Style attribution lost after using SpellCatcher

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Urnimo

Style attribution lost after using SpellCatcher

Post by Urnimo »

Hello all,

I hope somebody can help me with this. I have recently switched to NWP from MSWord and I love it to bits (we do not have NWP2 yet, though).

I must use SpellCatcher for spellchecking because I work with different languages (some of which fictitious) in the same text document and SpellCatcher is the only tool I could find with a customizable unicode dictionary.

Now, when I have a document formatted in NWP and run a spellcheck through it, once SpellCatcher has finished, it pastes the amended checked text back in the document. And all the document styles are lost.
The document does not lose the material formatting (except for a few data of a style, like the preventing widow/orphan for Normal). The formatting stays and is still displayed, but nothing is anymore recognized as one of the styles of the stylesheet for that document. In the Format menu it would only allow me to do New Style. It is like it were blind to the styles that were copied and pasted from/to itself.
The pasted text also defaults back to USA English from the British English which is the language of the document. Moreover, all the bookmarks that were there are lost.

Any idea?
~ Alex
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Re: Style attribution lost after using SpellCatcher

Post by rmark »

Urnimo,

I'm sorry you experience difficulties with Nisus Writer Pro and SpellCatcher,

I'm curious to learn if you have tried to use the various language dictionaries Apple supplies that Nisus Writer Pro uses. I'm not sure we can handle your fictitious languages, but you could solve that problem by creating QuickFix glossaries that you confirm in advance have the correct spellings.

Our Engineering Department will have to look into the SpellCatcher issue separately.
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.
Urnimo

Post by Urnimo »

Rmark,
Thank you for the reply.

The reason I use SpellCatcher is that it allows me to create, in real time as I spellcheck a document, a customised list of words which is saved as a dictionary and can be used afterwards to suggest the accepted spelling (defined by me) of a word. SpellCatcher is a great tool, and , much though I love everything Apple, it works much better than any dictionary tool supplied with MacOSX. I previously used MSWord which has a similar function as SpellCatcher (the Custom Dictionaries), but MSWord has problems parsing Unicode characters, which makes it a bore.

For the record and for what it's worth, there are no issues in MSWord with SpellCatcher and loss of styles/formats after spellchecking. But I really would like to use Nisus Writer Pro, and upgrade to Version 2.

Please let me know if some answer to my problem is found.
~ Alex
Anne Cuneo

Post by Anne Cuneo »

I also had this problem with Spell Catcher, but it has disappeared after a recent update (I was still on Nisus 1.4 then), so maybe you should look if you have the latest Spell Catcher. I use it with English, Italian and German, and there is no longer any problem. I love it, in fact.
Anne
exegete77

Post by exegete77 »

I, too, am using SpellCatcher with NWP 2.0. No problems.
iMac 21.5” / MBP 13” Retina
Mac user since 1990
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Alex: what version of NWP and SpellCatcher are you using? Looking at our release notes, Spell Catcher's "DirectConnect" should be working with NWP as of version 1.3 and above. Can you try out the Pro 2.0 demo?

If you're using Spell Catcher's interactive "direct replacement" feature, you might need to upgrade Spell Catcher to a more recent version.
Urnimo

Post by Urnimo »

Martin: I am using SpellCatcher 10.3.7 (which my automatic updater says is the latest version) and NWP 1.4.1. And no, no interactive features, I run spellcheckers only once a draft document is already written, the application's thoughts on my writing while I write do bother me ;)

I will take your suggestion and try it with NWP2 in demo format... we very much intended to completely shift our word processor to NWP in any case.

Thank you all, I will let you know how it works, meanwhile if any other suggestion comes up I'll be happy to hear it.
~ Alex
Urnimo

Post by Urnimo »

Updated to NWP2 (meant to do it in any case).

The problem with Spell Catcher stays the same :(
~ Alex
mbbntu

Post by mbbntu »

It seems to be a problem with Spell Catcher. I just tried a test with my version of MS Word (2004) and got the same behaviour. The appearance of the text is roughly maintained (headings remain bold, and the same font size, for example) but the "link" to the style is stripped out. In Word, everything reverts to "Normal" style. Evidently, when Spell Catcher imports the text into its own window, or places it on the clipboard before pasting it back into the document, it strips out the code for the styles, but retains the information for the font size, etc. Best to look on the Spell Catcher site to see if this is expected behaviour.

Cheers, Martin.
mbbntu

Post by mbbntu »

An update: there is a thread on the Spell Catcher forums that dates from last September mentioning a similar problem with another program

http://www.rainmakerinc.com/forums/topi ... #entry7289

The problem doesn't seem to have been pursued by the original poster. You would probably be best advised to make a new post there.

Cheers, Martin.
Urnimo

Post by Urnimo »

Martin,

Thank you for the help. I asked on the Spell Catcher Forums and this is the answer I got from Evan Gross:

"You're best off to use Spell Catcher’s interactive checking, or the Mac OS X spell checker (configured to use a Spell Catcher language), or else Spell Catcher’s DirectCorrect feature in NWP. You won' lose formatting these ways. Spell Catcher’s Check Selection uses the built-in Mac OS X RTF translators, which aren't able to "understand" the complex RTF that NWP puts on the clipboard."

So, I have tried using Direct Correct and with that it works, no style attribution is lost. It is a spell checking tool which I do not particularly like (probably because I am set in my old ways) but it does work, which meets my needs well enough.

And clearly it is not a NWP problem :) And I am even happier now that I can work with NWP2.

You do, as always, excellent work.
~ Alex