App Store & NWP?

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
goldste4

App Store & NWP?

Post by goldste4 »

Hello,
This is a question for Martin, I suppose: just out of curiosity, what are the plans, if any, for NWP and the new App store?
Best,
Josh
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: App Store & NWP?

Post by martin »

We are working on getting Nisus Writer into the new Mac App Store.

It's true that Apple does take a cut (developers keep 70%) but they provide some services for that, like the unified update mechanism. And of course, developers get access to a new market.
Lukum

Post by Lukum »

martin wrote:We are working on getting Nisus Writer into the new Mac App Store.

It's true that Apple does take a cut (developers keep 70%) but they provide some services for that, like the unified update mechanism. And of course, developers get access to a new market.
Hi,

I'm new to- and still testing Nisus Writer Pro. I'm considering to purchase it, but knowing that you're going to put it on the Mac App Store I wonder what to do, whether to postpone my purchase or not: many app owners had to buy their app again on the App Store, even at a discounted price, because Apple doesn't provide the store with coupon codes or such.
Also, I wonder what the roadmap for NWP is. V. 1.4.1 has been around for a while now (the downloaded .dmg shows April 2010!), and I wonder if an update is already in the pipeline, and if so by when we could hope to see it: is it a matter of weeks or months? I don't know if this is an idea of mine, but is the word processing world (see Mellel) seemed strangely stuck in 2010... Any comment about that?
Best
Lukum
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Lukum wrote:I'm new to- and still testing Nisus Writer Pro. I'm considering to purchase it, but knowing that you're going to put it on the Mac App Store I wonder what to do, whether to postpone my purchase or not: many app owners had to buy their app again on the App Store, even at a discounted price, because Apple doesn't provide the store with coupon codes or such.
That's true- Apple unfortunately won't allow you to take an app you purchases outside the store, and then manage it from within the store (eg: for updates). On the other hand, Apple currently doesn't allow paid updates to be pushed through the store.
I wonder if an update is already in the pipeline, and if so by when we could hope to see it: is it a matter of weeks or months?
We are working on an update, as we often are, but I couldn't say when it will become available, sorry.
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

But, Martin, will it remain possible in the feature to buy (an upgrade of) Nisus in the traditional way, or will Nisus become an 'App Store only' application?

And as far as Nisus' immediate future is concerned: can you at least confirm that a new beta version of Nisus is presently being tested by a group of beta testers? Persistent rumors are telling me so, and they come from circles which are usually well informed.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Timotheus wrote:But, Martin, will it remain possible in the feature to buy (an upgrade of) Nisus in the traditional way, or will Nisus become an 'App Store only' application?
We will definitely continue to sell Nisus Writer (and updates) the traditional way, outside of the app store.
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

Thanks, Martin!
dude

Post by dude »

Will NWP 2.0 make it to the Mac APP store any time soon?

Trying to decide wether to wait it out or make the 2.0 plunge. :-)
Just a guy trying to be a dude...
Anne Cuneo

Post by Anne Cuneo »

If the advantage of being in the Apple Store is that you get a new market, but we, on the other hand, already know you, and are your present market, I don't see any advantage for any of US to buy Nisus at the Apple Store, not no mention the fact that Nisus gets the 30% money which would go to an intermediary.
Personally, I try to avoid intermediaries whenever possible.
Come on, dude, don't hesitate! :wink:
Anne
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

@ Anne: you're perfectly right!!

Frankly, I don't understand all this Apple Store mania; and it would never come to my mind to buy something there which I can also buy in a place where the profits for the developers themselves, who really did the hard work and deserve to be compensated for it, are much higher.
phensel

Post by phensel »

My understanding is that the App Store allows you to install purchased software on any of your computers under the same license - which might end up saving multi-computer users a fair amount of money (say, if they have a desktop and laptop and previously had to buy family packs or multi-user licenses for most of their software if they wanted to keep it legal). The App Store also makes it easier to keep all of your software up to date (at least once the updated version is approved by Apple), whether on one computer or multiple.

Any savings realized by reducing the need for family packs would be even more money not reaching the developers (beyond Apple's 30% cut), at least if you assume that many users bought those packs rather than installing one-license software in more places than they were allowed. But a risk of not being in the App Store is that many users might only look there for software, and if NWP isn't there, plenty of other word processors probably will be...
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

phensel wrote:My understanding is that the App Store allows you to install purchased software on any of your computers under the same license - which might end up saving multi-computer users a fair amount of money (say, if they have a desktop and laptop and previously had to buy family packs or multi-user licenses for most of their software if they wanted to keep it legal).
I can't compare it to the App Store license agreement, but Nisus Writer's current license allows you to install it both on your desktop and laptop, so long as you only use one at a time. See this portion of the NWP's license agreement:
You may use a copy of the software on a second or portable computer, as long as the extra copy is never Loaded at the same time the Software is Loaded on the primary computer on which you use the Software.
phensel

Post by phensel »

I probably should have added more disclaimers than the vague "My understanding is that..." I haven't studied the App Store license agreement, and so far I haven't purchased any apps using it (only tested it with free apps like Evernote), so I'm not speaking as any sort of expert. And for that matter, I actually *have* purchased the family pack version of much of the software that I use (NWP included), so that I could install it on my office computer as well as my home desktop and laptop and (in some cases) my son's computer. I was just indicating what I'd seen claimed by others as advantages of the App Store way of doing things, following several posts questioning why anybody would buy software through the App Store rather than buying direct from the company,
dude

Post by dude »

For those of us on the forums the MAS makes little sense. For businesses it makes no sense.

For those with family packs with a wife, mom, dad, son or daughter that use NWP that does not know this place exists, it makes perfect sense. They can open the MAS and instantly install NWP and not worry about license information or installation.

I upgraded my family pack and would appreciate the ease of the MAS for my wife's sake.
Just a guy trying to be a dude...
joehardy

Post by joehardy »

martin wrote:
phensel wrote:My understanding is that the App Store allows you to install purchased software on any of your computers under the same license - which might end up saving multi-computer users a fair amount of money (say, if they have a desktop and laptop and previously had to buy family packs or multi-user licenses for most of their software if they wanted to keep it legal).
I can't compare it to the App Store license agreement, but Nisus Writer's current license allows you to install it both on your desktop and laptop, so long as you only use one at a time. See this portion of the NWP's license agreement:
You may use a copy of the software on a second or portable computer, as long as the extra copy is never Loaded at the same time the Software is Loaded on the primary computer on which you use the Software.
And I very much appreciate that. I want to have it on my MacBook on the go, but all the multiple palettes work best with my 20 inch iMac when I'm home . I'm single, so the only reason for me to buy the "Family Pack" would be if my two cats learned how to use a computer. :)
<a href="http://web.mac.com/joehardy">Blog the Day!</a>