Can't save a new collection to the the Style Library

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Urnimo

Can't save a new collection to the the Style Library

Post by Urnimo »

Hi all,

I've come upon a strange thing. I wanted to add another style collection to the Style Library and it appeared to save it, but when I check by "import from style library", only my old collection is present.

Moreover, the Style Library does not show in Document Manager. Nor it show as an option to save to or as in the File menu section of that concerns Document Manager... it seems completely disappeared from the menus. The only options for Document Manager are All Managed Files or Templates.

A folder named Style Library exists in Nisus Documents in Applications, and in it I found a document with the name of the style collection I saved. But I cannot import it from inside the Application. Only the older one is present.

I am left scratching my head. Suggestions?

Luc Alexander (Nisus loyalist since 2008 -- NWP version 3.0.4)
~ Alex
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Can't save a new collection to the the Style Library

Post by martin »

Hello Luc, and thanks for using Nisus Writer for so long! We do appreciate that :)

I'm sorry you're having trouble with your Style Library. Hopefully we can clear up any confusion and get you working smoothly.

Conceptually the Style Library is just a special folder on disk. Nisus Writer can load and save styles from files in this folder for you. Where the folder resides is partially up to you. From what you described it sounds like you have multiple Style Library folders on disk. We can assume one or more of those folders was created or chosen accidentally. To resolve your problems you'll need to merge these unwanted folders manually, eg: using the Finder.

Your first step should be to locate the one single correct Style Library folder. Its location will depend on your settings in Nisus Writer. Did you ever designate a "synchronized settings location" in your General preferences? If so, then you'll find the canonical Style Library folder inside the folder you selected, inside of the "Nisus Writer Settings" folder. If you don't use synchronized settings, then Nisus Writer will fall back to using your Document Manager folder, as selected in your "Doc Manager" preferences.

Either way here's how you can view the correct Style Library:

1. Open your Document Manager window, eg: using the menu Window > Document Manager.
2. From the list of groups on the left, select the "Style Library".
3. Right-click the Style Library icon and choose "Show in Finder" from the contextual menu.

Now that you're looking at the correct Style Library, you should move all your style collection files here. Style collections are saved as regular RTF files on disk. You can just move them from any incorrect locations to your proper Style Library folder. Afterwards you might want to restart Nisus Writer, if it doesn't automatically detect the new style collection files.

I hope that helps! Please let us know if you have any questions.
Urnimo

Post by Urnimo »

Hi Martin, nice to hear from you! I work with texts, and Nisus is the best word processing software I ever got my hands on -- it is to my own advantage that I keep using it (I always greatly enjoyed your Nisus bulletins too, so full of humour)

My problem, you see, is that the Style Library does NOT appear in Document Manager. What I get in my Manager window is this:
Screenshot-2020-04-29-at-5.09.24-PM.jpg
Screenshot-2020-04-29-at-5.09.24-PM.jpg (100.07 KiB) Viewed 9356 times
And from the File Menu, this:
Screenshot-2020-04-29-at-5.10.33-PM.jpg
Screenshot-2020-04-29-at-5.10.33-PM.jpg (110.44 KiB) Viewed 9356 times
I recently updated to Catalina, hoping that the OS was stable already (it is not). As far as I know, Style Library was there previously, and worked. Do you think my copy of NWP got corrupted? Should I try to re-install it?
~ Alex
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Urnimo wrote: 2020-04-29 13:35:40 Hi Martin, nice to hear from you! I work with texts, and Nisus is the best word processing software I ever got my hands on -- it is to my own advantage that I keep using it (I always greatly enjoyed your Nisus bulletins too, so full of humour)
That's very kind of you to say, thank you :)
My problem, you see, is that the Style Library does NOT appear in Document Manager
Aha! This should be easy to fix. In the Document Manager window, underneath the list of available groups, click the button with the plus icon. You should see a dialog sheet that includes the option to add a "Special Group":

special.png
special.png (40.54 KiB) Viewed 9350 times

Once you confirm the group addition, check and see what's inside the folder. From there you might still need to manually migrate or merge folders, if you somehow ended up with more than a single Style Library folder on your hard drive. Let us know how it goes...
Urnimo

Post by Urnimo »

THANK YOU!

It worked like a charm. As soon as I added the Style Library to Document Manager (I had no idea it could be added or removed, as far as I know had always been there) I could see the saved styles and import them in any of my documents. Only had one Style Library folder.

Thank you again, and all the best in this time of plague.
~ Alex
Amontillado

Post by Amontillado »

Interesting - I think I'm running the latest version of Nisus Writer Pro (3.0.4). When I click the plus button in the document manager, I get three options, add custom group, add folder group, and add filter group.

I don't hink anything is going wrong. I see the style library in the document manager, for example.
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

Amontillado wrote: 2020-04-30 18:47:14 When I click the plus button in the document manager, I get three options, add custom group, add folder group, and add filter group.
Meaning you don't get a Add Special Group option?
I take it that's the standard behavior. You already have all the special groups, so there are none available.
philip
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Urnimo wrote: 2020-04-30 00:31:36 It worked like a charm. As soon as I added the Style Library to Document Manager (I had no idea it could be added or removed, as far as I know had always been there) I could see the saved styles and import them in any of my documents. Only had one Style Library folder.
That's great to hear, I'm glad that in the end this was simple for you to resolve! I don't know why your Style Library group went missing from the window, but it must have happened accidentally at some point. Perhaps a bug, cat on keyboard, or fat-fingering... we'll never know.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

phspaelti wrote: 2020-05-01 03:06:29 I take it that's the standard behavior. You already have all the special groups, so there are none available.
That's exactly right. If you have all the special folders listed in your Document Manager window, then the option to add one won't be available.