"big" "heavy" file

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
avieilam

"big" "heavy" file

Post by avieilam »

I created a "big" file, some 20 pages with 21 "pictures" that are actually 21 note examples from Sibelius. (notation software) - the result was terrible, I got a huge file, more than 500 MB... which I couldn't mail to my editor....
How can I reduce the size of this file?
Why did I get this big file?
:(
Anybody knows how can I fix this?
Thanks
avieilam
ptram

Re: "big" "heavy" file

Post by ptram »

I don't know the specific case, but you could try zipping the file. This is the same as if you saved in Nisus' own Compressed RTF format.

In general, my publishers ask me to keep text and pictures separated. I put a marker in the text, and assign the same name to the relevant picture. Is this a viable solution for you, too?

If your publisher asks you a finished, formatted file, maybe you can send the document in PDF format? This should be smaller than the original Nisus file.

Paolo
Ruchama

Post by Ruchama »

my guess is that your pictures are a too fine resolution, hence too large in (memory) size. for general use you could reduce the resolution and get a reasonable file. in case you need this high resolution, you will have to separate them from the file for any regular correspondence until the actual publishing..
DavidK

Post by DavidK »

I've seen this before - it doesn't really matter what size or resolution the images are, the Nisus file bloats far beyond what you'd expect by adding the size of the image to the size of the file without the image. It's a deficiency in the way Nisus handles images, and I think ptram's solution is the only reasonable one I've come up with.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Large images do expand quite a bit when saved in RTF files (read an explanation). As Paolo suggested, saving your file using the format "Nisus Compressed Rich Text" can greatly help (even more so than simply compressing the original RTF).
DavidK

Post by DavidK »

I tried the link, and was directed to the message,
"You are not authorised to read this forum."
exegete77

Post by exegete77 »

So with me, too.
iMac 21.5” / MBP 13” Retina
Mac user since 1990
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Sorry about that. Please try the link again, thanks.
exegete77

Post by exegete77 »

Thanks. It now works. :)
iMac 21.5” / MBP 13” Retina
Mac user since 1990