Pro 2.0.1 public beta (bug fixes and Lion support)

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Pro 2.0.1 public beta (bug fixes and Lion support)

Post by martin »

Version 2.0.1 is a bug fix release intended to address a few select issues (eg: page numbers and Bookends scanning) associated with the version 2.0 upgrade, and to provide compatibility with the forthcoming Mac OSX 10.7 (Lion).

Download the beta here:
http://nisus.com/files/pro/NWP-v201-p2.zip

Please note that this beta is not the final release of Pro 2.0.1.
feat

Re: Pro 2.0.1 public beta (bug fixes and Lion support)

Post by feat »

is it only me, or NWP 2.0.1 cannot open its preferences window?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

I haven't had any trouble, and I've seen no reports of that problem yet. I thought perhaps it might be something specific to the French localization, but that works okay for me too. Can you use the menu Help > Send Feedback after the preferences window fails to open? Thanks!
feat

Post by feat »

I did just that about 12 hours ago... but I'm not sure it has automatically attached the log file;
now the console reads:

Code: Select all

Nisus Writer Pro[16351]
    *** -[NWGeneralPreferenceController awakeFromNib]:
        unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x1d456d90 
the previous release didn't exhibit this behavior;

NB: I'm not using the French localization

I tried launching NWP 2.0.1-p1 from various locations, including:
  • the download folder
  • the user domain applications folder
  • the local domain applications folder
unzipping the archive again each time;

no pref window anyhow…
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Thanks for the followup- I did receive your feedback report, and replied to you directly via email earlier today. The problem is specific to OSX 10.5 and we'll be sure to get it fixed before 2.0.1 is released. Thanks!
feat

Post by feat »

thanks: I should have known that running 10.5.8 in mid-2011 is looking for trouble!
alexpassi

Post by alexpassi »

Installed Lion yesterday -- Nisus 2.0 didn't work. Installed Nisus 2.0.1 -- won't work if it's inside the Application folder (despite the routine which is supposed to put it there), will work outside -- but ever so slowly. In the end, I reverted to Snow Leopard.
Alex
Targuman

Post by Targuman »

alexpassi wrote:Installed Lion yesterday -- Nisus 2.0 didn't work. Installed Nisus 2.0.1 -- won't work if it's inside the Application folder (despite the routine which is supposed to put it there), will work outside -- but ever so slowly. In the end, I reverted to Snow Leopard.
Alex
Sorry to hear that it is not working for you. Works for me with Lion on two different machines (new iMac and old MacPro).
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Alex, could you be more specific about how NWP doesn't work when it resides in the Applications folder? It really shouldn't matter where you run NWP from.

Also, when you say that it is slow, is there anything in particular that is slow? If you can consistently trigger the sluggishness, it would help if you could take a "sample" of NWP while it is being slow. You can do so by launching Apple's "Activity Monitor" application, selecting NWP from the listing, and clicking the Sample toolbar button. It's important that NWP is responding slowly at the exact moment the sample is collected; otherwise the data will not help (or might even mislead us).

Thanks for your help.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

We just released public beta two, which is available via the NWP auto-updater, or can be downloaded directly. Beta two improves DOCX and ".doc" file import, fully integrates Lion's Full Screen mode, and has some other fixes.
Everic

Post by Everic »

martin wrote:We just released public beta two, which is available via the NWP auto-updater, or can be downloaded directly. Beta two improves DOCX and ".doc" file import, fully integrates Lion's Full Screen mode, and has some other fixes.
Hello, again.

I am having troubles exactly with doc file import since public beta two. The text in a file that was easily converted with NWP public beta 1 is now full of spaces. Some words are splitted into up to 4 or more pieces.

I am not using Lion.

I used the feedback in NWP to send you an example.
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

Hey, what's happened to the beta? Here I am. all agog, just returned from a super slow, restricted bandwidth Internet environemnt in Pappau New Guinea -- hit Brizzy, get unlimited all day wireless at the YHA hostel and . . . the beta downoad link won't respond! Aargh! :o

Cheers, geoff
dshan

Post by dshan »

greenmorpher wrote:Hey, what's happened to the beta? Here I am. all agog, just returned from a super slow, restricted bandwidth Internet environemnt in Pappau New Guinea -- hit Brizzy, get unlimited all day wireless at the YHA hostel and . . . the beta downoad link won't respond! Aargh! :o

Cheers, geoff
It's still working fine for me here in Sydney Geoff. What are you doing hanging out in dodgy youth hostels in Brisbane? I know it's warmer than Melbourne at this time of year, but seriously, so is hell and I wouldn't advise you to trust their WiFi either...
talaivan

Post by talaivan »

I hope when Nisus is completely upgraded for Lion it retains the "save as" option. The Apple apps (Pages, Textedit, etc.) are, for me, much harder to use without this feature.
dshan

Post by dshan »

talaivan wrote:I hope when Nisus is completely upgraded for Lion it retains the "save as" option. The Apple apps (Pages, Textedit, etc.) are, for me, much harder to use without this feature.
I couldn't disagree more, I *love* the new document model! It rocks, it is thus far the very best feature of Lion I've found and I can't wait for NWP to become a 21st century app and embrace the Version command. "Save As..." is for Windows users. I recently had to do some mucking about with documents in TextEdit and TextWrangler and I soon discovered how much better the new document model is than the ancient piece of junk we've been stuck with all these years. Yes, like several other new features in Lion (e.g. natural scrolling) the new document model takes a bit of getting used to, but once you make the effort you never want to go back to the old way. It hurts when you have to. And I hate it when Nisus hurts.