Hiding/remove headers and footers

Get help using and writing Nisus Writer Pro macros.
vwnisus

Hiding/remove headers and footers

Post by vwnisus »

Nisus Writer Pro 2.1.8 / macOS 10.13.4

In the simple formatting macro I am creating I would like to include a command that hides any/all headers/footers. (I can see how to manually hide them.)

My search through the macro reference guide does not appear to provide a command for this.

I understand it is not possible to delete them.

Any help would be gratefully received.
Þorvarður

Re: Hiding/remove headers and footers

Post by Þorvarður »

vwnisus wrote: 2018-04-13 06:46:45 In the simple formatting macro I am creating I would like to include a command that hides any/all headers/footers.
How about View:Draft View ?

You may have to adjust the zoom factor for the new view. For example:
View:Draft View
Set Zoom 180 # or whatever zoom factor you use
vwnisus

Post by vwnisus »

Thank you for the reply.

I should have added to my original post, is that I wish to print the document (either to a printer, or to a PDF) and do not wish to have the headers/footers showing at all. Something which draft view will not help with.

Is it simply not possible to achieve with macro commands in Nisus?
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

Hi vw. You mean the "Hidden Headers" and "Hidden Footers" boxes in the "Header/Footer palette". Nah. Currently Nisus doesn't have any macro access to any of the features in the "Section" palette dock (margins, sections, column settings, etc.), in particular also because none of these things have menu commands either.

Here's hoping Nisus will add "Section" and/or "Header" &"Footer" objects with suitable properties and commands in some not too distant future…

If you want to print out without the headers/footers it would be possible to write a macro that deletes the content of all headers and footers, prints out, and then restores the headers and footers. This would be a kludge, but it's what's possible at the moment.
philip
adryan

Post by adryan »

G’day, vwnisus et al

A couple of other possible solutions occur to me.

One is to make the header and footer text the same color as the background.

Another is to overlay the header and the footer with opaque rectangular shapes of the same color as the background and then toggle the “Draw behind text” option in the Shape Wrap Palette. While I can find no obvious object-related command in the Macro Language to do this toggling, one could just access the desired command via the hierarchical menu:–

Tools > Shapes > Text Wrapping > Text Behind Shape (or Shape Behind Text)

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Adrian
MacBook Pro (M1 Pro, 2021)
macOS Ventura
Nisus Writer user since 1996
vwnisus

Post by vwnisus »

Thank you for the replies and suggestions.

It is unfortunate that there are these 'holes' in the macro language as they prevent creating a macro to automate some formatting changes.