Saving documents

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
dumiya

Re: Saving documents

Post by dumiya »

I will check the OS version and the Preferences on the Office computer when I am there next.. I think it is 10.7.5. (Lion) it is a 2006 20 iMac . I do have a copy of Pro 2 that I can reinstall if necessary. All else other than the 'Saving' is very good, very happy. I may have to find an easy work around.

The Saving Preference on this 2010 iMac is unchecked and I have not had the same problem - I will double check with a new file later.

I can't use Nisus with iCloud as I think Nisus wants to put its 'Nisus Folder' in iCloud Drive.

Nisus program I have installed is Pro 2.1

Thanks
dshan

Post by dshan »

ngazidja wrote:I upgraded to Mavericks a few months ago, probably the worst decision of my life (although there was an incident in 1982 which comes close, but I won't go into it here). Anyway, it took me about a week full time to downgrade back to 10.7.5 (I'd done a new full back up wth Mavericks and all my 10.7.5 system had been overwritten so I had to do it all manually. Won't make that mistake again.).

I've downgraded NWP now and all is fine.
I'm afraid all is the exact opposite of fine.
dumiya

Post by dumiya »

Saving update.
I opened a New File, immediately 'Save" to desk top. Wrote a few words "save" closed file and WOW it did not delete it.
Looks like when I "Saved As" Nisus got confused and when closing the file deleted the original and the copy.
Every thing else works fine.
So all good :lol: :lol:
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Vanceone wrote:if you really want to manually manage your saving, System Preferences->General and then click the checkbox next to "Ask to keep changes". That brings back most of the old functionality; e.g. asking you to explicitly save changes.
Nisus Writer Pro (NWP) version 2.1 did not properly respect the system preference "Ask to keep changes when closing documents". We have fixed this for the latest public beta of NWP version 2.1.1.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

For those of you using NWP version 2.1 (or 2.1.1) and OSX 10.7:
ngazidja wrote:I spoke too soon in any case, yesterday I ended up with three copies of a file on the desktop and when I thought I'd saved and then closed it, two of them disappeared. At least I still had one... I'm using 10.7.5.
dumiya wrote:Looks like when I "Saved As" Nisus got confused and when closing the file deleted the original and the copy.
These problems may be fixed in the latest public beta of NWP version 2.1.1. However, we couldn't reproduce the problem, so it's impossible to know for sure. If you continue to have problems, please contact us directly via the menu Help > Send Feedback. Thank you.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

With some additional testing and help, we've been able to replicate this unwanted behavior that's triggered on OSX 10.7. We believe we’ve discovered the cause of the bug and just made available a public beta of NWP version 2.1.1 that should solve the problem. If you continue to have problems after installing beta 6, please contact us directly via the menu Help > Send Feedback. Thank you!
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

We've just officially released a final version of Nisus Writer Pro 2.1.1 that fixes this problem.
ngazidja

Post by ngazidja »

But it "can't be installed on this computer"... have some other requirements changed??
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

ngazidja wrote:But it "can't be installed on this computer"... have some other requirements changed??
That's odd. No, the system requirements have not changed: OS X 10.7.5 is still the minimum required system version.

Are you using the automatic updater or installer package (.pkg)? If so, perhaps you can try downloading a regular zip from our update page and replace your NWP app manually.
ngazidja

Post by ngazidja »

It was the zip that I used - I've now tried the update in "Check for Updates" and it works fine.

Thanks!
ngazidja

Post by ngazidja »

Interesting how items in the "Open recent" sub-menu are several iterations old after the upgrade. Or is this just me again...?
ngazidja

Post by ngazidja »

And, indeed, the files that are open in the application after the relaunch of the update. Not the ones that were open before the upgrade, but at least a week older. Now I have to remember what I was doing... :-)
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

ngazidja wrote:Interesting how items in the "Open recent" sub-menu are several iterations old after the upgrade. Or is this just me again...?
This is a result of using Nisus Writer Pro (NWP) version 2.0.7 and 2.1.1 intermittently. One lives inside the sandbox, while the other does not. That means they store their data in separate places, including recently used files, user preferences, etc. The recent files that NWP 2.1.1 is showing you are from when you last used NWP 2.1, not from whatever work you've done after you reverted to NWP 2.0.7.

I hope that makes some sense. Please let me know if you have any questions.