Save as PDF

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
bigsip2005

Save as PDF

Post by bigsip2005 »

I saved a document from Nisus Writer Pro into PDF. Then I tried to open the document with Nisus Writer Pro. I read that I should be able to open it. Well, it opens, but only the first page. Is there a reason for this? Will I be able to open up the full document and MAYBE edit the PDF from Nisus Writer Pro?
phspaelti

Re: Save as PDF

Post by phspaelti »

Nisus Writer is not a program for opening/editing pdfs. When you open a pdf in Nisus it will just create an image and put (the first page of) the pdf there.
If you created the pdf yourself, why do you want to edit that? Why don't you edit the original document?
philip
bigsip2005

Post by bigsip2005 »

Well, I want to add page numbers. But I have to do that to the actual PDF. Any program that I try to use, if I have a title page, table of contents, and bibliography in the same document (since I will be converting it to PDF), I am unable to put page numbers where I want them. No program gives me the flexibility to allow me to have those parts as well as the main body and put page numbers on just the main body. The only option I have in ANY program is to put no page number on the first page (which would be the Title Page) while everything else will have a page number. If I delete a number and try to put it in manually, it puts the same number everywhere else. I created a paper, had all those elements separate (the Title Page, Table of Contents, and Bibliography from the main body of the paper). But, when I want to attach the other parts to the main document to convert it into one PDF document, the page numbers will start at either the title page or at the table of contents. I do not want page numbers on the title page or Table of Contents. The only way I know how to add page numbers where I want them is after I convert the whole thing to PDF and open it up in Preview on my mac and Annotate it. It works, but I'd rather have an easier way of doing that. If you know of a program that is more flexible for those kinds of projects, that would be a helpful addition, since I'd like to share my papers through email in PDF form with other interested friends and family. I hope my explanation for editing a PDF document made sense.
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

You can format all the components of your document in a single file in NWP with the correct pagination if you insert section breaks (from the Insert menu) after each component except the last, like this:

Title Page
---SECTION BREAK---
Table of Contents
---SECTION BREAK---
Main text
---SECTION BREAK---
Bibliography

You have complete control over pagination of each of the sections form the sections group of palettes in the Tooldrawer.

The title page and its verso will not have any page numbering.
To achieve this, place the cursor anywhere in the title page section and then check the ‘Hidden Headers’ checkbox in the Header/Footer palette.
This is if pagination is in Headers. If pagination is in Footers, check the ‘Hidden Footers’ checkbox

The Table of Contents may have lowercase Roman numbering starting from its second page.
To achieve this, place the cursor anywhere in the Table of Contents section and then check the ‘Different First Page’ checkbox in the Header/Footer palette and in the Section palette select the appropriate numbering format. Here, in the Section palette, you will need to check the ‘Restart At’ checkbox (and enter i) so that pagination does not continue counting from previous section.

The main text will have numbering starting from its second page.
To achieve this, place the cursor anywhere in the main text section and then check the ‘Different First Page’ checkbox in the Header/Footer palette and in the Section palette select the appropriate numbering format. Here, in the Section palette, you will need to check the ‘Restart At’ checkbox (and enter 1) so that pagination does not continue counting from previous sections

The Bibliography will have numbering starting from its second page.
To achieve this, place the cursor anywhere in the Bibliography section and then check the ‘Different First Page’ checkbox in the Header/Footer palette. Page numbering will continue from previous (main text) section.
bigsip2005

Post by bigsip2005 »

I did not know I COULD do that! Thanks so much for that! I am definitely saving these instructions! That should save me from a lot of frustrated moments! Thanks!
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Post by rmark »

Thank you Hamid and others for helping bigsip2005.

Remember, these features are explained in the User's Guide…

Choose:
Help > Nisus Writer Pro Help

However, there is a caveat here. The PDF you create will be numbered 1 through… whatever. The virtual page numbers ignore any sections and numbering sequences you created in Nisus Writer Pro. To have the virtual page numbers match those of the Nisus Writer Pro file, you'll need something like Adobe Acrobat (the full version, not the Reader).
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.
credneb

Post by credneb »

Caveat the caveat...

If you format as described by Hamid and then Print... and Save as PDF from there, Nisus prints a PDF with the page numbers as desired.

Never needed this in Nisus before, so I followed the directions and created a page 1 with Hidden Footer.
Page 2 followed a section break with footer formatted to show page number (intended to be page # of section) and section number.
Page 3 ditto above.

Printed PDF showed nothing in footer of page 1.
Page 2 == 1-2 (page 1, section 2) in the footer
Page 3 == 1-3

Don't know the internal mechanics, but Print to PDF seems to produce the desired result, at least in this simple test.
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

credneb wrote:Caveat the caveat...
Don't know the internal mechanics, but Print to PDF seems to produce the desired result, at least in this simple test.
I think what Mark is talking about are the page numbers of the pdf. NOT the ones displayed on the page, but the ones that are used in, say, preview to navigate/print the document. So if you have 10 front matter pages, and then start numbering at page 1, and you create a pdf, and then open it in preview, then if you try to print page 200, you will actually get page 190 instead. The printed page 190 will have the correct 190 on it, though.

If you look at the NWP manual you will see a pdf that is correctly numbered (not like it used to be). So what Mark is saying is the manual wasn't made with NWP 2.0. What he really is saying is: "Look at the cool manual I wrote, and the extra trouble I went through to get it right." :)

Yeah Mark! Love the manual. :love:
philip
credneb

Post by credneb »

Ah. I see.

The manual certainly is much easier to navigate now. Glad I don't have to create PDFs.
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Post by rmark »

Philip,
…shucks, thanks.
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.