can't edit outline (list) style

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
tomholman

can't edit outline (list) style

Post by tomholman »

I use outlines a great deal, but have never figured out how to edit the outline list styles beyond the few options shown when I click on edit list styles on the palette. For example, I want to specify the amount of space before and after different levels of the outline. This may be something simple that I've missed, but I would appreciate any guidance. Thanks in advance.
Tom Holman
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: can't edit outline (list) style

Post by martin »

Hello Tom, and thanks for the question.

List styles can control some aspects of the text to which they're applied, but it's limited to the list item itself (the number, letter, or symbol at the start of the list paragraph). In this way you can use list styles to control the list item's indent, font, and other aspects like numbering format. However, list styles do not control aspects of the entire paragraph, like spacing before/after the paragraph.

If you want to control formatting aspects of the entire paragraph you'll want to work through paragraph styles. As you probably already know, paragraph styles can control before/after spacing and other paragraph formatting. Paragraph styles can also enforce list styles. In this way you can configure a single paragraph style that enforces both your list style and the desired spacing. When you're working in your document's text you then only need to apply that paragraph style.

I hope that makes some sense. Please let me know if you have any questions.
tomholman

Post by tomholman »

Thanks! So if I understand correctly, I choose a list style, say outline level 1. Then I can apply a separate paragraph style, say I create a paragraph style and name is "level 1 para", and that will combine with the list style, but not change the list style. Then every time I use the outline, I apply the relevant paragraph styes (I want different spacing for outline level 2, etc.).

Tom
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

That's correct and sounds like a perfectly fine way to achieve what you want Tom. You can apply both a list style and a paragraph style to your text so they combine their formatting. The list style enforces the list item (eg: numbering) and the paragraph style enforces the spacing and other formatting.

However, you can go one step further in configuring your styles, if you like. Instead of applying both the list style and paragraph style to your text, you could create a paragraph style that automatically enforces the list style, list level, and spacing. That way you only have to apply that single paragraph style when you're working in your text.

Here's an example of what such paragraph styles might look like in the style sheet:
styles.png
styles.png (84.96 KiB) Viewed 5610 times
You can see the paragraph style called "Outline 1" enforces both the "Numbered List" style and some spacing.
The paragraph style called "Outline 2" is based on "Outline 1" so it too enforces that same list style. However, you can see Outline 2 adjusts the list level and spacing.
tomholman

Post by tomholman »

Even better. Thanks again.