just want word

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
rdl

just want word

Post by rdl »

new mac owner, don't like works/pages. miss my office word - well miss the spell check with punctuation & grammar check(that pages is missing) desparately. will this fit the bill?
Thanks
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: just want word

Post by martin »

Nisus Writer has a very nice interface to the system provided spelling dictionaries (customizable with 3rd party dictionaries, like Aspell). You can even mark different parts of a single document to be spellchecked using different dictionaries if you like. However, Nisus Writer has no grammar checker.

I suggest you give the free demo a try- I expect you'll find our software a very pleasant experience.
johnlaudun

Post by johnlaudun »

If you "just want word," may I suggest that you simply get Word? The current version of Word is 2008 and it comes with the other Office applications. Pretty much feature parity with the PC version.

However, if you want a word processor that doesn't have a broken style system and also has amazing customizability, then may I then suggest you try out Nisus? The only thing that Word has that Nisus doesn't, and that I miss, is the Outline view. Word's outline view, like OmniOutliner's, is outlining done right. The versions that Mellel offer you, and even Scrivener to some degree, are pale imitations of outling.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

johnlaudun wrote:The only thing that Word has that Nisus doesn't, and that I miss, is the Outline view.
We don't have a dedicated Outline view, but you may find that our TOC navigator does the trick for your outlining needs. It shows a document hierarchy and allows you to expand/collapse entries in the pane, drag-drop entries to rearrange document content, and promote/demote entry levels.