character recognition

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Yohanan

character recognition

Post by Yohanan »

Hi, I usually convert the Word docs through LibreOffice, then save them in RTF before opening them in Nisus. I discovered the formats are better preserved this way. Today opening this way a nine years old docs, Libre Office gave me a rather trustful rendering of my Word doc except for the Zapf dingbats and Winging 3. When opening the rtf format in Nisus: every paragraph beginning with one of these signs was entirely transliterated and recognised as Zapf Dingbats of Winging 3 under the form of Greek characters and I could not change this by removing format or styles.There was in word a find and replace taking into account the simple determination of fonts, which seems not to exist in Nisus. It will take me a lot of time if I have to replace with what is found in Libre Office (through copy and paste) every § preceded by one of this sings. And I have still a great number of docs to convert.
Any idea of a procedure to directly revert these paragraphs to a font (now I use Times New Roman) ?
Yohanan

Re: character recognition

Post by Yohanan »

I just tried to directly convert old Word docs into Nisus 3.01 and it is much better, though not perfect.It converts the mentioned paragraphs under the form of latin characters and, this time, the paragraphs are retrovertible by selecting the normal style; though in Times, not Times New Roman. It is a relief for I will not have to do a very lengthy work of copy and paste from one LibreOffice to a Nisus doc. the so formatted paragraphs. If however there was a procedure to solve this merging of the whole paragraph with the sign introducing it, that could help still more.
Yohanan
adryan

Post by adryan »

G'day, Yohanan et al

It might be helpful if you posted a very short document (in Word format) that includes problematic material, so we can see what happens when we open it at our end. If the text is too sensitive, just replace the non-ideograph characters with an "x", say. Also post a Nisus Writer document showing what the converted document should look like — not what it does look like, which I gather is problematic. A couple of short paragraphs should suffice for each document.

Cheers,
Adrian
MacBook Pro (M1 Pro, 2021)
macOS Ventura
Nisus Writer user since 1996
Yohanan

Post by Yohanan »

I do think that at some point the builders of Nisus should look right at the problem of conversion which is really a problem. Hereunder see the first line is correct, but the second one, under it is impossible to get back into Times New Roman or Times, or whatever else. Just because there has been a wingding3 sign as the first sign of the paragraph. It does the same after any sign in Hebrew or Greek.
Compare :
• Libre Office conversion of a doc (I have no more Word app. in my Mac):
la dimension psychosomatique de cette parole qui fait comprendre que tout est parole.
 la différence avec le monde grec où tout est Logos parce que rationnel : ici tout est Logos parce

• Nisus
la dimension psychosomatique de cette parole qui fait comprendre que tout est parole.
∏ λα διφφéρενχε αϖεχ λε µονδε γρεχ οù τουτ εστ Λογοσ παρχε θυε ρατιοννελ : ιχι τουτ εστ Λογοσ παρχε

As you can see Libre Office did not give back the wingding3 sign, but, at least kept everything else in readable font (Century Schoolbook here)
Yohanan

Post by Yohanan »

Here they are attached as two independent docs
Attachments
untitled 2.rtf
(12.19 KiB) Downloaded 649 times
Untitled 1.doc
(10.5 KiB) Downloaded 611 times
Yohanan

Post by Yohanan »

I am willing to go through any solution you can offer in which I have not to rewrite every passage so distorted.
Thanks.
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

Dear Yohanan,
I honestly cannot say why you are having such problems. If I open your "Untitled 1.doc" in Nisus, it goes through the Libre Office translator and appears in French/Roman letters. It does not get transliterated into Greek for me.
Philip
philip
credneb

Post by credneb »

Perhaps the problem is with Libre Office.

Like Philip, opening the untitled1.doc directly in Nisus shows no problem.

When I open the untitled1.doc in LO, everything appears fine. But when the document is then saved in LO as rtf, and Nisus opens that rtf file, the second line appears in Greek characters and changing the font does not resolve the problem.

So perhaps the solution is to just open the original .doc document from within Nisus, and skip LO.
Yohanan

Post by Yohanan »

Thank you. I am at loss as to what happens with this. Where could the problem be in my Mac, I ignore and will go on ignoring. Just working harder and harder to recover the form of my existing docs (around two thousand...). Is it due to the fact that it was once a Word doc and I have no Word anymore ?

Nisus is fine, but a constant struggle from the beginning of using it. Right now, I open a new document and try two save a redefined Normal style (with French as the preferred language) and one more time Nisus does not find the Style Library I have in other Nisus docs. why ? No idea. It is there in the Nisus Document folder and the Style Library folder. But if I want to save my style from within this new doc, it cannot find it. Moreover when I open this Style Library (Calle My Own Library), it shows only five of my about 15 styles (if I take into account the character and the paragraph styles).

This, not finding back the tracks for the style library has happened quite a lot fo times in the past. I thought I was out of this problem with the solution offered by Martin, but apparently not yet... Sighs...

Yohanan
Yohanan

Post by Yohanan »

As to the suggestion of skipping LO, I use it precisely because when directly opening from Nisus it is worse (sorry for that).
Yohanan

Post by Yohanan »

See this for an example
The first greek verb is ok Thant everything appears in Greek characters. If not by you, this would mean I do have a specific problem on my machine. Sorry for doubling the thing.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 16.51.50.png
Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 16.51.50.png (52.61 KiB) Viewed 18076 times
Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 16.51.50.png
Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 16.51.50.png (52.61 KiB) Viewed 18076 times
Yohanan

Post by Yohanan »

then the first word in Hebrew is ok and the rest comes with Hebrew characters.