Keyboard shortcut to go to end of line. EOL (or beginning)

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
tristan1916

Keyboard shortcut to go to end of line. EOL (or beginning)

Post by tristan1916 »

I'd like to go to the end of the line or the beginning by using the command key and right arrow or left arrow as I would in other programs, but my Express does not want to do that.
How may I quickly get to the end of line?
Thanks
Phil
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Keyboard shortcut to go to end of line. EOL (or beginnin

Post by martin »

Hi Phil, in nearly all OSX applications Command + Left Arrow will take you to the start of the line, and Command + Right Arrow will take you to the end of the line. This is the default in Nisus Writer as well. What happens when you press those keyboard shortcuts?
tristan1916

Post by tristan1916 »

Hi Martin,
Thanks for answering.
I'm a long time Mac person....1984!......so I was surprised when my usual keyboard shortcut behavior did not work with my Writer Express.
Moving a word at a time, option-arrowkey, works, but command-arrowkey does nothing. Command-arrowkey works fine as usual in other programs, as it does in this text window, for instance.

Thanks again for any suggestions on this problem.

Phil
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Hrm, that's very strange. To my knowledge, the only thing that would change the behavior is if you adjusted your OSX keyboard bindings or somehow set Command + Arrowkey as a shortcut elsewhere. Did you do anything like that at some point?

Something to try: create a brand new OSX user account and see if the shortcut behaves as expected there.
tristan1916

Post by tristan1916 »

Hi Martin,
I created a new account; no dice.
command-arrowkey works in all my other packages.
IN Express, it doesn't do anything.
I'm certain I didn't change anything in Express to shortcircuit my system keyboard shortcuts, but I'll poke around a bit and see if I did inadvertantly.
Thanks
Phil
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Thanks for giving that a try Phil. Some other questions for you:

1. What happens if you press Command + Shift + Arrow Key (eg: to select to the start/end of the line)?
2. What happens if you press Command + Up Arrow (eg: to move to the start of the whole document)?
3. What keyboard layout (input method) do you have active in Nisus Writer?
tristan1916

Post by tristan1916 »

1. What happens if you press Command + Shift + Arrow Key (eg: to select to the start/end of the line)?
Nothing happens. The Option+Shift+Arrow Key selects a word at a time, like expected.

2. What happens if you press Command + Up Arrow (eg: to move to the start of the whole document)?
That works. Both Up Arrow and Down Arrow work as expected with the Command key.

3. What keyboard layout (input method) do you have active in Nisus Writer?
I looked at the Languages tab in Nisus Preferences and dialed in US English and US Keyboard, then US Keyboard PC, then US Extended. No change.

Just a reminder: the Command + Left/Right Arrow key work properly in other software and circumstances.

Thanks Martin, for being persistent with this.
Phil
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Hello again Phil- I'm afraid I'm running out of ideas. I was really hoping that maybe an odd keyboard layout was a factor. So far as I know, nobody else has reported such a problem, so it's got to be something peculiar about the way your system and Express interact, but what exactly I don't know.

Do you have VoiceOver or any other system accessibility options enabled? What about services that you might have installed?

One thing I should have had you do by now: can you please reproduce the problem again (eg: have Command + Left Arrow fail) and then use the menu Help > Send Feedback to send us a report? Perhaps there will be a clue in one of the collected log files. Thank you.
landi3337

Post by landi3337 »

I had this same thing happen to me this morning and found this thread. I don't know what causes it, but I may have clicked some weird key combination. In any case, a re-boot solved it. Maybe just logging out would work also, but I didn't try that.

Thought I'd pass this along in case someone else finds this thread.