Upgrade-- Lost Toolbar Icons

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
rpinsky

Upgrade-- Lost Toolbar Icons

Post by rpinsky »

In Mac OS X 10.9.5, I upgraded to the new Nisus Writer Pro-- and now instead of toolbar icons for "Open" "New" "Shot Fonts" and others, I have a large "X"-- not a calamity, but annoying. Selecting "Icons only" or "Icons and text" does not change this. What gives?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Upgrade-- Lost Toolbar Icons

Post by martin »

This is a problem with the transition from NWP 2.0.x to NWP 2.1. Unfortunately custom toolbar icons failed to migrate successfully for some users. It will not affect the functionality of your toolbar items, though it’s ugly. If you delete and recreate the custom items, the icons should remain intact. I'm sorry for the hassle.
vitaka

Post by vitaka »

Sorry Martin, I just did that but the icons for "Superscript" & "Show invisibles" just aren't there.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Please let me explain this in greater detail: Nisus Writer Pro (NWP) does not come with toolbar items (or icons) for the commands "Superscript" or "Show invisibles". Those two are both custom toolbar items you must have added at some point in the past. When you switched from NWP version 2.0.x to 2.1 the icons you had configured for those two custom toolbar items were lost because NWP 2.1 did not migrate them correctly. That is why you are seeing those large X icons.

To remedy this you will need to delete and recreate the custom toolbar items with the broken icons:
1. Use the menu View > Toolbar > Customize Toolbar.
2. Drag the undesirable item out from the toolbar to some any other area on your screen, so that the icon shows a "poof" animation.
3. In the confirmation dialog that appears, click the "Delete Permanently" button.
4. Repeat steps 2-3 for all undesired toolbar items.
5. Click the "Done" button to end toolbar customization.
6. Use the menu View > Toolbar > Add Custom Toolbar Item to recreate the toolbar items, setting icons however you desire.

I hope that helps. I'm sorry for the hassle.
rpinsky

Post by rpinsky »

That worked for me-- the need to "permanently delete" and icon caused needless fear.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

I'm glad it worked. And even though it sounds like you have this icon business in order, we just released a public beta of Pro 2.1.1 that should automatically restore any toolbar icons you added in Pro 2.0.x (before sandboxing). You can download the Pro 2.1.1 beta here. The beta should be relatively stable, since the number of changes is small and focussed, but all the usual warnings about running beta software apply. We expect to have a proper release soon enough.