Trouble with Cmd + Y from NWP to Bookends

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
soliphint

Trouble with Cmd + Y from NWP to Bookends

Post by soliphint »

I used to be able to use Cmd +Y to move from NWP to BE and back. For some reason, I can now only move from BE to NWP. When I hit Cmd + Y in NWP it is not responsive. Any idea what might have changed?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Trouble with Cmd + Y from NWP to Bookends

Post by martin »

Perhaps you changed your keyboard shortcuts? What happens if you use the menu Tools > Bibliography > Scan Document directly?
zwick_genetics

Post by zwick_genetics »

I had this problem also. Based on a suggestion from the Bookends forum that there is a Mac OS X 10.8.2 bug at work, I restarted my system. Seem to resolve the problem.
soliphint

Post by soliphint »

The document scans fine, and there are/were no changes to my keyboard shortcuts. NWP just won't do Cmd+Y to Bookends any more.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

soliphint wrote:The document scans fine, and there are/were no changes to my keyboard shortcuts.
To be clear, when you say it scans fine, you mean that using the menu command "Scan Document" does the Bookends scan properly?
NWP just won't do Cmd+Y to Bookends any more.
What happens when you press it? Do you get a beep or an error message? Anything?
soliphint

Post by soliphint »

I just get a beep, no error message. I can Cmd + Tab over to BE and then Cmc +Y back to NWP, so it's not a life-changer. I was just spoiled by Cmd + Y both directions.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

soliphint wrote:I just get a beep, no error message.
If you hear a beep that likely means Nisus Writer doesn't recognize the keyboard shortcut, but that's not certainly the cause, so again I'll ask: what happens if you use the menu Tools > Bibliography > Scan Document directly? ie: what happens if you use the mouse cursor to pull down that menu and select that command directly?

While we're at it, let me ask: does the menu Tools > Bibliography > Scan Document in Nisus Writer display your Command + "Y" keyboard shortcut?
soliphint

Post by soliphint »

As I said, the document scans fine. When I go to Tools, Biblio, Scan, it scans and formats the footnotes. There is no keyboard command by "Scan Document." But scanning is not the problem; the only problem is that, while I was in NWP, I could, from the footnote, hit Cmd +Y and it would jump to BE, then I could get my reference, select it in BE, hist Cmd +Y again and it would jump back to NWP. It was a nice fast way to move between the two. Now it only works one way, from BE to NWP. But, as I said, all scans and formats well, when I go to Tools, Biblio, Scan Doc.
soliphint

Post by soliphint »

OK. I think I've got it fixed. I went to System Preferences, Keyboard shortcuts, and added Cmd+Y to "Find References." Now it seems to work. Not sure why it quit working, as I had never added that shortcut before, but now it seems to move both directions on Cmd+Y - from NWP to BE and back. Thanks for the patient help.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Excellent, I'm glad you were able to add the shortcut and get it working.

You should also know that Nisus Writer has its own built-in keyboard shortcut preference. In the NWP preferences switch to the "Menu Keys" pane. It will allow you to set not only basic shortcuts like Command + "Y", but also multi-key shortcuts like Command + "H1" to apply Heading 1, if you wish.
soliphint

Post by soliphint »

Thanks again for the tips, and for sticking with me on this.
soliphint

Post by soliphint »

Perhaps this is a BE problem, so I have posted to them as well, but I have now set a keyboard shortcut from Nisus to BE, when I'm in a footnote, so that the shortcut takes me from NWP footnote to BE. However, when it switches me to BE, the Find dialog box pops up automatically in BE. Is there a way to avoid that, so that when I go from NWP to BE via the shortcut there will be no Find box? (By the way, I've assigned the shortcut to "Activate Bookends," "Insert Citation," and "Find Reference" from the Tools, Bibliography Menu in NWP and get the same behavior with all three).
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

I just tried it myself and had no trouble with an unwelcome Bookends' find dialog showing up. If I use the command "Activate Bookends" from NWP it activates Bookends without the find dialog showing, and if I used the command "Find Reference" the find dialog does show, as expected.

I should say that I used the menu command directly (ie: with the mouse) to test, no keyboard shortcuts involved. I'd recommend you try the same, to be sure the keyboard shortcut is activating the command you think it should.
soliphint

Post by soliphint »

There's obviously something goofy going on with my system. I tried the mouse to initiate commands, and no problem. Then I tried the Cmd+Y again and got the beep, no moving to BE. So, I deleted the customized keyboard command, and redid it in Sys Prefs, inserting the "Find Reference" command, and now it goes to BE without the Search box. Very weird. We'll see how stable this is. Thanks again.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

We're glad to help! If the system keyboard shortcuts are acting goofy I'd recommend this:

1. Quit NWP.
2. Delete all keyboard shortcuts you've assigned to NWP in your OSX system preferences.
3. Relaunch NWP and assign the keyboard shortcuts through NWP's "Menu Key" preferences instead.