How to cleanup a history stored file

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
tomoyuki-kosaka

How to cleanup a history stored file

Post by tomoyuki-kosaka »

I usually make a file including some pictures. Probably nisus writer pro stores these data in the file and there are not simply cleanup way is not equipped as like "Automatic Content > Convert to Fixed Content".
After that, my rtf file become 130 MB even if the outputted PDF is 7.6 MB.
It's a very problem for clude shareing some file because it will rapidly suppress the volume of strage.
Yes, revert to past versions are very useful but if we can cleanup strage history, its very nice.
Probably, new copy is solve this problem?
Dose anyone know the nice solutions?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: How to cleanup a history stored file

Post by martin »

It sounds like your file has become unexpectedly large on disk. There are two common causes:

1. Tracked changes that hold a lot of content, perhaps including large images. Do you have tracked changes enabled for your file? Here's a macro that will check your documents for large tracked changes:
Tracked Changes Size Check.nwm.zip
(3 KiB) Downloaded 580 times

2. If you insert any images in your document then Nisus Writer will store the full original image data. That is true even if you resize the image to be smaller on screen. To learn more about this please see our FAQ on image sizes.

The quickest way to check for large images is to use the menu File > Image Analysis. It will show you this summary information:
analysis.png
analysis.png (21.16 KiB) Viewed 11462 times

You can see the total size of all images in your document. If you want to cleanup your large images I recommend that you click the arrow next to the label "Largest Image". It will open a list of all images sorted from largest to smallest:
list.png
list.png (25.2 KiB) Viewed 11462 times

You can then click each entry in the list to see the image in the document.
Vanceone

Post by Vanceone »

The interesting thing here is that I see the original point fairly often: Nisus documents with embedded images, PDFs, etc can balloon to large sizes that, when saved as a PDF is much, much smaller--even if the inserted images are PDF's themselves and presumably don't get downsampled or anything.

I wonder if saving as a RTFd file would trim out some of the fat?
tomoyuki-kosaka

Thank you martin.
I did not noticed about the "Image Analysis". It's very useful.
However, the problem still exists.
I'm not using "Track changes" feature.
スクリーンショット 2019-01-07 18.33.23.png
スクリーンショット 2019-01-07 18.33.23.png (148.64 KiB) Viewed 10633 times
I can find 5 images in Fig-v2.rtf and the total size should be '26.6 + 26.2 + 6.8 + 4.1 + 314 = 64 MB'.
However,
スクリーンショット 2019-01-07 18.35.19.png
スクリーンショット 2019-01-07 18.35.19.png (40.52 KiB) Viewed 10633 times
130.2MB...
This file only includes images.

It looks like the data become double.
Is there any good solutions?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

As explained in the FAQ on image sizes it is not unexpected to see a file size that's about twice as large as all images. The FAQ goes into detail about this, but basically RTF is inefficient. The quickest solution is to switch to a file format like Nisus Compressed RTF (aka ZRTF).
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Oh, one other tip: I see your images are using the TIFF file format. That's a lossless image format that tends to use a lot of space. Can you switch to a different image format?
tomoyuki-kosaka

Thank you martin for your responses.
I understood that I need to consider about image's format if I include the figures in RTF format file.
I also know my figures' format are TIFF.
I will consider to use different format and ZRTF.