Question About Nisus Pro License (on multiple laptops)

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
kivancmuslu

Question About Nisus Pro License (on multiple laptops)

Post by kivancmuslu »

Hi all,

I have asked this under 'Nisus Writer Pro & App Store' topic, however I think it is not seen (since it was not related).
kivancmuslu wrote:Hi Martin,

Just a quick question about the license issue (though not related to the main discussion). I have one laptop that I use as desktop (hooked up to an AppleDisplay and never leaves my room), which is almost always running. Also, I was not closing NisusWriterPro on this laptop (even I wasn't at home, or even I wasn't using it).
I have another laptop I use for mobility and these 2 computers are using the same license (mine). In this case, though it is not running anything (because it is open in my main laptop at home, and my laptop at work), am I violating the license agreement?

Thanks for the answer,
martin wrote:
phensel wrote:My understanding is that the App Store allows you to install purchased software on any of your computers under the same license - which might end up saving multi-computer users a fair amount of money (say, if they have a desktop and laptop and previously had to buy family packs or multi-user licenses for most of their software if they wanted to keep it legal).
I can't compare it to the App Store license agreement, but Nisus Writer's current license allows you to install it both on your desktop and laptop, so long as you only use one at a time. See this portion of the NWP's license agreement:
You may use a copy of the software on a second or portable computer, as long as the extra copy is never Loaded at the same time the Software is Loaded on the primary computer on which you use the Software.
Thanks,
~ Kivanc Muslu
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Question About Nisus Pro License (on multiple laptops)

Post by martin »

kivancmuslu wrote:I have one laptop that I use as desktop (hooked up to an AppleDisplay and never leaves my room), which is almost always running. Also, I was not closing NisusWriterPro on this laptop (even I wasn't at home, or even I wasn't using it).
I have another laptop I use for mobility and these 2 computers are using the same license (mine). In this case, though it is not running anything (because it is open in my main laptop at home, and my laptop at work), am I violating the license agreement?
The current license is such that technically that would be considered a violation.
kivancmuslu

Post by kivancmuslu »

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the explanation. I will try to be more careful then. However, would this create a real problem about my license (in case I forgot to close one of the programs) as the termination of the license, etc.?

Thanks,
~ Kivanc Muslu
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

Kivanc, let me just suggest that since this is a legal (dark?) grey area, employees of Nisus presumably aren't going to be able to give you an Ok on what you are doing. I am not in any way affiliated with Nisus, so I won't tell anyone. :)
philip
kivancmuslu

Post by kivancmuslu »

Hi phspaelti,

I understand that they might not able to provide me an 'okay' answer. However, I was just trying to say that this is how in general I use software. I am quite sure that (though only I confessed), there are lots of people out there that use their personal software like this.
If I am not mistaken, this is the first personal license I came across (with the software I am using) that restrict the run of multiple personal copies at the same time. That is why, if I hadn't come across the other topic discussion, I wouldn't even know it! So, maybe what I was trying to say is that there are people like me outside and thus the personal license should be tweaked (only a little).

Thanks for the support :-)
~ Kivanc Muslu