Make Style Force Text to Black

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
ChuckKenter

Make Style Force Text to Black

Post by ChuckKenter »

I am unable to include Black text as part of my Heading 1 and Heading 2 styles.

I do most of my basic writing in Scrivener and then export to Nisus Writer Pro v2.0. Scrivener doesn't have actual styles. I therefore made Heading 1 Orange, Heading 2, Blue, Block Quote Green. Then when I get in Nisus writer I just have to look for these colors an apply the appropriate style.

However my styles will not change the colored text to black. I tried to define the style to do this. I found that if I picked another color it was added as a balloon in the style definition. However if I think picked Black as my color the color balloon disappeared. Is there way to make a style force the text to Black?
Hamid

Re: Make Style Force Text to Black

Post by Hamid »

Black text is the default text colour of your Normal style and Heading 1 is based on Normal, so you do not need to change your defined styles. Attributes which are already defined in Normal will not reappear in a style which is based on it; only defined attributes which are different from Normal will appear in Heading 1 which is based on it.

Orange, Blue, and Green are not attributes of your defined style for Heading. Therefore, they will not be in the style sheet. These three colours are overrides, i.e. they override Black in your document. You have to remove overriding colours to regain Black.

To remove an overriding attribute, say Orange, place the cursor anywhere in the text which has Orange colour. You will notice in the Statusbar at the bottom right of the document window an orange color tag, as shown.
ColorTagInStatusbar.png
ColorTagInStatusbar.png (11.4 KiB) Viewed 4311 times
Click the tag and from its popup menu apply ‘Select All’. This will select all orange text. Then while the selection is active, apply ‘Remove Color’ from the same color tag. This will remove all orange and restore black.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Thanks for the explanation and good advice Hamid.

Another tip: if you want to remove all such color overrides from your document, regardless of the color: select all your document text and use the menu Format > Text Color > Remove Text Color Attribute.
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

Hamid wrote:Black text is the default text colour of your Normal style and Heading 1 is based on Normal, so you do not need to change your defined styles. Attributes which are already defined in Normal will not reappear in a style which is based on it; only defined attributes which are different from Normal will appear in Heading 1 which is based on it.
Hamid is correct, but there is still something special about black. If you try to set the color of Normal to something else, Normal will show the color as defined. But if you try to set it to black, the specification vanishes. Essentially: black = "no color". And this is apparent in what Chuck is trying to do. If you apply heading styles, based on Normal, where Normal has black/no-color, then these styles will not affect the color. But if you first redefine Normal to having some other color (even say a tad off-shade black), then applying these heading styles will wipe out the previous color. This form of behavior strikes me as not really consistent, or at least there are two things you can't do in Nisus: 1) you can't redefine the default color 2) you can't define styles with "override black," i.e. a style with color black that removes other colors when applied.
philip