all my images are gone

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
feat

all my images are gone

Post by feat »

NW 2.0.2 here!

In my RTFD document, all of my 98 images have been replaced by something like:
image-1-1-1-1-1.pdffillOpacity65536dxWrapDistLeft0dyWrapDistTop0dxWrapDistRight0dyWrapDistBottom0

I checked the directory for that unfortunate file: all images are gone!

Besides, I know I never named an image: image-1-1-1-1-1, simply because there's no way to retrieve what it refers to!

What the hell happened to my file?
CrisB

Re: all my images are gone

Post by CrisB »

Maybe install NWP 2.0.7, retrieve a backup from Time Machine which you know still had all the images, and see if they're still there in 2.0.7. If this was earlier today, do this immediately since Time Machine deletes the hourly copies...

If it's still open, then save any changes to your existing file using Save As, so as you don't save any changes to that file from the way it was last saved...

Hope this helps, Cris
Find strategies to improve your effectiveness at http://www.lifestrategies.net
feat

Post by feat »

Thanks for your suggestion, but why 2.0.7?

I don't need any unreliable release for the time being, not in a critical situation: I will not jeopardize my work until this project is finished...

And yes, I've got backup copies: I just want to know what happened to my files.
CrisB

Post by CrisB »

feat wrote:Thanks for your suggestion, but why 2.0.7?
Because the higher last number, but still v2.0, tells you it's a bug fix version not a new release. So there will be very little in the way of new facilities, but lots of bugs fixed since your obsolete 2.0.2. NWP 2.0.2 has been replaced. To investigate Nisus will want to know if it still occurs with the latest version...

There's usually very little danger in installing such bugfix versions, and you can check the 2.0.7 software release notes anyway to see what's been fixed. With Nisus, they test pretty thoroughly so I installed 2.0.7 with absolutely no hesitation. With other companies I might hesitate on installing v2.1 or v3.0, but Nisus inspire confidence, and I've been part of their beta testing team anyway.
Find strategies to improve your effectiveness at http://www.lifestrategies.net
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

feat wrote:In my RTFD document, all of my 98 images have been replaced by something like:
image-1-1-1-1-1.pdffillOpacity65536dxWrapDistLeft0dyWrapDistTop0dxWrapDistRight0dyWrapDistBottom0
That is a very strange image name to be sure. Even discounting the errantly prolific "-1" suffixes, the rest of that name looks like a bunch of RTF controls and parameters jammed together, eg: "fillOpacity65536". I would expect such a thing from a damaged file, or when opening the document in an application that doesn't quite understand RTF, but obviously NWP does understand RTF (and RTFD).

If you could zip and email us an example file, we could take a look and see what might have gone wrong.
Groucho

Post by Groucho »

Have you tried opening the rtfd? In the finder, right-click on the file icon and select Show Package Contents. You should see all your image files there. If not, they are gone and irretrievable.

Greetings, Henry.