Upgrading Files

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Daniel Siegel

Upgrading Files

Post by Daniel Siegel »

I'm cleaning up old files and folders and would like to upgrade files created with old versions of Nisus. Is there a way to do this other than by opening each file separately and then saving it as a NisusWriter 3 document?
I have lots of these old files, most of them Nisus and some are old Word files.
Thanks in advance.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Upgrading Files

Post by martin »

What you described is the most straightforward way to update a file. You could automate this with a macro, but I'd like to pushback on the idea.

You do not need to upgrade Nisus Writer files. There isn't any reason to open a file created by Nisus Writer Pro 2 and resave it using version 3. That's generally not a good use of your time as our file format hasn't changed in any significant way. Is there a specific reason you thought you might want to do this?
Daniel Siegel

Post by Daniel Siegel »

Thanks, Martin. I do appreciate that I may not need to do all that work. The reason I asked is because I'm compiling sets of old administrative files to pass on to a new executive director who likely uses Word and maybe even a pc. Would the files in their older form still be accessible?
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

Hello Daniel,
NWP's file format is .rtf which originally was a MS format, I believe. In my (limited) experience, Word opens rtf files just fine, and most Word users click on the rtf files I send them and are none the wiser, though Apple users might see the file open in TextEdit instead.

Personally I would recommend handing over such files without touching them any more than necessary. This is because one of the most useful bits of information your successor will get is the "last opened"/"last edited" date. This lets them know how current a given file is. If you open and re-save the files you will destroy this information.
philip
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Microsoft Word does indeed have excellent support for RTF files. If you have a set of RTF files saved by any version of Nisus Writer Pro then it's no problem to leave them as-is for Word. All document features should come through nicely, eg: text, formatting, comments, styles, tracked changes, etc. You don't need to update them.
Daniel Siegel

Post by Daniel Siegel »

Thanks again to both of you for good advice and teaching me something new.

I think this question has been answered.