

Either select the paragraph style first or highlight the list and apply the desired paragraph style.

The purpose of styles, though, is to bundle appearance features. It would be nicer if the list style was based on a paragraph style, in turn based on a character style.

Then, you could change list appearance throughout a document by editing the list style or loading a different style library.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Thanks for the feedback, but list styles are not based on paragraph styles.

The current setup is that paragraph styles are in control. The paragraph style does all the work to enforce the list style and other paragraph formatting like spacing. Aside from indents, which are controlled by the list style to position list items, there's no confusion as to how paragraph formatting arises. The source is always the applied paragraph style.

This setup allows the paragraph style to control aspects like the list level, or whether list numbering restarts for paragraphs marked in the paragraph style. Inverting the style structure so these paragraph style aspects are inherited by the list style would not make any sense.
hatchmo

Post by hatchmo »

These Lists are automatically numbered using a Numbered List style. To avoid inserting a tab before every Item, the Item lines were generated with a return character (shift/return) instead of Paragraph + Tab for every line.

Is there any way to increase or decrease line spacing between Items in a list, without affecting the spacing between the paragraphs (numbered lines)? My wife claims that this was possible under Catalina, but not under Big Sur.
Attachments
shift-return-imems.png
shift-return-imems.png (48.17 KiB) Viewed 7642 times
Al Hatch
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

Hello Al,
There is several ways you could do this. The way you have this set up right now, you will have to increase the line height of the paragraphs to get more space between the "item"s. The space between the blocks of (List-item-item-item) can be changed separately using "Space after" for the paragraph.

But a second approach is to do away with the "soft-return"s and use all standard "return"s. Then use two separate paragraph styles: one for the "List" and a separate one for the "item"s. The latter would have the left side indented. Meanwhile for the list style which gives you the numbering you would use the setting "Continue Numbering across document content". This second approach will give you more flexibility for controling spacing and indentation.

Here samples of what I mean:
Attachments
List-Item Style-based.rtf
(20.28 KiB) Downloaded 352 times
List-Item Single Style.rtf
(20.03 KiB) Downloaded 349 times
philip
hatchmo

Post by hatchmo »

This is very helpful. Thank you!
Al Hatch