Upgrade Issues

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Matze

Upgrade Issues

Post by Matze »

Hi nise people,

I have downloaded the NW3 demo version. It has overwritten NW 2.1 but it doesn't use my NW 2.1 prefs. If I want to change shortcuts (for instance Paste Text Only COM-V, it remembers that this is already the Shortcut for "Nur Text einfügen" (shortcut of NW 2.1 german).

How to upgrade now, so that NW3 works with all the settings of NW 2.1?
(I have downloaded NW 2.1 again)

Best, Matze
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Upgrade Issues

Post by martin »

Hello Matze,

I'm sorry that your settings (including your keyboard shortcuts) weren't imported properly when you moved from version 2.x to version 3. That should have happened automatically the first time you launched Nisus Writer Pro 3.

Some quick questions:

1. Are any more distinctive keyboard shortcuts missing? For example, did you ever configure any multi-key shortcuts like Command + BQ for "Block Quote"?

2. Aside from keyboard shortcuts, can you point to any other specific settings that you lost? For example, customized appearance colors.
Matze

Post by Matze »

Hello Martin,

thanks for your reply.
The app is English instead of German in the demo mode.
All shortcuts I have adjusted in NWP 2.1 are missing.
But saved F/R expressions are there and the background colour as well. Also style and formats in my docs.

I can not upgrade anyhow.
After having bought my upgrade license I get "The entered customer name is incorrect. The license key appears to be correct, but the customer name does not match it." when trying to enter the license.
sigh

Best Matze
waltzmn

Post by waltzmn »

Matze wrote:
I can not upgrade anyhow.
After having bought my upgrade license I get "The entered customer name is incorrect. The license key appears to be correct, but the customer name does not match it." when trying to enter the license.
I was about to post about this. I just bought the upgrade and got the same message. But I solved it.

When you sign up for the upgrade, you are asked to fill in your name, etc. Your license key is tied to your name, somehow (I assume some kind of a hash). The order form asked for my first and last name. So I entered "Robert" and "Waltz." Paid the fee, and got a license number.

Went to the License... menu item in the NWP 3.0 demo. It asked for my name and license number. I typed in my name as I normally sign it: "Robert B. Waltz." Put in the license number. Got the same error message you did.

Took the "B." out of my name, tried again as "Robert Waltz." It worked.

I don't like this much; my copy of NWP has a slightly wrong name in it. And what if I'd mis-typed my name? But you can find the name you used by looking on your e-mailed receipt. I would thing that would solve it.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Robert is correct. Nisus Writer Pro 3 license keys are tied to your name (or email), as provided by the customer during the ordering process. You must enter your name in Nisus Writer exactly as it appeared during the order and as listed on your receipt. A missing middle initial or similar typo would fail to validate.

If you don't like the name that's tied to your license key please write to us and we can change it. The goal is merely to discourage casual piracy, not to make our users unhappy.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

All shortcuts I have adjusted in NWP 2.1 are missing.
But saved F/R expressions are there and the background colour as well. Also style and formats in my docs.
That's good news. So it's just your keyboard shortcuts that are missing. That is unexpected, as your keyboard shortcuts should have been transferred seamlessly from version 2 to 3, but not as serious. If you want to pursue the matter Matze we can help . Here's what you can do to reset version 3 to re-import your shortcuts from version 2:

1. Quit Nisus Writer if it is running.

2. Locate the shortcut files as saved by version 3. The file is called "keyboard shortcuts.plist" and can be stored in a variety of places.

2a: If you established a synchronized settings location in your version 3 preferences, that's one place the plist file will be stored. For example, I use Dropbox so that's where this file resides:
prefs.png
prefs.png (41.42 KiB) Viewed 20590 times
folder.png
folder.png (56.38 KiB) Viewed 20590 times

2b: Another copy of the shortcuts plist file may be stored in Nisus Writer's local sandbox. This is the enclosing folder's path:

Code: Select all

~/Library/Containers/com.nisus.NisusWriter/Data/Library/Application Support/Nisus Writer Pro/Settings
Delete that copy as well.

3. Clear the flag that tells version 3 that it already imported your keyboard shortcuts. You can do this in the Terminal with the following command:

Code: Select all

defaults delete com.nisus.NisusWriter com.nisus.menuKeys.convertedForPro3
4. Launch version 3. It should now re-import your shortcuts from version 2.

One final note: customized keyboard shortcuts may not appear on the menus immediately. They are actually loaded in the background as idle time is found. To verify that your shortcuts have been imported correctly it would be better to try to trigger them, look in the Menu Key preferences, or use the menu Macro > Application > Show All Menu Key Shortcuts.

I hope that helps.
Matze

Post by Matze »

Dear Martin

thanks for your hints, but they didn't work.
No shortcuts.
BUT when I run the macro, as you suggested, the Untitled file liste all my NW2 shortcuts.
Anyway, I will define them from scratch.

Best, Matze
Matze

Post by Matze »

martin wrote: 2018-10-29 13:50:34 Robert is correct. Nisus Writer Pro 3 license keys are tied to your name (or email), as provided by the customer during the ordering process. You must enter your name in Nisus Writer exactly as it appeared during the order and as listed on your receipt. A missing middle initial or similar typo would fail to validate.

If you don't like the name that's tied to your license key please write to us and we can change it. The goal is merely to discourage casual piracy, not to make our users unhappy.
Hi Martin,
Bildschirmfoto 2018-10-30 um 06.14.39.png
Bildschirmfoto 2018-10-30 um 06.14.39.png (45.74 KiB) Viewed 20569 times
I am not in the US ;) but my name is exactly the one I've typed.

Best, Matze
waltzmn

Post by waltzmn »

Martin wrote:
One final note: customized keyboard shortcuts may not appear on the menus immediately. They are actually loaded in the background as idle time is found. To verify that your shortcuts have been imported correctly it would be better to try to trigger them, look in the Menu Key preferences, or use the menu Macro > Application > Show All Menu Key Shortcuts.
Does this delayed loading apply to macros also? I have now gone into NWP 3.0 on at least two occasions (I think three, but I KNOW two) and found all my custom macros are missing. There are some macros on the macro menu, but not those I have written.

Each time I've encountered this, the problem has been resolved by quitting and re-launching NWP 3.0. As long as that always works, the behavior is tolerable, but it's not convenient -- the most recent time I did this, I was running the macro on some text I did NOT want to save; I had taken it out of FileMaker, was munging it, and wanted to put it back into FileMaker after fixing it with the macro, then discard the version in NWP 3.0.

If this is a planned behavior, I think this is a feature request: I'd rather there were a preference whether to do it this way: I'd rather wait a few extra seconds for NWP to launch than to have to guess which features will be available each time I launch it. Which is what this amounts to.
Matze

Post by Matze »

waltzmn wrote: 2018-10-30 05:20:38 Does this delayed loading apply to macros also? I have now gone into NWP 3.0 on at least two occasions (I think three, but I KNOW two) and found all my custom macros are missing. There are some macros on the macro menu, but not those I have written.
No, there is no delay in running macros. But my Macros from NW 2.1 are missing as well.
waltzmn

Post by waltzmn »

Matze wrote, in response to me:
No, there is no delay in running macros. But my Macros from NW 2.1 are missing as well.
This in response to my statement:
Does this delayed loading apply to macros also? I have now gone into NWP 3.0 on at least two occasions (I think three, but I KNOW two) and found all my custom macros are missing. There are some macros on the macro menu, but not those I have written.
Just to clarify here, my response was to Martin. He had said that keyboard shortcuts did not load immediately, but rather loaded in idle time.

I was asking if macros ALSO load in idle time, because some macros have been failing to appear on my menu. If their loading is delayed, that would explain the behavior I have observed; if their loading is NOT delayed, then this is a bug in 3.0.

I have not yet noticed a problem in 3.0 with shortcuts not loading (although I did have that problem in 2.1 at times) -- but I haven't used shortcuts much since the upgrade.

Sorry I can't help with your problems, but this was MY issue with the upgrade. :-)
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Matze wrote: 2018-10-29 21:11:41 thanks for your hints, but they didn't work.
No shortcuts.
BUT when I run the macro, as you suggested, the Untitled file liste all my NW2 shortcuts.
That's really strange and completely unexpected. If the macro is showing your shortcuts they should be operational. The macro takes its data from the same place that Nisus Writer itself looks when matching keyboard shortcuts.

This result points to a different problem. Perhaps Nisus Writer Pro 3 knows all your custom shortcuts from version 2, but for some can't trigger any custom shortcuts, no matter where they came from. Let's try this: can you create a brand new custom shortcut in version 3 and see if it works?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

waltzmn wrote: 2018-10-30 05:20:38Does this delayed loading apply to macros also? I have now gone into NWP 3.0 on at least two occasions (I think three, but I KNOW two) and found all my custom macros are missing.
Each time I've encountered this, the problem has been resolved by quitting and re-launching NWP 3.0.
There is no delay in loading macros. If you have any custom macros they should show on the menu immediately, provided they reside in your chosen macros folder.

I can't explain the behavior you're seeing, but it's definitely not intentional. Let's see if you can't fix the problem by explicitly choosing the macros folder that holds all your custom macros. Use the menu Macro > Choose Macros Folder to verify the correct folder has been selected. Even if the folder selection dialog shows the correct folder, confirm the existing folder and click the "Choose Folder" button.

If you still have trouble after that please let us know.
Matze

Post by Matze »

martin wrote: 2018-10-30 08:32:13 That's really strange and completely unexpected. If the macro is showing your shortcuts they should be operational. The macro takes its data from the same place that Nisus Writer itself looks when matching keyboard shortcuts.
Some other strange things happen. (I have deleted NWP3, started NWP2.1 and upgraded again from "Nach Aktualisierungen suchen" from the Nisus menu. In case it had to do with having both NW2.1 and NW3. Now there is only NW3 on my macbook pro, it still does not accept my name, and it still has got no shortcuts, no macros and no german menu.
BUT:
- If I open NWs pref languages it opens the prefs AND mac os x's keyboard prefs Text!
- NW prefs say everything german, but the language is still English.
martin wrote: 2018-10-30 08:32:13 This result points to a different problem. Perhaps Nisus Writer Pro 3 knows all your custom shortcuts from version 2, but for some can't trigger any custom shortcuts, no matter where they came from. Let's try this: can you create a brand new custom shortcut in version 3 and see if it works?
- If I want to assign a shortcut to Paste text only via NW prefs menu keys it says "Used by "Nur Text einfügen" ... (which is the menu and shortcut from NW2.1)
I can NOT assign another new shortcut to Paste text only, BUT it is possible to assign a shortcut to a menu that has and had no shortcut (as Swap Paste)
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Matze wrote: 2018-10-30 09:43:15Now there is only NW3 on my macbook pro, it still does not accept my name, and it still has got no shortcuts, no macros and no german menu.
This is starting to make sense. Let me break down the problems:

1. I emailed you privately earlier today with your Nisus Writer Pro 3 license key. The name associated with the license key is as you expect and as shown in your screenshot above- Christian Matzerath. If you are still having troubles please let me know.

2. Nisus Writer Pro 3 does not include any non-English localizations. There wasn't time to update our translations before release. You can't yet use German menus/etc in version 3. I'm sorry about this, and for the confusion. The setting in the preferences is misleading and should have been removed. That's our mistake.

3. The lack of a German localization is why your version 2 keyboard shortcuts aren't working. You customized the shortcuts for German menus. Version 3 can't trigger any German menus because all its menus are in English. I'm sorry to say that you'll need to reassign your custom shortcuts for the English menus.