Bug when changing image from inline to float

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
rfwilmut

Bug when changing image from inline to float

Post by rfwilmut »

This only applies in one particular document (attached) where it worked OK before. I've managed a workaround, but it does suggest a bug which may surface elsewhere.

In the previous version of Nisus, I could drag an image into the attached document (which contains lines for resizing which are then deleted). It would appear as inline, but could be changed to 'Position on page of paragraph' and then resized to fit within the required lines.

In the current version, changing to 'Position on page of paragraph' causes the image to disappear. Changing it back to inline causes it to reappear.

This behaviour does not happen in a blank document but I can reproduce it under certain conditions as follows:

1. Create a blank document.

2. Create a rectangular image which covers most of the page, leaving about a line at the top.

3. Click above the image to bring up the text cursor.

4. Drag in a moderate sized image. It will appear inline behind the rectangle (both move to a second page)

5. Click the new image and change to 'Position on page of paragraph'. It will disappear and the document revert to one page. Deleting the large rectangle does not bring the inserted image back.
Attachments
Old Pocket Diary Template - Nisus.dot
(96.86 KiB) Downloaded 294 times
phspaelti

Re: Bug when changing image from inline to float

Post by phspaelti »

I tried your instructions with a new file, and I could not reproduce it. But with your template, I do find that if I drag in an image and switch it to a floating image that it disappears. The image is still present and reappears if I save and reopen the file, but of course the disappearance is disconcerting. I did not notice any movement of the images to a second page.
philip
rfwilmut

Post by rfwilmut »

The movement to a second page doesn't happen with the file I attached, only with the experiment I did.

Try the experiment with the files attached herewith. Open Bug test.rtf then drag timemachine.jpg where indicated - the text line above the large rectangle. When I do this both images move to a second page, leaving a blank page above them; converting the smaller image to a floating one causes it to disappear and the document to revert to a single page. (I'm on Mavericks, if this makes any difference). (The content of the Time Machine image is irrelevant, it was just conveniently to hand.)
Attachments
timemachine.jpg
timemachine.jpg (14.93 KiB) Viewed 4452 times
Bug test.rtf
(48.78 KiB) Downloaded 295 times
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Thank you very much for the example document and test image. I've confirmed the poor behavior. The good news is that the image is not gone, it's just no longer in view.

When you ask Nisus Writer Pro (NWP) to convert the image from inline to floating, it tries to keep the image in the same place on screen. Because the image was on page 2 when the conversion occurred, the image now floats at the top of page two. However, since your document only has one page, you never see the top of page two, so the converted image no longer appears on screen.

Naturally NWP should handle this situation more gracefully. However, if you zoom out far enough (so page one is shorter than the document window), you can see and manipulate the newly floating image. I hope that helps, and sorry for the confusion.
rfwilmut

Post by rfwilmut »

Thank you for that. With the second file I posted it worked as you describe. With the first one, the image disappears when you convert to float; bizarrely, moving the original layout image slightly brings it back...

What I would really like to see is a preference to set dragged-in images appear as floating: I practically never want images to be inline. This might (or might not) clear this issue. (In the case of this specific file it doesn't matter as I found a different way of achieving the effect I wanted).