Pagination at top right corner

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
cparles

Pagination at top right corner

Post by cparles »

I hope that this isn't an incredibly silly question, but I'm new to Nisus Writer Pro - a recent convert from Microsoft Word. I like Nisus Writer Pro so much better than Word, but I haven't been able to figure out how to paginate (in the specific way I mention below) as easily as in Wrod.

I am trying to paginate my document in the upper right hand corner. I know how to put page numbers in the body, header, and footer of my document using the button found under the Insert menu. (Insert > Automatic Number > Page Number) However, I want to put a page number at the top right of the page, a bit above and to the right of the default header. (I also want to use the header as is to put other information.)

How can I do this? I tried putting a text box there, but I couldn't get the text box to anchor in the header and thus repeat on every page - I would have to manually put a text box on every page, which is unsatisfactory a) because it's time consuming and b) it's much harder to make sure it's in the same place on every page.

Hopefully there is something obvious that I am overlooking. Sorry if this is a silly question.

Chris
rickl

Re: Pagination at top right corner

Post by rickl »

Not a stupid question at all. Fortunately, the answer is pretty easy.

Click in the header and choose Insert > Automatic Number > Page Number in the usual way. Then double-click on the page number and make sure that the Tools palette is visible on the right. Click on the large T for the formatting palette group, and look for the Paragraph formatting section there. The left, right, and center buttons work in the usual way for page numbers just as for paragraphs and headers in the body of a page.
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

Pagination (with automatic numbering) has to be within the header, so you will have to drag the top header guide to the top extremity of the page.
Note (using vertical ruler) where the default top header guide was before dragging it. You will have to add Returns to “push” your header text down so that it levels with where the default top header guide used to be.

If I understand you correctly, the result of the workaround will look like this:
PaginationTopRightEdge.png
PaginationTopRightEdge.png (18.73 KiB) Viewed 11003 times
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

Yes, but Hamid you overlook the fact that the user also wanted the page number "to the right" of the header. That can only be done with a considerably uglier solution. Essentially you would have to move the page margin over, and then for all paragraphs you would have to move the text wrap to the left. The solution would likely be very unsatisfying if you wanted to use paragraph borders, etc.
Attachments
page_num_in_margin.tiff
page_num_in_margin.tiff (14.43 KiB) Viewed 10998 times
philip
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

Ah, you are right, Philip!
It needs more tweaking.
xiamenese

Post by xiamenese »

1) Can you put an automatic number in a table-cell? If so use a two-cell table within the header, in which you could have a narrow cell on the right, top and right-aligned in which you put the page number.
2) Can you put a floating text-box in a header? Can you put an automatic number in a floating text-box in which case put such a text-box top right in the header.

If you want facing pages with page numbers on the outside margins, you'd have to have separate headers — possible anyway — create a separate table in the first instance, or move the text-box in the latter.

Just a thought or two.

Mark
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

I think at this point there's no good way to accomplish what you desire. The page number will have to be inside the header area. So if you really wanted to do produce that look in NWP, I think Philip's (phspaelti) workaround is the best, though it isn't an elegant one.
rickl

Post by rickl »

The question wasn't stupid, but my answer was. Sorry!
cparles

Post by cparles »

Thanks to everyone who responded - I'll probably end up using Philip's workaround, since I don't have to do anything fancy with the paragraphs. Unfortunately in this case it seems one of the advantages I see in Nisus Writer Pro - namely, its flexibility and lack of rigid auto-formatting like Microsoft Word - seems to be a disadvantage. Perhaps some other way of working around this will be introduced in a future version. But anyway, thanks again to everyone who posted.
Chris