Any way to vary position of Endnotes so they aren't last?

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
stevenrowat

Any way to vary position of Endnotes so they aren't last?

Post by stevenrowat »

Hi,
I'm in the middle of a complex work that uses Endnotes, and having gotten to almost-the-end I realize that it would be very desirable if I could add a section AFTER the Endnotes. In other words, the placement of the Endnotes is important, and needs to be near the end but not the last section. I'd also Iike to continue having them as automatic, since I'm continuously editing the overall content still.

I understand also that there's a feature that allows Endnotes at the end of each section, but this won't work for me; I have a multi-section document that requires Endnotes gathered at one place, near the end (but not quite).

Is there any way to engineer this?

If not, I request it as a future feature: that we be able to choose the place for the Endnotes section, and that it need not be the very end of the entire document.

I don't mind if the final section(s), after the Endnotes, are no longer available for Endnote references; but as it stands Nisus won't even allow me to add any section of any kind at the end of the Endnotes.

Steven Rowat
JHB

Re: Any way to vary position of Endnotes so they aren't last

Post by JHB »

Is there any reason you can't simply put the last part into a separate document? You could then set the page number to whatever is required after the document is complete. You could produce a final document as a PDF by printing both to PDF and combining them with Preview. Or you can do the majority of your work in NWP and switch to a page layout program like InDesign to produce the final copy.

Of course, if you need to distribute either a NWP or Word document, this isn't going to work. It all depends on what you want as the final product.

John
stevenrowat

Post by stevenrowat »

JHB wrote:Is there any reason you can't simply put the last part into a separate document? ....snip
Of course, if you need to distribute either a NWP or Word document, this isn't going to work. It all depends on what you want as the final product.
Thanks for the suggestion, but, yes, I'm intending sending this to someone who requires RTF. I'm sure with many other situations your suggestion would work (combining PDFs).

And as well, since I may be re-drafting it, and like to save sequential drafts while I'm working, it would be easiest if it was one rather than two documents.

As it stands though I've accepted this as a limitation and I'm re-writing the last section of the book so the Endnotes can be last. I'd prefer not, but it seems like my only viable alternative at this point.

S.R.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

stevenrowat wrote:I understand also that there's a feature that allows Endnotes at the end of each section, but this won't work for me; I have a multi-section document that requires Endnotes gathered at one place, near the end (but not quite).
You are correct, Nisus Writer Pro (NWP) does have a section notes feature, which allows placing endnotes at the end of each section. And as you anticipate, this wouldn't help in your situation.
...it would be very desirable if I could add a section AFTER the Endnotes. In other words, the placement of the Endnotes is important, and needs to be near the end but not the last section. I'd also Iike to continue having them as automatic, since I'm continuously editing the overall content still.
I'm afraid there's no direct support for this, but you might be able to workaround the problem.

In the content of your final document endnote, you could insert a page break, followed by whatever content you'd like. If your last endnote is still in flux/unknown, you might consider inserting a dummy endnote at the very end of your regular document content, whose sole purpose is to hold the text of this faux "final section". If you do that, you could set a custom note reference for this final dummy endnote- perhaps a space, so you don't see an additional number/reference for this note.

I hope that helps.
stevenrowat

Post by stevenrowat »

martin wrote: In the content of your final document endnote, you could insert a page break, followed by whatever content you'd like....snip..... If you do that, you could set a custom note reference for this final dummy endnote- perhaps a space, so you don't see an additional number/reference for this note.
I hope that helps.
Interesting workaround; thank you. I may be able to use this.

s.r.