Search for highlighted text

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
ProfT

Search for highlighted text

Post by ProfT »

Is is possible to search for text that has been highlighted? If so, what expression is used?

Thanks!
Mike
Hamid

Re: Search for highlighted text

Post by Hamid »

You can do Attribute Sensitive search, for example.
Attachments
AttributeSensitive.png
AttributeSensitive.png (17.59 KiB) Viewed 5565 times
ProfT

Post by ProfT »

Thanks. This got me started, but I found that my search does not capture all the text that is highlighted. I've tried all of the various wild card options for "underneath" the highlighting, but none of them captures all of the various highlighted elements. I think between them all I should be able to do so.

I'm trying to use the search with highlighted to track changes in a document since all of the changes are highlighted when entered.

Mike
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

The "Anything" wild card bubble should match any content in your document. That bubble is the equivalent of the PowerFind Pro expression Hamid has shown up in his post.
ProfT

Post by ProfT »

Thanks, Hamid and Martin.

I finally figured out what went wrong. I had originally copied and pasted a selection into the find window. I then selected the text and replaced the text with the Anything wild card bubble. (At first I was unsure how to highlight the text in the find box, so I had used this method.) Because there were other attributes involved with the original text and because those attributes were not shared by all highlighted text, only some of the highlighted text was found.

Once I figured out how to highlight the text in the box via the Format menu all was well. (The highlight button in the toolbar does not work to highlight text in the find box.)

Many thanks!
Mike
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

ProfT wrote:[...](The highlight button in the toolbar does not work to highlight text in the find box.)
Mike
Toolbar buttons apply only to the document window, but I think it would be a good idea to have highlight included in the contextual menu available in the Find window. Other attributes are available there. I also notice that having 'Add Comment' in that menu does not serve any purpose:
Attachments
CMinFind.png
CMinFind.png (44.35 KiB) Viewed 5536 times
Last edited by Hamid on 2010-07-28 11:30:21, edited 1 time in total.
ProfT

Post by ProfT »

Agreed. The contextual menu was the second option I tried to introduce highlighting to the find expression. When that failed, I performed the copy and paste that sent me down the wrong path. It would be a great addition to have highlighting available in the contextual menu.