Slow opening files in background

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
ngazidja

Slow opening files in background

Post by ngazidja »

Is this just my problem? NWP seems to stop opening a file if I switch to another app while it's doing so.

When I double click on "report.doc" and NWP starts opening the file, the box comes up with "Converting file format..." and the progress bar, but if I switch to another app (eg,Firefox, to write this), when I go back to NWP, the progress bar is still there and the file is still being opened. It's not just slow, it stops (ok, maybe it's really, really slow - I haven't left it overnight - but I might just do that...). I can wander off and have a cup of coffee and come back and the file's still not open. It's not the file - if I leave NWP in the foreground it takes about 5 seconds.

Anyone else?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Slow opening files in background

Post by martin »

There's a few things we should check, but the first thing I should ask is whether your Mac is a PPC or Intel computer, and if you have the version of Nisus Writer Pro (NWP) with the matching kind of file importer, eg: if you have an Intel Mac, make sure you have the version of NWP with the Intel importer. You can download the proper version from our version listing.
ngazidja

Post by ngazidja »

I remember discussing this a while ago when I upgraded to Lion. I can't remember if I ended up sorting out the NWP Intel upgrade, but I'll try it again. I expect I'll end up buying the 2.0.2 upgrade.
ngazidja

Post by ngazidja »

Yes, already had the Intel version of 1.4.2. So I suppose I need 2.0.2.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

The Intel version of NWP 1.4.2 should work just fine on your Lion/Intel Mac. Of course there's other reasons to upgrade to Pro 2.0.2, but you should be able to import files using 1.4.2 no problem.

Just to be sure you're using/launching the correct version of NWP (instead of another version sitting somewhere on your computer with the old PPC importer), can you please check your NWP preferences? Go to the "Advanced" tab and look to see that the "LibreOffice" based importer is shown:
prefs.png
prefs.png (72.72 KiB) Viewed 10319 times
If that checks out, here's another question:

Once you open the imported file the first time, if you close it and reopen it, does it open faster the second time? Or is the delay just as long the second time, if you have NWP in the background during the import?
ngazidja

Post by ngazidja »

Hi Martin, yes, LibreOffice importer, exactly as per your screen. And, yes, it's the same every time and with every file regardless how often I try. Just stops when it's in the background.

Actually (didn't think of this before) I can close all my finder windows, switch to finder and still be able to see the Nisus progress bar. It ain't moving.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Thanks for checking that. Well, it's interesting that the import always stops when NWP is inactive. That indicates it's not a problem with the initial startup of the background importer (which can sometimes take a while). The next step would be to try and see what NWP is actually doing when it's in this state. Can you please:

1. Trigger the problem (eg: the import that never progresses).
2. Launch Apple's Activity Monitor application (in the Utilities subfolder).
3. Select NWP from the listing of all applications.
4. Click the sample button.
5. Save the resulting sample.

Then send us the saved sample, preferably with a copy of the file you were trying to import when you took the sample. You can send us these materials using the menu Help > Send Feedback, or by emailing directly to:
Thanks for your help- hopefully we can get to the bottom of this.
JHB

Post by JHB »

You haven't got something like App Tamer running, which will stop applications that are in the background (for better battery life)?

John
--
John Brownie, john_brownie@sil.org or j.brownie@sil.org.pg
On furlough in Australia from:
Summer Institute of Linguistics | Mussau-Emira language, Mussau Is.
Ukarumpa, Eastern Highlands Province | New Ireland Province
Papua New Guinea | Papua New Guinea
Ruchama

Post by Ruchama »

I have a similar phenomenon. While I was using Tiger with Nisus 2, it has been the same, namely file conversion did not progress when NWP was in the back. NOw it is only on the first part of opening NWP- conversion will not start when I switch to another application before the progressing window appears. Nisus keeps bumping on the dock until I click on it. If I switch after the progressing window appears, it continues in the background.