App Store & NWP?

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
greenmorpher

Re: App Store & NWP?

Post by greenmorpher »

dude wrote:For those of us on the forums the MAS makes little sense. For businesses it makes no sense.

For those with family packs with a wife, mom, dad, son or daughter that use NWP that does not know this place exists, it makes perfect sense. They can open the MAS and instantly install NWP and not worry about license information or installation.

I upgraded my family pack and would appreciate the ease of the MAS for my wife's sake.
I did the family pack upgrade too. My experience with the App store (I just bought Aperture) is that we won't be able to do the family pack deals there; it is about connecting each computer to the Apple teat. There is no registration number involved -- the store (actually the iTunes store -- you'd think Apple would have enough money to be able to set up another one or at least another portal) presumably reads details off your computer and that's that. You can't do a demo download, for example, and then expect to be able to just register that. You have to download all over again from the Apple store. You can't apply point updates to the App store version of the software either -- if they are allowing a free point update, you still have to download the entire program again. At least -- that is my recent experience with Aperture which is just a hair under a full Gig download so it's a pain in the neck!

I'll be sticking with direct purchase of NWP, thanks!

By the way -- my mention of purchasing Aperture (my first ever and hopefully my last App store/iTunes purchase should not be taken as endorsement of the product. I not a terribly happy camper with it after some weeks of pretty intensive use. I think it's not for me. :o

Cheers, geoff

Geoffrey Heard
Business & Environment Writer, Editor, Publisher
The Worsley Press
Buy "Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes?" -- the world's ONLY scientifically based guide to type and layout, and receive a free 140 page guide to advertising for small business: "How to make great ads for (small) business: 99 real world advertising ideas to kickstart *your* business today". Amazon or http://www.worsleypress.com
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

joehardy wrote:I want to have it on my MacBook on the go, but all the multiple palettes work best with my 20 inch iMac when I'm home . I'm single, so the only reason for me to buy the "Family Pack" would be if my two cats learned how to use a computer. :)
Such things are personal preferences of course, Joe, but I find no difficulty with the palettes in the Tooldrawer when I'm working on my MBP 13". I deal with the smaller screen by closing palettes not in immediate use down to their top bar (I wish we could have just a touch of color in them to make them stand out al itttle). Of course, when I have the laptop plugged into the Cinema screen (23" used off eBay!) I still do that with a couple of the drawers but not so much. :)

Cheers, geoff

Geoffrey Heard
Business & Environment Writer, Editor, Publisher
The Worsley Press
Buy "Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes?" -- the world's ONLY scientifically based guide to type and layout, and receive a free 140 page guide to advertising for small business: "How to make great ads for (small) business: 99 real world advertising ideas to kickstart *your* business today". Amazon or http://www.worsleypress.com
kivancmuslu

Post by kivancmuslu »

Hi Martin,

Just a quick question about the license issue (though not related to the main discussion). I have one laptop that I use as desktop (hooked up to an AppleDisplay and never leaves my room), which is almost always running. Also, I was not closing NisusWriterPro on this laptop (even I wasn't at home, or even I wasn't using it).
I have another laptop I use for mobility and these 2 computers are using the same license (mine). In this case, though it is not running anything (because it is open in my main laptop at home, and my laptop at work), am I violating the license agreement?

Thanks for the answer,
martin wrote:
phensel wrote:My understanding is that the App Store allows you to install purchased software on any of your computers under the same license - which might end up saving multi-computer users a fair amount of money (say, if they have a desktop and laptop and previously had to buy family packs or multi-user licenses for most of their software if they wanted to keep it legal).
I can't compare it to the App Store license agreement, but Nisus Writer's current license allows you to install it both on your desktop and laptop, so long as you only use one at a time. See this portion of the NWP's license agreement:
You may use a copy of the software on a second or portable computer, as long as the extra copy is never Loaded at the same time the Software is Loaded on the primary computer on which you use the Software.
~ Kivanc Muslu
iljajj

Post by iljajj »

dude wrote:For those of us on the forums the MAS makes little sense. For businesses it makes no sense.

For those with family packs with a wife, mom, dad, son or daughter that use NWP that does not know this place exists, it makes perfect sense. They can open the MAS and instantly install NWP and not worry about license information or installation.

I upgraded my family pack and would appreciate the ease of the MAS for my wife's sake.
To be fair, for businesses it does make sense. Most of our computers here are self-administered. In the past, that led to hopeless confusion with regard to licensing. Since the MAS does not have separate private and business licensing, however, it can solve a lot of license headaches.

Privately, I don't mind the MAS for certain items of software - it takes away a lot of the fuss of manually installing stuff (although uninstalling could be made more graceful). For critical tools such as Nisus, I'd like to have more control. But I can see how someone who isn't interested in that would buy that from the MAS also.
dude

Post by dude »

iljajj wrote:

To be fair, for businesses it does make sense. Most of our computers here are self-administered. In the past, that led to hopeless confusion with regard to licensing. Since the MAS does not have separate private and business licensing, however, it can solve a lot of license headaches.

Privately, I don't mind the MAS for certain items of software - it takes away a lot of the fuss of manually installing stuff (although uninstalling could be made more graceful). For critical tools such as Nisus, I'd like to have more control. But I can see how someone who isn't interested in that would buy that from the MAS also.
A business account on each computer in iTunes with a credit card attached to that account? Passworded up or not, that's a hard sell for business owners. I don't allow MAS purchases except with high level management. Too much risk for possible abuse.
Just a guy trying to be a dude...
ralph strauch

Post by ralph strauch »

My wife has been using an old version of Word because she was familiar with it, but with rosetta going away she's willing to explore alternatives. I'm thinking about the MAS both because of its simplicity and because the upgrade path from a single v1 license to v2 ($49) and then to a family license ($50) costs the same as buying a brand new family license ($99).

When can we expect Nisus to show up in the MAS?

Ralph Strauch
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Hi Ralph- we don't yet have any official information to release regarding Nisus Writer and the Mac App Store, sorry.
ralph strauch

Post by ralph strauch »

Thanks Martin; that's useful to know. I don't have any immediate need for the new features in the upgrade, so I guess I'll wait a bit and see if it shows up there.

Ralph
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Just to let everyone know, Nisus Writer Pro is now available in the Mac App Store. Nisus Writer Express will hopefully follow soon.

Though if you buy directly from us we keep the 30% cut that Apple claims. But of course we're happy to have you as a customer whichever way works best for you!
dshan

Post by dshan »

Martin, this is great news indeed! Glad it's finally happened. I would be interested to know if the version of NWP sold in the Mac App Store is different in any respect from the version available from Nisus directly. Did you have to remove or modify any features to get NWP accepted into the App Store?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

dshan wrote:I would be interested to know if the version of NWP sold in the Mac App Store is different in any respect from the version available from Nisus directly. Did you have to remove or modify any features to get NWP accepted into the App Store?
There are a few differences, but they are almost exclusively technical/internal things that don't affect the user. I can assure you that no features were removed from NWP to get it into the App Store.