New computer; Nisus pro won't open all the way

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
laurabaedeker

New computer; Nisus pro won't open all the way

Post by laurabaedeker »

Hi there,
I just got a new MacBook Air and imported all of my previous computer's info over to this one. Everything's working fine except Nisus Pro. It opens, but then gets stuck ("Application Not Responding"). I tried updating the app, but no luck. Running Catalina 10.15.5. Appreciate the help!
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: New computer; Nisus pro won't open all the way

Post by martin »

What version of Nisus Writer Pro are you using? If you're using version 2, you'll need to upgrade to version 3. Only version 3 is compatible with Catalina.

If you're already using version 3 and still having trouble, then we'll need to diagnose the problem further. It would be great if you could collect a hang log. Or capture an Activity Monitor sample before you force-quit the app. You could send us either the log or sample via email.

laurabaedeker

Post by laurabaedeker »

Hi! I am using 3.0.4 and it was working fine on my other MacBook Air (running same OS). I'll do what you said (re Activity Monitor) and send to the email you provided. Thank you!
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

We just replied to your email privately, but I'll post the same information here.

Thank you very much for sending in that activity sample. You did it perfectly and the sample reveals the problem: Nisus Writer is busy trying to reopen the documents that were open for editing the last time you used it.

Nisus Writer uses something called a bookmark (neé alias) to track your files on disk. Bookmarks are a feature provided by Apple to identify a file even if you move or rename it. That's a great feature. But in order to resolve a bookmark back to a target file, Nisus Writer needs to ask the system (macOS) where the file is currently located. For whatever reason, the system on your Mac isn't responding and doesn't return control to Nisus Writer, which leads to the hang.

I don't know why the system on your Mac is having trouble resolving these bookmarks. As a simple solution you might try rebooting your Mac, in case there's a temporary system problem. If that doesn't solve it, then you should probably just clear out these bookmarks. Perhaps there's something about the bookmark data being transferred from your old Mac that the system can't handle properly.

Here's how you can clear the list of files to reopen:

1. Quit Nisus Writer if it is running.
2. Switch to the Finder.
3. Use the menu Go > Go to Folder...
4. In the dialog that appears, copy-paste the following folder path:

~/Library/Containers/com.nisus.NisusWriter/Data/Library/Application Support/Nisus Writer Pro

5. Now that you can see that folder in the Finder, trash the file named "Reopen Documents.plist".
6. Restart Nisus Writer.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any questions.
laurabaedeker

Post by laurabaedeker »

OMG...THANK YOU! That worked!!! (and didn't get your response email, so thank you for posting this info here). THANK YOU AGAIN!!!!