Need a hyperlink on an image in a pdf

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
CrisB

Need a hyperlink on an image in a pdf

Post by CrisB »

I wish to put a hyperlink on an image, so when a pdf is created and the image is clicked on, then it'll go to that url. Just as you can put a hyperlink on an image on a web-page.

Is this possible now? If so, how? I've tried selecting the image, but then Insert/Hyperlink options are all greyed out.

If this is not possible, then it would be a very valuable addition to NWP's pdf creation capabilities. If you're one of those who use NWP to create pdfs, then please post to indicate how useful you would find this enhancement. Thanks.
phspaelti

Re: Need a hyperlink on an image in a pdf

Post by phspaelti »

I have the following idea for a crude work around.
  • Enter a hyperlink in the usual way
  • As the text for the link use spaces (or option spaces)
  • Set your image as "Moves with paragraph", and turn text wrap off (have text flow over the image)
  • Place the image under the (hidden) text link
philip
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

CrisB wrote:I wish to put a hyperlink on an image, so when a pdf is created and the image is clicked on, then it'll go to that url. Just as you can put a hyperlink on an image on a web-page.

Is this possible now? If so, how? I've tried selecting the image, but then Insert/Hyperlink options are all greyed out.
I just tried it myself and the link was added and remains clickable in a saved PDF. I suspect what explains the difference in observed behavior is that your image is a floating image (ie: text wraps around the image), while my image was an inline image (ie: behaves as a regular text character). You should have no trouble adding links to inline images.

If you'd like to add a link to a floating image, you'll first have to embed that image in a floating text box. In other words, you'll let the floating text box handle wrapping text around the image, and just insert the image into the text box as an inline image. Images placed inline inside a floating text box can have links added to them.

One tip: to easily convert a floating image into an inline image embedded in a floating text box use the "Add Caption to Image" command, available on the image's contextual menu or "Shapes" main menu.
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

I guess what had ME confused was that while the link insertion works, the link is not clickable in Nisus, only in the pdf. In Nisus clicking on the image selects the image and switches to image editing.
philip
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

phspaelti wrote:I guess what had ME confused was that while the link insertion works, the link is not clickable in Nisus, only in the pdf. In Nisus clicking on the image selects the image and switches to image editing.
I didn't notice that, and you're right, the image with the link applied should be clickable somehow. That's going to be a bit awkward though, since I imagine users don't want to open the link every time they select the image for editing. Maybe there could be a special hotspot on the selected image that shows a link icon, which would open the link when clicked. We'll have to think about it, thanks.
CrisB

Post by CrisB »

martin wrote:Maybe there could be a special hotspot on the selected image that shows a link icon, which would open the link when clicked.
Thanks, Martin, an icon for the link on the image would do nicely, I need it to to check that the link is set up correctly and goes where I want ti to go...
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

CrisB wrote:Thanks, Martin, an icon for the link on the image would do nicely, I need it to to check that the link is set up correctly and goes where I want ti to go...
In the meantime you can still use the menus to introspect/activate the link (eg: use the contextual menu).
CrisB

Post by CrisB »

martin wrote:In the meantime you can still use the menus to introspect/activate the link (eg: use the contextual menu).
Appreciate the suggestion, Martin, I hadn't thought of that.
Find strategies to improve your effectiveness at http://www.lifestrategies.net