Please speed up Nisus Pro

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
jtranter

Please speed up Nisus Pro

Post by jtranter »

I really would like the programmers who work on Nisus Pro to think about speeding up “Typesetting Text”. You know, when you wish to open a file, and it takes forever to do so.

This is the only good word processor I know that takes so awfully long to convert a document to a workable format. I guess you are still using Rosetta to convert text... please! That’s so seventies!

The other problem is the fact that lots of footnotes slow the program down. Academic theses use lots of footnotes; they should work quickly. Please! There's a huge audience out there.

... but thanks for such a great program!

best

JT
Timotheus

Re: Please speed up Nisus Pro

Post by Timotheus »

I second this request.
harryhoffner

Post by harryhoffner »

Yes, please do. I am writing a book, and my file has lots of footnotes and cross-references. Start-ups and refreshing takes far too long.
MBP

Post by MBP »

Yes - I am starting to get a bit frustrated too. Generally I am very happy with NWP. I wanted a clean fast writing app. Prefer the .odt format to save though. instead of rtf. the other larger full office app i used for a long time and still have is way too clunky! But NWP opens so slow!
MBP

Post by MBP »

saving to .odt is way too slow or opening odt too is way too slpw that is why I wish it was default . to clarify my earlier statement in the previous post
Kanamachirover

Post by Kanamachirover »

I agree with these comments too.

I am using Ver 1.4.1 on a MacBook Pro with 4GB memory but when I open my favourite WP, it takes so long before I can begin to type.

I have a fair number of freezes too.

Can’t this be fixed????
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Kanamachirover wrote:I am using Ver 1.4.1 on a MacBook Pro with 4GB memory but when I open my favourite WP, it takes so long before I can begin to type.
Is it just launching NWP that takes a long time, or is it the opening/typesetting of files?
I have a fair number of freezes too.
If you ever have NWP hang, please launch Apple's Activity Monitor application, select NWP in the listing, and click the "sample" button. That will generate a report, which can help us diagnose the problem. Thank you.
msebban

Post by msebban »

NWP is a great soft, i left mellel to NWP BUT as i'm working on long documents (600 pages at less) it take minutes to work on it and specially with foot notes…
please fix it….
MS
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

msebban wrote:NWP is a great soft, i left mellel to NWP BUT as i'm working on long documents (600 pages at less) it take minutes to work on it and specially with foot notes…
Working in Draft view can be quite a bit faster than using Page view. Typesetting in Draft view is much simpler for a variety of reasons (no pagination, widow and orphan control, footnote placement, etc). Of course that's no help for when you need to edit footnotes and endnotes; that's an issue we're aware of and still hope to address.
xiamenese

Post by xiamenese »

Just a thought from me. Since footnote placement requires calculating pages, widows and orphans etc., all of which comes with a processor time-premium — especially on a long document such as msebban describes — using Draft View avoids the calculations and so should speed up the editing, but does so at the cost of footnotes/endnotes, which are mentioned in the original post.

Now, I have a couple of macros — contributed by Martin, if I remember rightly — one which takes inline annotations delimited by [[ and ]] and turns them into margin comments, and the other which reverses this process. Would it not be possible to do the same thing re footnotes/endnotes, using different delimiters, say {{ and }}.

I am no programmer and would only contemplate trying to produce a macro by macroizing a find-replace set-up. But it seems to me that it should be possible either to produce macros to do these conversions, either by modifying those two, or if necessary writing completely new ones. This would allow footnotes/endnotes to be available while using Draft View for editing.

I make this disclaimer: in no way do I claim this as an original idea of mine; it is based on my use of similar functions within Scrivener for annotations/comments and footnotes/endnotes.

Mark
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Thank you for reminding me about that Mark! We do have some macros that allow for editing notes in Draft View. They basically support two workflows:

The "Edit Selected Note Text" macro:
When in Draft view, just select any note reference (or place the insertion point adjacent to a note reference) and run this macro. It will display a prompt that can edit the note's text. Unfortunately this macro only supports editing plain text; any formatting you've applied to the note will be lost.

The Conversion macros:
These are a pair of macros: one which converts proper/real notes to inline content delimited by special markup characters, and another macro that handles the inverse. The macros are set to use markup with angle brackets like so:

Code: Select all

This is the document body. More text<F: My footnote content is here.>.
Another main body paragraph<E: A single endnote.>.
You can see that the "F" and "E" help distinguish footnotes from endnotes.
Attachments
NotesInDraftViewMacros.zip
(11.32 KiB) Downloaded 695 times
msebban

Post by msebban »

Thank's for your answers. The problem is that my works are academic (600/700 pages and more) and have a huge number of footnote (more than 3000).
So i need a full power to work on my document and use Find and replace, style sheet and more
i'm very disappointed cause it take minutes and more for each operation on my document.
I hope NWP will fix that soonly
by the way, Neo office give you in preferences Menu the option to choose how of live memory you give to the soft, could be a solution????
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

But, Martin, why did you say that you "still hope to address" this issue? Is it so complicated to resolve?