Pro 2.0.1 public beta (bug fixes and Lion support)

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
greenmorpher

Re: Pro 2.0.1 public beta (bug fixes and Lion support)

Post by greenmorpher »

HeyTalaivan -- pay no attention to dshan's praise of Lion -- his previous post in which he denigrated Brisbane to Sydney's advantage showed how unsound his views are! :lol:

Also, as a Sydney person, he is part owner of the XPT train on which I was traveling from Brisbane to Melbourne. Unbelievable as this might be to any right thinking person, even first class in the XPT trains doesn't have power points into which you can plug your laptop (okay, the mighty 123" MBP has arund 9 hours of battery, but this was a trip involving a total of 27 hours travel time). Sure, the XPT trains are 30 year old technology at this point, but I would respond to that with the fact that Queensland's 30 year old Tilt trains have power points st every seat and the 50 year old Sunlander train has some power points even in economy! dshan's employee on the train suggested they couldn't have proper power outlets on board because of the fluctuations. Another proudly told me I could recharge at Sydney's central station where there were power outlets in the waiting room. Apart from the fact that I was to be there less than an hour changing trains, it turned out there was a long bench suitable for laptop users in the waiting room, but only two power outlets on one wall plate serving the whole thing!

So there goes dshan's credibility on ANYTHING, I believe! :lol:

I like "save as" too -- I like to have control over back-ups and redirections of stuff. And further, wild horses couldn't drag me on to Lion. I'm sticking with Snow Leopard so I can continue to run my Rosetta apps.

There is a rumor around that you can install Rosetta on Lion just by dragging it on board. If it's true, I bet Apple rapidly "repairs" that (in the 1984 sense) with an early "security" update (read "their financial security -- no, rather, super growth").

Cheers, geoff
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

Oops -- forgot to mention that I've just successfully downloaded the beta now that I'm home though the wireless at the youth hostel (where I was sharing a room with two young German backpackers who jumped out of bed early to go to work, and an English bloke who slept very late) was faster than my home ADSL, I think.

Cheers, geoff
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

Ah, that's better with the spelling correction. Thanks, all. Amazing how tense I could get over that second movement -- particularly when I was reduced to working with the far too sensitive trackpad. The "Correct and Add to Quickfix" as a nice touch.

Now we need "Transformations" changed to the same title as in the Edit menu -- "Convert".

Actually, I wonder whether that contextual menu hasn't become too big so that stuff is a bit lost in the clutter. There's stuff in there that seems to me needn't be there, such as bolding, italics, underlining, etc. We have all been doing that with the key strokes since our first day on Mac. So "Font" could go. A;so "Spelling". I wonder about the Character and Paragraph Styles too. I have mine with key stroke shortcuts; I wouldn't think of mousing to a menu for them. And I have the Tooldrawer open too.

Cheers, geoff
dshan

Post by dshan »

Geoff, please read what I said, I never claimed Sydney to be superior to Brisbane (though it is of course, but not so much at this time of year). I was saying Sydney (and Melbourne even) are better than a smelly youth hostel in Brisbane when it comes to WiFi and internet connectivity. You disagree?

As to your, um, emphatic disapproval of the power arrangements on the XPT trains - wow. Just wow. I would point out that those wonderful Queensland tilt trains have been known to over do the tilting thing, to the point of falling over like a drunken sailor. The result was pretty awful as I recall. But as long as you can charge you MacBook while leaning into a curve I guess that's the most important thing.

I saw some of the reports about running Rosetta on Lion, I had meant to suggest it to you as a way for you to solve your problem, but it seems you already know the details of Apple's future Big Brother plans so I won't bother. Stay with the past, buy up all the old second-hand Macs you can so you can still run PPC code on a tilt train, or in a dank and dark youth hostel in the city of your choice. Have fun with it. Me, I'm living in the future and loving it (but without the flying cars and household robots alas).
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

Ah, you Sydneysiders were always impressed by a bit of flash. We Melbourne people are, of course, more of your solid citizen type taking pride in our prudence. "Stodgy" is a perjorative term in Sydney; in Melbourne it is a compliment and rightly so. That's why I'm leaving as soon as I can sell the house! LOL

Smelly youth hostel? I'll have you know YHA hotels are lovely. The restaurant's food is just plain delicious and when the girl behind the bar responds to your order of a G&T with the question, "Long or short glass", you know you're in the right place! :love:

Attached is a view from the roof-top living area just before I left on Wednesday. I was standing next to the swimming pool, which was in use. The temperature was 22 C or something. That ought to get the pulses racing in other lands -- a German guy on the PhotoLine forum told me it was mainly raining and struggling to 19 C maximum in Germany this summer!

BUT down to business. Looks like the Save as/Lion document thing should be a preference. In fact, a lot of people will stay on SL for some considerable time, I would suggest. Is the Adobe suite Lion-ready? If not, all Adobe users will be staying with SL. (Adobe has traditionally lagged in updating for new OSes.) And there really does seem to be a lot of people moaning and mumbling about loss of Rosetta.

Something else that is worth considering is whether Nisus should follow Apple in its latest departure from the norm. It might be a good idea to wait a bit and see how it lasts. Nisus (and other small developers) has been caught out before by Apple's enthusiasm for "innovation".

Cheers, geoff
Attachments
View1.jpg
View1.jpg (75.67 KiB) Viewed 8402 times
dshan

Post by dshan »

greenmorpher wrote: BUT down to business. Looks like the Save as/Lion document thing should be a preference. In fact, a lot of people will stay on SL for some considerable time, I would suggest. Is the Adobe suite Lion-ready? If not, all Adobe users will be staying with SL. (Adobe has traditionally lagged in updating for new OSes.) And there really does seem to be a lot of people moaning and mumbling about loss of Rosetta.

Something else that is worth considering is whether Nisus should follow Apple in its latest departure from the norm. It might be a good idea to wait a bit and see how it lasts. Nisus (and other small developers) has been caught out before by Apple's enthusiasm for "innovation".

Cheers, geoff
The New Document Model is only supported in Lion so apps running on earlier releases can't use it. Whether it's possible to write an app that runs on both 10.7 and earlier OS Xs, using the NDM on 10.7 and the old method on earlier releases I don't know (but I suspect it would be quite difficult given the new vs old APIs involved). As far as I'm aware no dual-document-model apps currently exist, Apple's NDM versions of iWork, TextEdit and Preview are all Lion-only I believe. And that should tell you that Apple have not made this change lightly, they've updated all their core productivity and system apps to use the NDM, they are betting the future on this way of working (and by extension on Lion and a fairly rapid uptake of it by the majority of their customer base). The NDM's going to last, this is not a flash in the pan idea they might reconsider in a few months. This is the future for document creation apps on the Mac. This is Apple bringing real innovation to the Mac again, we'll look back on NDM in a few years and wonder how we ever lived without it. I'll bet my house that Microsoft are already working on some quick and dirty, half-broken knock-off of NDM for Windows 8.

Yes there's been a lot of moaning a groaning about no more Rosetta, but the sales figures for Lion indicate it's likely coming from a very vocal minority of the customer base. Many long-time Mac users fail to comprehend how much the profile of the average Mac user has changed since Apple switched to Intel in '06. A very large proportion (perhaps even a majority by now) of Mac users nowadays are former Windows sufferers who switched to Macs after they went Intel, they've never used a PPC Mac or had to worry about PPC apps running under Rosetta (and many of us who did use PPC, let alone Moto(!), Macs have by now stopped using PPC apps). They are also mostly not Adobe users (aside from Flash of course). So the loss of Rosetta and any tardiness on Adobe's part when it comes to supporting Lion is a non-event for probably a majority of today's Mac users.

The people that really need to run Rosetta can stick with 10.6.8 and it's ongoing security updates for the next 12-24 months until OS X 10.8 comes out and support for 10.6.8 stops. BTW this is why I'd advise you to update to at least 10.6.8 asap, you said before you're staying with 10.6.7 which is no longer getting any security updates (quite a few nasty security holes have been closed in 10.6.8 and it's subsequent security patches). That seems like asking for trouble to me (but then a man who thinks that the most important thing about gin and tonic is what kind of glass it comes in, when everyone knows the vital thing is what brand of gin it contains, may not feel the need to worry about such things...)
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

You're right, dshan, about the X.6.8 -- I upgraded this morning, in fact, after reading the stuff about it.

As for the change in Apple's profile -- I tottered down to the regional shopping mall, Southland, this afternoon and was confronted by signs saying "Apple Store Now Open -- Fashion Bridge Level 2". The Apple Store in the Fashion Bridge? That's telling us all we need to know about Apple today!

Still, it is nice to have a store selling Apple in the vicinity after more than 10 years of absence. Not that I'm buying anything, you understand.

Regarding the brand of gin -- that was also the opinion of the young lady behind the bar. She likes her G&T without lime or lemon -- she is finicky about the taste of ghe gin. Me? I buy the cheapest gin and take it from there. I've spelled out my G&T philosophy here: http://pngtimetraveller.blogspot.com/20 ... and-g.html

Enjoy!

Cheers, geoff
joehardy

Post by joehardy »

martin wrote:We just released public beta two, which is available via the NWP auto-updater, or can be downloaded directly. Beta two improves DOCX and ".doc" file import, fully integrates Lion's Full Screen mode, and has some other fixes.
I appreciate the full-screen compatibility. It's not necessary on a 20 inch iMac because there's plenty of screen space, but very, very useful on the 13 inch MacBook. NWP is the only non-Apple software I use that so far has those Lion compatibility features.
<a href="http://web.mac.com/joehardy">Blog the Day!</a>