Development pace

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
ptram

Re: Development pace

Post by ptram »

Please, do not disturb the software engineers while at work! I wouldn't want they introduce bugs in the new, polished code, just because you called for their attention!

Then, I ask you a bit of hinting. What's the best time to release a new product? I'm sure the new version will come out around Christmas. I know for sure (by looking at secret mockups) that the program's icon has already been changed to red and white. This should mean something.

Cheers, Paolo
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

ptram wrote:I know for sure (by looking at secret mockups) that the program's icon has already been changed to red and white. This should mean something.
Benefica, Paolo, or in Australian terms, the Sydney Swans AFL club! :P

cheers, geoff
Anne Cuneo

Post by Anne Cuneo »

It is not that I want an update at all costs. In fact, apart from the vertical ruler, I have all I need. It's the silence that has started worrying me. I have been using Nisus for 20 years – YES, this is my Nisus twentieth birthday, or rather it was 2 months ago –, and never before have I had problems with a text, was asked whether I wanted to send it to Nisus, sent it, got an automatic mail – and that's it. Until last autumn, I had always got an answer. But this winter, while I was writing my latest novel, I had some bizarre things happening, was asked to send the text, which I did, and got no answer. No sign from anyone.
It is not the updating that worries me, it's the silence. MA-A-A-RTIN!!!!… DA-A-A-A-VE???? Are you there? MAAArK! How about telling us that you hear us, that you are safe and sound, even if you are not working frenetically for an update?
I am not giving up. I just hope the Nisus team does not give up on us!
Anne
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

No no, we're not giving up on you Anne! Nor on updating Nisus Writer, or on anything else for that matter. In fact, we should have something to announce very soon :)
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

martin wrote:No no, we're not giving up on you Anne! Nor on updating Nisus Writer, or on anything else for that matter. In fact, we should have something to announce very soon :)
Whoa!!! The first trickle! A breach in the dyke! All Dutch kids are barred from being anywhere near it!Quick, Martin, get it out while it's still spring! Before summer surfing begins!!! :D

Anne sez it's two weeks to her 20th anniversary with Nisus. Anne -- the fact that you can conjure up a figure like that strikes terror into the heart of every married bloke on the forum. We just can't remember stuff like that -- or don't. Good grief. Anniversaries, birthdays, sundry warm and fuzzy days. Mumble, mutter ...

Cheers, geoff

Geoffrey Heard
Business & Environment Writer, Editor, Publisher
The Worsley Press
Buy "Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes?" -- the world's ONLY scientifically based guide to type and layout, and receive a free 140 page guide to advertising for small business: "How to make great ads for (small) business: 99 real world advertising ideas to kickstart *your* business today". Amazon or http://www.worsleypress.com
Anne Cuneo

Post by Anne Cuneo »

Considering that Martin answered my shout for attention within SEVEN MINUTES, after months of ominous silence, of non-help from one of the most helpful guys I know as far as software goes, I am relieved: you are at least alive and kicking.
I still don't know why for the first time ever Nisus started doing such weird things that I almost lost a text (I sent a report, and I sent the text), but you are well, have fantastic reflexes, and that's already something.
To make us REALLY HAPPY you might considering sharing something of what you are doing. Even when you do send a Nisus letter, these days, it's only chatter. Why not inform us?
Anne
Groucho

Post by Groucho »

It’s the Osborne effect.

Henry.
Elbrecht

Post by Elbrecht »

Hi -

we shall see what we shall see, when
the Lion lies down in summer time…

HE
MacBook Pro i5
SSD 840/850 Pro
High Sierra 10.13.6
Nisus Writer Pro 3.4
ptram

Post by ptram »

As a chatty beta-tester, I can advance that the wait had a reason in the number (and quality) of new features and refinements. NWP is made of the traditional ingredients, with some yummy additions taken by the fusion (or even molecular) cuisine. New features will come with a smart reorganization that makes the UI even cleaner than before. I suspect some rewriting and optimization. For sure, there are several great ideas, that I'm sure the Microsoft's Photocopiers division will be very interested to hear about.

Paolo
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

"Merkin" is included in the dictionary/thesaurus, then? :o

Cheers, geoff
belgianreader

Post by belgianreader »

Anne Cuneo wrote: I have been using Nisus for 20 years – YES, this is my Nisus twentieth birthday, or rather it was 2 months ago
I remember first using Nisus sometime in early 1990 on an original Mac, the little all-in-one, black and white 9inch screen. It was the only thing we'd found for producing professional documentation. I don't think it was called Nisus Writer then but could be wrong about that. So, I think that was 21 years ago.

Nick
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Post by rmark »

Thank you all for your interest and stories of longevity. A recent study of the subject suggests that the primary quality that leads to it is conscientiousness and we have done our best to be conscientious. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/19/scien ... evity.html
Nick writes:
I don't think it was called Nisus Writer then but could be wrong about that.
It was called "Nisus" with the tagline: "The Amazing Word Processor for the Apple Macintosh"
The first version was released in January of 1989. You can read more here http://www.nisus.com/about/history.php
You can read a fuller accounting in the first chapter of Joe Kissell's book "The Nisus Way". http://alt.cc/tnw/1.html#1
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.
exegete77

Post by exegete77 »

Just reading The Nisus Way and it brings back memories of the good old days. I started and stopped using Nisus two different times, but finally began using it regularly in 1999, when beginning work on a book project. Word 98 was choking after 50 pages. Nisus never did choke!

Ah the memories.

Sometimes, it doesn’t take much for an old codger to be content. :D
iMac 21.5” / MBP 13” Retina
Mac user since 1990
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

exegete77 wrote:Just reading The Nisus Way and it brings back memories of the good old days. ... Ah the memories. Sometimes, it doesn’t take much for an old codger to be content. :D
Jeez, Exe, don't give the game away. Of course it doesn't take much to make old codgers content, but if we tell Nisus they'll still be lurking around launching v.2 practically tomorrow in about 2023!!! :o

Warm regards

Geoffrey Heard
Business & Environment Writer, Editor, Publisher
The Worsley Press
Buy "Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes?" -- the world's ONLY scientifically based guide to type and layout, and receive a free 140 page guide to advertising for small business: "How to make great ads for (small) business: 99 real world advertising ideas to kickstart *your* business today". Amazon or http://www.worsleypress.com
exegete77

Post by exegete77 »

greenmorpher wrote: Jeez, Exe, don't give the game away. Of course it doesn't take much to make old codgers content, but if we tell Nisus they'll still be lurking around launching v.2 practically tomorrow in about 2023!!! :o

Warm regards

Geoffrey Heard
How old codger of me, to think that reminiscing about the good old days, will encourage nostalgic delays amongst the programmers at Nisus!

I must be more careful, I must be more careful! I better write this down before I forget.

Forget what, now?

Have a good day, Geoff. I must say I have enjoyed your posts even back on the old list. And who couldn’t like a guy who wants a vertical ruler! 8)
iMac 21.5” / MBP 13” Retina
Mac user since 1990