New user – problems so far ...

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
Chris

New user – problems so far ...

Post by Chris »

Yes, all in all, on the first look NWX2 (2.0.1) is quite a nice program, clean user interface, many things can be done quite intuitively. Especially I like how sections are solved!

But since I brought it – admittedly a little on the enthusiastic side – mainly for writing university papers I encountered a number of problems which actually make the 60 $ purchase a quite useless one right now ...

The problems:

1. No numbered headings (1, 1.1, 1.1.1 etc)? Ok, I could do that manually – but think early versions of Word for DOS could do this ...

2. How do I generate a TOC? – Oh – by hand I guess – oh well, see point one ...

3. How do I fix a broken/wrong hyphenation?

4. Footnotes! A whole (little) set of problems to themselves, I guess:

4.1 I created a test document (as potential »master« with three sections, one for the title page, one for the TOC and the last one for the content) and it has two footnotes (on one page). The second one I couldn't remove. NWX would go in an endless spinning beach ball mode and I had to kill the app. I just tried removing the first one and it worked, after that I was able to also remove the former second footnote.

4.2 Footnote formating: In the document mentioned above I set the normal text to Times 12pt with 1.5 line spacing and 6pt spacing after the paragraph. The footnote should be in Times 10pt (which works) with 1.0 line spacing and 0pt after paragraph spacing – which doesn't work because then the footnotes overlap with the normal text. Only the same 1.5/6pt spacing combination in both footnotes and normal text seems to work properly, but that's not what I want/need. Hard to believe that the only way to determine the space between text and footnotes should be to via the footnotes line and paragraph spacing ... :?

5. On the first page I've inserted a PDF image (the logo of my university). I made it smaller in NWX2 to fit on the page but that didn't stick when saving and reopening the document. Now it shows just a section of the logo scaled the 100% in the size I originally rescaled it. Also keeping the proportions while scaling (via pressing shift) doesn't seem to work correctly, at least not for an image that is originally wider than the page. (Same problem with the EPS version.)

Looking at that little (but probably growing) list I don't even dare to think about using NWX2 for writing a 30+ pages paper with at least two dozen footnotes. And of course I now wish I played to a little longer with the evaluation version before rushing out and registering NWX so prematurely – but that's of course my silly fault ... :( *sigh*
charles

Post by charles »

Hi:

I'm sorry you are having these problems with Nisus Writer Express. We do not currently support numbering or tables of contents, but we are working on adding those features so stay tuned!

You should not be having these problems with footnotes, but some others have been experiencing some of these issues also and we are working to correct them as quickly as possible. If it is possible, could you send us the file that has these problems using the "Send Feedback" commend in Help? Please include in your description the same information you posted here. We will look at the file and use it to try to correct these bugs for you.

I'm glad you liked NWe2 to start with. We will try to get these problems resolved for you as quickly as we can so your purchase will be worth it for you!

-Charles
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Hi,

thanks for quick reply! I'll send the problem description and file via the feedback function in the next days.

Chris