Table of Contents shows same page number for all entries

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
landi3337

Table of Contents shows same page number for all entries

Post by landi3337 »

When I generate a TOC, the first chapter is correct (page 1), but all the rest of the chapters show the page number for the very last chapter, instead of the correct number. Anyone heard of this?

Here's what it looks like (a partial example):

Chapter 1 ............................................................. 1
Chapter 2 ........................................................ 156
Chapter 3 ........................................................ 156
Chapter 4 ........................................................ 156

It's actually chapter 18 that starts on page 156, but according to this, they all do.

I have a fairly simple document. It's a book with separate section breaks for each chapter. The page numbering restarts at page one for chapter one, but then it has continuous page numbering through it (it doesn't restart at each section/chapter break). It has different headers and footers in each chapter. Other than that, it's a pretty normal document. I'm only using one heading style and one level for the TOC.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Table of Contents shows same page number for all entries

Post by martin »

The incorrect page numbers appears just after you insert/generate a new TOC? In other words, this isn't simply an older TOC that maybe got screwed up along the way (eg: during import or something).

Could you send the file to us? That would be the fastest way to diagnose the problem.
landi3337

Post by landi3337 »

This was the first time I created the TOC, and the file was a Nisus file the whole time -- not an import from Word or something. Yes, I can send the file. How do I do that and keep the file somewhat confidential (not posted on this forum)? Thanks.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

The easiest way to get a file to us is to use the in-application feedback reporter, available on the menu Help > Send Feedback.

We never share documents sent to us with outside/3rd parties unless we first obtain your permission, and we generally do not retain documents unless required for further testing. However, if you have any additional restrictions on how (or how long) we may use your file, we will honor that request (or if we cannot, then we will delete the file immediately without opening it).
xiamenese

Post by xiamenese »

Another way of dealing with confidentiality problems would be to run a set of search and replace operations substituting random individual letters and/or two-letter sequences ... if you have say four different sets which operate on some of the letters substituted in the previous set, then you'll have a text which has identical length, paragraphing, etc. but which is totally garbled.

I have a macro in my version of Nisus called "Scramble" which I think does something just like that. I don't know where I got it, though.

Mark
xiamenese

Post by xiamenese »

Just thought ... I could upload it, if it would help the OP. If some other more expert NWP user, Kino or phspaelti or someone at Nisus produced it, kudos to you and I apologise for not being able to credit you directly.

Mark
Scramble.nwm
Macro to scramble text, author now unknown
(18.36 KiB) Downloaded 565 times
NisusUser

Post by NisusUser »

I tried to download the script, and it came as a .php file. What might I have done wrong? Thanks!
exegete77

Post by exegete77 »

Howdy. Not sure what went wrong for you. I downloaded just fine. What browser are you using? (I used Chrome)
iMac 21.5” / MBP 13” Retina
Mac user since 1990
NisusUser

Post by NisusUser »

I used Safari 5.1.2 on OS 10.6.8.
exegete77

Post by exegete77 »

Hmmm, just tried Safari (10.7.2) and no problems.
iMac 21.5” / MBP 13” Retina
Mac user since 1990
landi3337

Post by landi3337 »

Sorry for the delayed response. I've sent the file via the feedback method. (I've used Nisus since the late-80's, and I didn't know you had that feature :-)

I'll post any resolution back here for others to see.

By the way, the reason I wanted to keep it somewhat confidential, is it's a novel I'm about to release as e-book, so I didn't want to post it directly on the forum. It was a pleasure writing it using Nisus -- it allowed me to work without worrying about the software. Until the TOC issue, anyway.
landi3337

Post by landi3337 »

OK. How come whenever I take my car to the shop, the problem goes away. "There was a weird sound there yesterday, I swear!"

I just reopened the file (after I sent it via feedback, of course), and rebuilt the TOC using the same method I tried before, and it worked fine. The only thing I did differently was I re-booted the computer. I hadn't done that in several days.

I fixed another minor problem with Nisus once by rebooting. So anyway. It works now. Sorry for the fire alarm.

Xiamenese, you might be interested in the book, especially if you're female. It's set in China: http://lon-dee.com/amira
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Thanks for your help landi3337. With a copy of your file, we've figured some things out:
I just reopened the file (after I sent it via feedback, of course), and rebuilt the TOC using the same method I tried before, and it worked fine. The only thing I did differently was I re-booted the computer. I hadn't done that in several days.
Thanks for sending along the file. I've taken a look and reproduced the problem. And actually, restarting your Mac could not have been the solution. However, the way in which you rebuilt the generated TOC may have fixed the problem.

The bug you're running into has to do with the "Contents" paragraph just before the generated TOC. There's something about having another heading paragraph, but with a style override of "Do Not Include in TOC", just before the TOC that triggers the bug. The way I was going to suggest you workaround the issue is to insert a "Normal" paragraph between the "Contents" heading and generated TOC, and then rebuild your TOC.

We'll file this bug in our issue tracker for fixing. We don't need to retain your document for this, and I'm deleting your file/email now.
landi3337 wrote:OK. How come whenever I take my car to the shop, the problem goes away. "There was a weird sound there yesterday, I swear!"
I've had that experience as well. After working in software, I try to be much more understanding about them telling me there's nothing they can do if they can't reproduce the issue!
landi3337 wrote:I've sent the file via the feedback method. (I've used Nisus since the late-80's, and I didn't know you had that feature :-)
The feedback reporter hasn't been around since the 80's. I think we introduced it in Nisus Writer Express, in the early 2000's.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

NisusUser wrote:I tried to download the script, and it came as a .php file. What might I have done wrong? Thanks!
Perhaps some issue with the forum package we use. More likely it's a problem with your web browser not taking into account the redirects/headers properly, though you say you're using a current version of Safari, so I'm not sure.

In any case, you might be able to simply rename the downloaded ".php" file to "Scramble.nwm".
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

xiamenese wrote:I have a macro in my version of Nisus called "Scramble" which I think does something just like that. I don't know where I got it, though.
Thanks for sharing your macro Mark. I have my own redaction macro that I often find useful. It has the following benefits:

* It makes a new/copy of the current document before scrambling.
* It tries to exchange Latin letters using alternates that are approximately the same width, in the hope that layout is not significantly changed (this is helpful when trying to reproduce bugs).
* Some other scripts are scrambled (eg: Hebrew, Japanese, etc).
* Document properties (eg: author) are also scrambled.

I'm attaching it here in case it's useful for anyone.
Attachments
Redact.nwm
(20.68 KiB) Downloaded 508 times