Addiing Check Mark Boxes to a Line

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
charlie2342

Addiing Check Mark Boxes to a Line

Post by charlie2342 »

What is the easiest way to add a check mark box? It would be nice if it were one of the options for a list predecessor character.
xiamenese

Re: Addiing Check Mark Boxes to a Line

Post by xiamenese »

charlie2342 wrote:What is the easiest way to add a check mark box? It would be nice if it were one of the options for a list predecessor character.
Not quite sure what you mean by "predecessor character" but if you want an empty "Ballot box" character, it's U+2610 (UTF-8 E2 98 90) found in the list of bullets and stars under "Character viewer" accessible from the Keyboard menu; with a check mark in it, it's U+2611 (UTF-8 E2 98 91); with an X in it, it's U+2612 (UTF-8 E2 98 92).

The empty ballot box and the one with a check mark should also be one of the "bullets" you can choose in making a bullet-list list style. When you choose "Bullet list" from the Lists palette, near the bottom, there's a button labelled "Bullet" which produces a drop down list. They're down near the bottom of that list.

If you want an empty box where you can put the check mark or X or remove it, you could use find and replace between those characters and macroize it, or better heads than I might be able to tell you a better solution.

Mark
charlie2342

Post by charlie2342 »

Your discussion of "Ballot Box" character is exactly what I needed.The first two paragraphs answer my question.

CJ
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Thanks for helping out Mark! Of course, it would be nice if NWP had a default built-in checkbox list too. I think this is already something we have filed as an improvement to add, but I'll check, thanks.
xiamenese

Post by xiamenese »

martin wrote:Thanks for helping out Mark! Of course, it would be nice if NWP had a default built-in checkbox list too. I think this is already something we have filed as an improvement to add, but I'll check, thanks.
Martin, you added the Ballot Box character to the Bullet list a couple of years ago when I asked how to do it. I thought it was part of the default set, but if not, please make it so. On the other hand, do we really need a separate "Check-Box" list style?

Mark
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

xiamenese wrote:Martin, you added the Ballot Box character to the Bullet list a couple of years ago when I asked how to do it. I thought it was part of the default set, but if not, please make it so. On the other hand, do we really need a separate "Check-Box" list style?
The default settings do include the Ballot Box character on the list of available list bullets, but I think there's still a desire to have an interactive sort of "To Do" list style, where the user can click the ballot box character to toggle a checkmark on/off. Not entirely necessary of course, but would be a nice option.