Adding furigana

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
sardinops_99

Adding furigana

Post by sardinops_99 »

Dear all
I write in Japanese a lot.Japanese often puts the reading of a word above the chinese character (kanji) to tell you how to pronounce it. This is done in hiragana which is the phonetic script and is called furigana. (This is not the same as the Nisus superscript which is not above a word but next to it). Is it possible to do this Nisus? I know it possible in Word but I am resisting giving up Nisus.
Any help would be welcome
Rod
GaubertKuni

Re: Adding furigana

Post by GaubertKuni »

Dear Rod,
What is this answer to your question, I hope?
In Japan, we say Ruby. Pronounced (rubi). If you use French, pronounced like (roubi).
We give [print] kana alongside kanji [Chinese characters] (to show the letters' readings), as I understand on yours own showing.
Plese take a look[Ruby Annotation ] , [https://www.w3.org/TR/ruby/].
Unfortunately, we can not use Ruby with NisusWriter Pro. yet.
Curious to say, my first language is Japanese, I do not use Ruby no longer when I use WordProcessor.
Sometimes better to use Furigana after your lettering with ( ).
By ordinary, if I need to use Ruby, I set on LaTeX.

I have been using NisusWriter since early 90th.
At the same time Japanese Word Processor EGWORD was released.
If you have a great deal of interest in Japanese Word Processor, take a look here: [https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/ワープロソフト]
I hope everything will be OK for you.
Thx and regards, WAKAMATSU (from Japan)
credneb

Post by credneb »

Unfortunately, Nisus does not have a furigana/ruby function. (It also does not have a vertical writing feature.) A workaround is to put the reading in parentheses following the word.
sardinops_99

Post by sardinops_99 »

Thanks. As I thought.
I have temporarily switched to Word :(
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

GaubertKuni and credneb are correct: Nisus Writer Pro does not have support for furigana– sorry!

However, regarding this point:
credneb wrote: 2020-05-04 10:06:41 It also does not have a vertical writing feature.
Nisus Writer Pro version 3 does support vertical text layout/orientation inside table cells and floating text boxes.
credneb

Post by credneb »

Martin wrote: "Nisus Writer Pro version 3 does support vertical text layout/orientation inside table cells and floating text boxes."

While never wanting to contradict Martin, and the above is certainly true, the Nisus Pro manual also states:

"The vertical text boxes are not a solution for full-page vertical text layout, but rather an extra feature to embellish
your default horizontal text layout."

When thinking of writing vertical text in Japanese, most Japanese-language writers have "full-page vertical text layout" in mind. I was referring to this feature. It is unnecessary in the vast majority of cases writing Japanese in a business setting today, but full-page vertical text layout is very important as other than an embellishment in certain cases, particularly announcements for funerals, formal invitations, and more. It is as important as writing right to left in certain languages. When writing a funeral announcement for my father-in-law, I had to use Word due to this Nisus limitation.
rwg

Post by rwg »

A cheap alternative to Word for both furigana and vertical text is iText Pro (don't be put off by the website!):

http://www.jp-lightway.com/iText/

It hasn't been updated for many years but still works well in Mojave.
GaubertKuni

Post by GaubertKuni »

Yes, you can get functional capability both furigana and vertical text.
But when you use [ruby] with this application, you need a bit to chage.
(EG) [space between lines] from 1.0 to 1.5 .
Of course, it is depends on your specified font size.

iText Pro is lightly dressed application, qualified in a variety of densities, I believe.
I use iText Pro for my Commonplace book and daily memo for several decades.
Mr. Yamashita who is preparer for iText Pro , gave me iTextPro with his compliments.
thx and regards, WAKAMATSU (from Japan)