Graphics Problems

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
djtet

Graphics Problems

Post by djtet »

Pasting an image into NWP seems to auto-scale it to the margin widths. This makes sense if the image would be wider, but why overexpand images that would naturally be smaller? This is especially annoying since image-scaling works so poorly in Page View, as the image responds awkwardly to clicking and dragging, with poor display of std. indicators. Hopefully, this will be fixed soon (??).

I very much want more control of images, at the least a numerical scale function that would allow you to easily bring images to the same proportion, instead of trying to drag each one to the same dimensions, which can't be done exactly (a scale readout that showed the percentage of original and actively updated as you drag to resize would be useful, but the rescaling by numerical input is more important and would eliminate most need for the active readout.)

As others have mentioned, I believe, we could very much use a means of opening images in an external editor, too.

I've had NWE since the get-go, but I don't use it since it lacks too many of the things I relied on in Nisus Classic. Pro seemed like it would get closer to the old functionality to become my main WP, but the difficulty of working with images is giving me pause.

Any help on the way, official Nisus persons?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Graphics Problems

Post by martin »

djtet wrote:Pasting an image into NWP seems to auto-scale it to the margin widths. This makes sense if the image would be wider, but why overexpand images that would naturally be smaller?
NWP should never expand an image that naturally would fit within the margins. If you have an example of such an image, please submit it (and the document you insert it into) via the Help > Send Feedback menu. Thank you.
I very much want more control of images, at the least a numerical scale function that would allow you to easily bring images to the same proportion
This seems to be a pretty popular request now that NWP is out. Certainly it's a feature we're considering.
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

I haven't experienced djtet's problem but I wonder whether there will be a capability at some stage to check the resolution of images as well.

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard, Business Writer & Publisher

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes" -- Revealed! The secrets of how you can use type and layout to turbocharge your messages in print. See the book at http://www.worsleypress.com
djtet

Post by djtet »

I had written: "Pasting an image into NWP seems to auto-scale it to the margin widths. This makes sense if the image would be wider, but why overexpand images that would naturally be smaller?" Upon further examination, it seems this only happened because I was viewing the NWP page zoomed-in, and thus while it seemed the pasted graphics should have been smaller than the margins, back at 100% in NWP they were margin width wide. My bad.

The graphics are still giving me fits, though. They jump all over the page, while I'm typing, unless I set them as 'fixed to page.' In addition to just cleaning up the generally buggy behavior, how about a means of seeing where the graphic anchors are in 'move with paragraph' as in Classic?

More importantly, though we now have text wrap around graphics i can't find any way to adjust the bounding box around the image. One isn't much good w/o the other. (The default padding is too tight for my taste for most purposes.) Any plans for a fix on this (please, please, please...)?
docbnj

Post by docbnj »

When I drop a graphic on a text page, it no longer gives me the choice of holding it to a fixed position on a page, with text flowing around it. The window which offers that choice does not appear, and the graphic just shows as a text character, as in the earlier versions of Nisus Writer. Does anyone know how to overcome this problem? The manual indexing is useless in solving this problem.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

djtet wrote:The graphics are still giving me fits, though. They jump all over the page, while I'm typing, unless I set them as 'fixed to page.'
Can you send a sample document using the menu Help > Send Feedback so we can try to reproduce the problem?
how about a means of seeing where the graphic anchors are in 'move with paragraph' as in Classic?
More importantly, though we now have text wrap around graphics i can't find any way to adjust the bounding box around the image.
Both of these are excellent suggestions that we are considering.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

docbnj wrote:When I drop a graphic on a text page, it no longer gives me the choice of holding it to a fixed position on a page, with text flowing around it. The window which offers that choice does not appear, and the graphic just shows as a text character, as in the earlier versions of Nisus Writer. Does anyone know how to overcome this problem? The manual indexing is useless in solving this problem.
Is the Image palette (the floating window which used to appear) inside one of your tooldrawer palette groups? If so, instead of popping up the palette, NWP will simply switch to that palette group that contains it.
blueapples

Post by blueapples »

I am also having this problem, or a similar one anyway. Images inserted into a document are far too large and appear pixilated. I have just submitted a feedback item. The image I'm trying to insert is attached to message.
Attachments
Picture 10.png
Picture 10.png (13.72 KiB) Viewed 9517 times
blueapples

Post by blueapples »

Here's a file with the problem shown. I pasted a copy of the previous image file into this document and saved it exactly as the image appeared.
Attachments
imagescaling.zip
(30.77 KiB) Downloaded 448 times
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Hi blueapples- the image in the document you attached is correctly scaled. It appears larger (and blurry) on screen because you have the document view set to "Show Page Width" / 155%. If you use the menu View > Zoom > 100% the image will appear on screen as you intend.
blueapples

Post by blueapples »

Ah, oh boy do I feel silly. Thanks Martin :)