Nisus 2.0.3 won't open – HELP!

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Anne Cuneo

Nisus 2.0.3 won't open – HELP!

Post by Anne Cuneo »

I downloaded it and installed it, and it asked me whether I wanted to restore my windows. I said yes, and it quit. I started again, it asked again whether I wanted to restore my windows, and I said no, and it quit.
I threw it away and reloaded a fresh copy from your site, and it asked me… I shan't repeat myself. So in panic I redownloaded 2.0.2, it also asked me if I wanted to restore my windows, I said yes, and the application started normally.
I thought I could use 2.03 even if I am not yet on 10.8 (I am stuck at 10.7.4 until my French dictionaries update). Am I doing something wrong?
Help, please!
Anne
Hamid

Re: Nisus 2.0.3 won't open – HELP!

Post by Hamid »

NWP 2.0.3 requires Mac OSX 10.6.6 or higher, so you should be able to use it.
If you run NWP 2.0.2, you can update from within the application by using the menu Check for Updates... (Vérifier les mises-à-jour...).
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

No problem here, Anne, on X.6.8, MBP6,2.

Best regards

Geoffrey Heard
The Ad-Doctor-Online
http://www.ad-doctor-online.com
xiamenese

Post by xiamenese »

Dang it ... there are two threads and I posted my response in the other!

http://nisus.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5044

Mark
Anne Cuneo

Post by Anne Cuneo »

First of all, sorry! I don't know how I posted the thread twice. I was really troubled by the fact I had a problem with the update, a first in my Nisus life!
I suppose I can't suppress the other one, so Martin, when you read this, and I fervently hope you read this soon, do it for me, please!
I have tried all your suggestions. Updated from inside the application, from outside, said yes to restore windows, said no, Nisus 2.0.3 just won't open. I reloaded 2.0.2, and am working on that now, nothing I need is missing, but I am puzzled. This never happened to me before.
By the way, I am using a MacBook Air, 10.7.3, didn't go on to 10.7.4 because my most useful French dictionary had a problem with that, and I am hesitating to install 10.8 for the same reasons. And what if Nisus 2.0.2 didn't work with 10.8?
I need an idea other than the obvious, and I don't have it. :cry:
Martin? Are you there?
Anne
xiamenese

Post by xiamenese »

If you want to diagnose, while Martin & Co are — I hope — enjoying a well-earned weekend's break ...

If you still have 2.0.3 on your MBA, and set up for all users of the machine, you could try opening a new user account to see if it would run there. If it did, that might suggest that there's something up with your preferences file.

Another thing to do would be to move the preferences file out of its place in ~/username/Library/Preferences/ to somewhere like the desktop and then try opening 2.0.3. Again, if that worked it would indicate a problem with the preferences.

Oh, and running a repair permissions might be an idea, in case the permissions have got messed up somewhere affecting 2.0.3, but not 2.0.2.

Just guessing.

Mark
tlw55

Post by tlw55 »

The same thing happened to me. 2.03 would not open. I just move it to the trash and reinstalled 2.02. That got me back in business. I'm sure they will work out the bug soon.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Hi Anne- I'm very sorry you've run into trouble with the update. It doesn't sound like you've done anything wrong, and even if you had, NWP should never crash.
Anne Cuneo wrote:I suppose I can't suppress the other one, so Martin, when you read this, and I fervently hope you read this soon, do it for me, please!
No problem, I've gone ahead and deleted the second/duplicate topic.
Nisus 2.0.3 just won't open.
The best way to diagnose this would be to send in a feedback report. After you launch version 2.0.3 (and it fails/crashes), could you launch version 2.0.2 and use the menu Help > Send Feedback? That should automatically collect the last few crash report, even if it occurred in a different version of Nisus Writer.

Alternatively, you could also copy-paste the report form Apple's crash report window, which should show after 2.0.3 fails to launch- though that wouldn't give us quite as much information.

Hopefully we can work through this and restore your confidence. Thanks for your help!
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

tlw55 wrote:The same thing happened to me. 2.03 would not open. I just move it to the trash and reinstalled 2.02. That got me back in business. I'm sure they will work out the bug soon.
Could you please take the same steps that I gave Anne above (eg: launch 2.0.3 so it crashes, and then use 2.0.2 to submit a feedback report)? That would definitely help us.

Again, sorry for the trouble. Hopefully we can pinpoint the cause soon.