When will we get a major upgrade of NWP?

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Agnostus

Re: When will we get a major upgrade of NWP?

Post by Agnostus »

But updating the UI, "who uses drawers anymore?" ... I really couldn't care less about that. For me NWP's drawer with its tabs and the ability to have more than one palette under each tab suits me fine; all that matters is that I know where to find the things that I need, not whether the UI conforms to this year's fashion. I don't find the floating palette system in say Pages or Keynote any more functional than NWP's drawer.
Hi Mark,

I am with you when it comes to floating palettes. And while I was the one who started complaining here about the drawer, I have to say that I like the general idea of having the palettes docked there at the side of the window. It just isn't that elegant when going into full screen, which I find desirable for writing because I have the attention span of a gold fish. Rather than floating palettes, I basically thought of something like the tool-drawer but as a panel inside the window, like the right hand info area of the Scrivener window. I think a bunch of apps have started to adopt that approach. I find that to replicate the functionality of the tool drawer rather well. It is basically the same thing except it is inside the window rather than at the side and kind of behind it. That way it plays well with full screen view which is good for people like me wh... oh, what's that on twitter...
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

Agnostus wrote:It also feels like the UI could use some streamlining. Maybe it is time to replace the good old palette drawer with a palette panel that will look more in place in fullscreen mode. Wonder also if the comments system could use some visual updating.

And, I know I repeat my self, but split document view, please!
Split document window, for sure, but hey, don’t lose the Palette Drawer! I never use full screen mode. :o

Cheers, geoff
fifkikker

Post by fifkikker »

I am very pleased with Nisus Writer Pro as it is. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, they say. It runs very smooth (e.g. when using trackpad to zoom in/out) and is quite complete. I am happy the way the UI is. I probably wouldn't be happy with a complete make-over. What would be great to see included in a next version is footnotes from within tables and more advanced options for underlining (style, thickness, etc.) and an option for overlining.
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

fifkikker wrote:I am very pleased with Nisus Writer Pro as it is. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, they say. It runs very smooth (e.g. when using trackpad to zoom in/out) and is quite complete. I am happy the way the UI is. I probably wouldn't be happy with a complete make-over. What would be great to see included in a next version is footnotes from within tables and more advanced options for underlining (style, thickness, etc.) and an option for overlining.
If I remember correctly, the underlining was a problem from the get go because Nisus was using the Apple text engine; they couldn’t fiddle with it and Apple kept promising to do stuff to it but never got around to that. Mellel didn’t trust Apple, so the bloke wrote his own text engine which ultimately gave him a much freer hand in development. Then Apple came out with Pages which I believe does not use Apple's own text engine (I might be quite wrong there, but I remember rumblings in the ranks, I'm sure -- or was that rank rumblings?).

One of the major things I'm concerned about is the tables and also the page margins. I want those things lockable! It is all too easy to make nasty moves with them.

Of course, the notion of an upgrade is assuming that the lights are still on at Nisus and there is not just some gnome living in a garret somewhere alternately writing emails offering special details and signing himself "Dave" and occasionally coming on to the forum with a word of advice or acknowledgement and signing himself "Martin". I remember a wonderful Saki short story about a London newspaper staff who transported themselves to Samarkand. When they were kidnapped and held to ransom, the office boy they left behind refused to pay the ransom and simply produced the paper on his own. Could something similar have happened at Nisus?

Cheers, geoff
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

No doubt the real Dave (or Martin, or Mark) will show up here in this forum to correct your impression. But will it be the real Dave? Or will it be "Dave"? :)
philip
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Post by rmark »

This is the "real" Mark to let you know that in both Nisus Writer Express 3.x and Nisus Writer Pro 2.x page margins are "lockable". Choose the menu command View > Page Guides > Lock Page Guides. And, if you turn off the display of the Page Guides, Nisus Writer Pro automatically locks them (turning on the command Lock Page Guides).

I hope this little bit of information helps.

We are real, here (actually everywhere) and we're not spending our time surfing (waves or Web). Keep the conversation going.
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

rmark wrote:This is the "real" Mark to let you know that in both Nisus Writer Express 3.x and Nisus Writer Pro 2.x page margins are "lockable". Choose the menu command View > Page Guides > Lock Page Guides. And, if you turn off the display of the Page Guides, Nisus Writer Pro automatically locks them (turning on the command Lock Page Guides).

I hope this little bit of information helps.

We are real, here (actually everywhere) and we're not spending our time surfing (waves or Web). Keep the conversation going.
I never noticed that or in my dotage I forgot. Thank you "Mark". :)

Of course, the only proof of the veracity of your claims that all the chaps are beavering away like mad will be the issue of a serious upgrade. Until we see that, regrettably we will have to regard your statements about the reality of a Mark" and of a persona called "Dave" (refer "Space Odyssey 2001" and more recently, "Stone Canal") as, on balance, less probable than our postulated gnome kn a garret.

We look forward to your proof presentation day.

Cheers, geoff
HAL

Post by HAL »

I'm sorry Dave,

I'm afraid I can't do that.

HAL
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

This is the "real" Martin, and yes, the lights (and gnomes) are still ablaze at Nisus! Well, the gnomes are more churning away than on fire.