Columns and Text Boxes

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
agilefalcon

Columns and Text Boxes

Post by agilefalcon »

I am trying the demo version of Nisus Pro for a book I am writing. It isn't a novel, it is a technical manual. Does Nisus handle columns and floating text boxes? I don't see any samples or information in the help.

Thanks for the help.
Chris
Fort Worth, TX.
exegete77

Re: Columns and Text Boxes

Post by exegete77 »

Howdy. Yes, columns are supported, but not floating text boxes.

For columns, Inthe upper right corner of the window you have a sliding drawer with additional palettes. Click on it. Then click on the 4th icon from the left, click on it (icon looks like page outline with margins). Then near the bottom you will see where you can adjust the number of columns. If you want to have some page with single columns and others with multiple columns, then you can go to Insert menu, and choose Section break between each change in columns.
iMac 21.5” / MBP 13” Retina
Mac user since 1990
agilefalcon

Post by agilefalcon »

Got it, thank you!

Chris Berardi
Fort Worth, TX
NisusUser

Post by NisusUser »

I'm new to Nisus Writer Pro and trying to see if it will conveniently do what I need. I'd like to do a book which when opened will have several columns across the entire spread, say columns 1 and 2 on the left page of the spread and columns 3 and 4 on the right page of the spread. I'd like the text to flow such that column 1 text does not flow to the opposite (right) page, but rather to the leftmost column of the next spread. Is there a way to do this with NWP? If not, maybe someone can recommend an app that would allow it (I know InDesign will, but that might be a bit of overkill for what I'm trying to do). Thank you.
Groucho

Post by Groucho »

Hello, NisusUser

What you want to do can’t possibly be done with NWP or Word (as far as I remeber). What about iCalamus? It’s a nice piece of software at a fair price.
Else, if you can cope with its unfamiliar interface, Scribus is not bad. Moreover, it’s free.

Greetings, Henry.
NisusUser

Post by NisusUser »

Thank you, Henry, for your time and ideas. Someone else gave me the idea of linking text boxes. Apparently that is possible even in Pages '09, though I've never tried. Unfortunately, NWP has some features (indexing, etc.) that I'd love to use. I have InDesign CS4, so maybe i'll just use that. I don't think I want to learn iCalamus, etc., if I can help it. I wonder if Mellel will let one link text boxes or columns? I would prefer an app that is known for its flexibility with non-English languages and right-to-left ones. This particular project won't need that, but in the future I will need it, so I thought that if I have to face a learning curve I'd rather learn something that will work for non-RTL languages and RTL ones. Unfortunately, without plug-ins or a special version, ID CS4 won't handle RTL (AFAIK).
exegete77

Post by exegete77 »

No, Mellel will not help you with this project. I use NWP and Mellel, but I also have InDesign for these kinds of special needs (except for Hebrew). I use Mellel for that.

But I also have Papyrus. I used for a book four years ago. It sort of handles Hebrew, but only on a word by word basis, so a little awkward, but if it isn’t too much, then can be done.
iMac 21.5” / MBP 13” Retina
Mac user since 1990
NisusUser

Post by NisusUser »

Thanks, exegete77, for the information. I guess it's InDesign for this project.