Really slow reacting to typing in 3.0.1

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
JHB

Really slow reacting to typing in 3.0.1

Post by JHB »

I'm running NWP 3.0.1, and it is really slow in showing what I am typing. I am often a few words ahead of what has appeared on screen. I know that my computer is nearly five years old (System Info says MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)), but other things work just fine. I have 16 MB of memory, and iStat Menus tells me that memory pressure is 33%, used 66%. The document I'm working on is only ten pages.

I haven't used NWP a lot since the 3.0 update came out, so I'm not sure whether it's 3.0.1 only, but I have really noticed it since installing that update.

Any thoughts?

John
MacSailor

Re: Really slow reacting to typing in 3.0.1

Post by MacSailor »

JHB wrote: 2019-01-03 07:21:17 I'm running NWP 3.0.1, and it is really slow in showing what I am typing. I am often a few words ahead of what has appeared on screen. I know that my computer is nearly five years old (System Info says MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)), but other things work just fine. I have 16 MB of memory, and iStat Menus tells me that memory pressure is 33%, used 66%. The document I'm working on is only ten pages.

I haven't used NWP a lot since the 3.0 update came out, so I'm not sure whether it's 3.0.1 only, but I have really noticed it since installing that update.

Any thoughts?

John
Sometimes restarting the computer could help to solve the problem or the use of an app like Cocktail/Maintenance, TinkerTool or Onyx to perform maintenance of the computer. Be sure to get the correct version of these maintenance apps for the version of macOS you are using.
Peter Edwardsson
JHB

Post by JHB »

OK, a restart does appear to have fixed things. But now I'm getting a different problem.

If I double-click a file created by NWP, I get a message warning me that it couldn't be opened because it was from an unidentified developer:
“Read Me.rtf” can’t be opened because it is from an unidentified developer. Your security preferences allow installation of only apps from the App Store and identified developers. Nisus Writer Pro created this file today at 13:07.
I've submitted feedback, but it would be nice to know what is happening there.

John
MacSailor

Post by MacSailor »

JHB wrote: 2019-01-04 03:09:52 OK, a restart does appear to have fixed things. But now I'm getting a different problem.

If I double-click a file created by NWP, I get a message warning me that it couldn't be opened because it was from an unidentified developer:
“Read Me.rtf” can’t be opened because it is from an unidentified developer. Your security preferences allow installation of only apps from the App Store and identified developers. Nisus Writer Pro created this file today at 13:07.
I've submitted feedback, but it would be nice to know what is happening there.

John
What happens if you try to open the file from within NWP, then save it, close the app and after that double-click on the file once again? Do you get the same message?
Peter Edwardsson
JHB

Post by JHB »

I've sorted it out now. I guess that the quarantine flag hadn't been cleared yet for the updated NWP. When I right-clicked in Finder and asked it to open, it gave the stupid message that it would allow Read Me.rtf to always open (rather than NWP). I think everything is correct now.

John
MacSailor

Post by MacSailor »

JHB wrote: 2019-01-04 05:06:48 I've sorted it out now. I guess that the quarantine flag hadn't been cleared yet for the updated NWP. When I right-clicked in Finder and asked it to open, it gave the stupid message that it would allow Read Me.rtf to always open (rather than NWP). I think everything is correct now.

John
Great news!
Peter Edwardsson
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

I'm glad this was all sorted out. Thanks for posting your solution!
JHB

Post by JHB »

I'm coming back to this, as the slow typing problem recurs. I'm currently working in a new document, it's got only about a thousand words, with no formatting so far, but suddenly the response time is terrible, and some typing just doesn't get registered at all. It's only in NWP, not in other applications as far as I can see.

Anybody have another suggestion? I don't want to have to restart the computer just to get reasonable behaviour from my favourite word processor!

John
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

I'm sorry the inexplicable slowdowns have returned. To diagnose this it would be helpful for us to see an Activity Monitor sample. Please see our FAQ on how to capture an activity sample.

The FAQ goes into the details, but basically you'll want to trigger the unexpected slowdown — perhaps by furiously typing gibberish like a madman to get a nice long unresponsive spell — and then switch to the Activity Monitor to capture a sample. You can send the sample to us via email or the Help menu.
JHB

Post by JHB »

I just sent a sample through the Feedback mechanism.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Thanks for your sample John, it was perfect. We replied to you privately already, but the problem ended up being an old custom toolbar item. The menu targeted by the toolbar item no longer exists, and Nisus Writer was incorrectly spending a lot of time continually trying to find it. We will fix this improper behavior for the next software update, but in the meantime removing the stale toolbar item should solve the problem.
tgl

Post by tgl »

Same problem here. Is there someone who can indicate which stale toolbar icon I need to remove? Please find an activity monitor sample in my dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/04bs5kd48c8pv ... o.txt?dl=0
Kind regards from Zurich, Switzerland.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

tgl wrote: 2019-04-10 08:03:40 Same problem here. Is there someone who can indicate which stale toolbar icon I need to remove? Please find an activity monitor sample in my dropbox:
Thank you for the sample, but your problem is not related to toolbar icons.

We already communicated privately with you on this matter (see our reply to your email from yesterday), but your slowdowns are related to the use of footnotes in Page View. It's likely the issue is related to a specific document you're using. Here are some suggestions on how to fix or workaround the issue:

1. I see you are using an older version of Nisus Writer (version 2.1.7). You should update to version 2.1.10 to see if the issue is fixed. You can download that version from our update web page. You'll see version 2.1.10 listed further down the page; it's a free update. Version 3 is also listed, but that's a paid upgrade with requires the purchase of a new license key.

2. You could switch to Draft View to try to avoid the problem. As the problem is related to pagination, that might prevent the delays.
tgl

Post by tgl »

The update didn't help and yes it is a complex document with lots of footnotes because I use Nisus for the sole purpose of writing my dissertation. I will buy your version 3 then.