How to make Macros?

Get help using and writing Nisus Writer Pro macros.
Jester

How to make Macros?

Post by Jester »

Hi all!

I've no idea how to programme Macros, and I only know that they're basically used as hyper-links within a document. (Right?) I would like to know how to programme Macros, as I could not find a thorough tutorial within the forum.

I've attached a document (01 Diabetes.doc —why can't I upload it as .rtf?). There's a small word that says '¿Español?' in the upper right corner. I want that word to link with 'Dia•be•tes me•lli•tus s.' that is on the following page.

I'd really appreciate any help given, as this is a pretty important project. And I only use Nisus to write.

Another question: When saved as a PDF, will the links remain functional?

Thanks!

D.
Attachments
01 Diabetes mellitus (ENG)(ESP).doc
(24.74 KiB) Downloaded 699 times
phspaelti

Re: How to make Macros?

Post by phspaelti »

Actually, no. This is not what macros are at all. A macro is the ability to combine simple commands into a larger, complex command.

What you are looking for is the ability to create a link within a document and this is unfortunately something that Nisus can't do. Nisus allows the following:
- to create hyperlinks to webaddresses and other documents. These links remain when saved as pdf.
- to create bookmarks to specific locations in your document. Such 'links' have to be chosen from the bookmark menu or the navigator.
philip
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Post by rmark »

Actually, Nisus Writer Pro is a bit more capable than phspaelti suggests.

If you add a bookmark to your document and then insert a cross-reference to that bookmark you can jump to the bookmarked text by double-clicking the cross-reference. This is explained in the User's Guide.

I hope that helps.
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

Cross referencing does not allow to display the user's intended text, in this case "¿Español?", because "below" cannot be edited to display something other than itself.
Also, if "Dia•be•tes me•lli•tus s" is bookmarked as "¿Español?", only the bookmarked text can be displayed when a cross reference is inserted at "¿Español?" and not the bookmark as text. Hence "¿Español?" in the text is replaced by "Dia•be•tes me•lli•tus s".
Attachments
01 Diabetes mellitus (ENG)(ESP).rtf.zip
(4.44 KiB) Downloaded 698 times
Jester

Post by Jester »

rmark wrote:Actually, Nisus Writer Pro is a bit more capable than phspaelti suggests.

If you add a bookmark to your document and then insert a cross-reference to that bookmark you can jump to the bookmarked text by double-clicking the cross-reference. This is explained in the User's Guide.

I hope that helps.
OK, I think I got it. It'd be useful to have a feature like this in the coming updates. I'm willing to pay you if you release it tomorrow :P (just kidding, I'm sure it's pretty difficult to programme something like this.)
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

rmark wrote:Actually, Nisus Writer Pro is a bit more capable than phspaelti suggests.

I hope that helps.
My apologies for selling Nisus Writer Pro short, and thanks for setting me straight. I actually should have realized that this is possible, since it is used all over the macro reference guide (which I open just about every other day :) )

Here is a question: is it possible to get such automatic links -- particularly the table of contents -- to transfer to a pdf? "Save as pdf" does not work, but maybe with the paid version of Acrobat, or some other pdf creation program? Obviously I would want this to be automatic. I don't want to have to recreate the table of contents in Acrobat.
philip
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Post by rmark »

phspaelti wrote:
is it possible to get such automatic links -- particularly the table of contents -- to transfer to a pdf?
That's a great idea. We'll look into it for a future version. It's not that we want to put Adobe out of business, but avoiding one more step for our users would be nice.
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.
dshan

Post by dshan »

rmark wrote: It's not that we want to put Adobe out of business, but avoiding one more step for our users would be nice.
Why not? It seems to be all the rage at the moment...
xiamenese

Post by xiamenese »

dshan wrote:
rmark wrote: It's not that we want to put Adobe out of business, but avoiding one more step for our users would be nice.
Why not? It seems to be all the rage at the moment...
Yeah ... I just investigated getting an educational version of CS5 Design Standard here in China ... they wanted USD 650 for what is USD 299 in the States. Any company that does that kind of thing is asking to be stamped on!

Mark
codewizard

Post by codewizard »

xiamenese wrote: Yeah ... I just investigated getting an educational version of CS5 Design Standard here in China ... they wanted USD 650 for what is USD 299 in the States. Any company that does that kind of thing is asking to be stamped on!

Mark
And yet you still use a Mac? Why is that? If Adobe is evil for the pricing of their products IN CHINA, then Apple is even more evil as they build Macs in China and charge outrageous prices. Don't tell me that the pricing is better on Apple than on Adobe, it's not.

Did it ever occur to you that the Chinese Gov may be to blame for this? Oh sorry, I had forgotten that Mac Users love the Chicomms.

http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2009 ... na-prices/
http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/compa ... /19216550/

not only are the prices high, but features are missing.

Walk the walk.