NWP 1.2 crashes HELP!

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Matze

NWP 1.2 crashes HELP!

Post by Matze »

Hello everybody! I'm writing in a rtf document, 16 pages long, with 50 column breaks (on the same side, because this is the only - ms-wordish - way to number a chapter) and NWP crashes while writing!

Does anyone know what might cause these crashes?

Best regards and thanks for helping me, Matze
xiamenese

Re: NWP 1.2 crashes HELP!

Post by xiamenese »

Matze wrote:Hello everybody! I'm writing in a rtf document, 16 pages long, with 50 column breaks (on the same side, because this is the only - ms-wordish - way to number a chapter) and NWP crashes while writing!

Does anyone know what might cause these crashes?

Best regards and thanks for helping me, Matze
I suggest you use the "Send Feedback" option in the help menu and report it directly to the Nisus Gurus, and attach that file to the message. The other thing to do in circumstances of this kind is to trash the preferences and restart the app, which will create a new set of preferences and may solve the problem.

As for the forum, it might help to know which type of Mac you are using: G3, G4, G5, Intel; which version of OS-X you are using, 10.3.9, 10.4.x, 10.5.x; any other specs, haxies or anything you can think of that might affect the way your machine behaves.

By the way, I fail to understand why working in columns with an average of three column breaks per page can be considered the only way to number chapters!

Mark
feat

Post by feat »

ah! which is the other way to number chapters?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Yes, please take the advice of Mark/xiamenese and send us a feedback report after the crash occurs. It's also important for us to know if this is a real crash, where NWP unexpectedly quits, or a hang, where you must "force quit" NWP. If it's the latter, it would help if you could copy the contents of the report that shows in the Apple force quit feedback reporter window, which unfortunately doesn't get logged anywhere for us to pick up automatically.
feat wrote:ah! which is the other way to number chapters?
You could use a list style, if the mandatory tab characters don't bother you.
Matze

Post by Matze »

Hello everybody and thanks for your help.
To answer your questions:
@Mark, who wrote: "The other thing to do in circumstances of this kind is to trash the preferences and restart the app, which will create a new set of preferences and may solve the problem."
Will do that the next time. Meanwhile I've just closed the file and opened a new one. I now use not more then 30 breaks in one file and then open a new file.
"As for the forum, it might help to know which type of Mac you are using: G3, G4, G5, Intel; which version of OS-X you are using, 10.3.9, 10.4.x, 10.5.x; "
I am sorry that I forgot this. NWP crashed under an iMac 2.8 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo under OS X 10.5.6 and under a Powerbook G4 1,67 Ghz OS X 10.5.6
@Martin, who wrote: "send us a feedback report after the crash occurs".
I'll do, promised.
"You could use a list style, if the mandatory tab characters don't bother you"
Sorry, but if I use a list style, I have to softbreak each paragraph, to avoid, that a new number occurs in each paragraph, haven't I?
I just want to place a chapternumber exactly the way I could in NW 6.5: insert it where ever I want with just a command from the menue (and delete it later, if I have to.)
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

@Martin, who wrote: "send us a feedback report after the crash occurs".
I'll do, promised.
Thanks, that would be great.
Sorry, but if I use a list style, I have to softbreak each paragraph, to avoid, that a new number occurs in each paragraph, haven't I?
You don't need to use soft returns; one can have a list style number continuously even if there is other text in between numbered paragraphs. Just switch to the stylesheet view, choose the list style, and then check the option "continue numbering across document content".
Matze

Post by Matze »

Sorry, Martin, I don't understand you (or it doesn't work like it should) When I change that Liststyle the way you've supposed, the list behaves the same way it does when I leave the checkbox unchecked.
I choose COM-LZ and get a number 1.
when hit the return-key I get automatically a 2.
I don't want that automatism. I want to have a new paragraph WITHOUT any number until I want to have number 2. (and by the way, I don't necessarily want to have in front of the paragraph all the time. Some times, I need a word in front of the number. In NW 6 it was so easy and so flexible and I really really miss that function in NWP.
xiamenese

Post by xiamenese »

Matze wrote:Sorry, Martin, I don't understand you (or it doesn't work like it should) When I change that Liststyle the way you've supposed, the list behaves the same way it does when I leave the checkbox unchecked.
I don't want that automatism. I want to have a new paragraph WITHOUT any number until I want to have number 2. (and by the way, I don't necessarily want to have in front of the paragraph all the time. Some times, I need a word in front of the number. In NW 6 it was so easy and so flexible and I really really miss that function in NWP.
To your first point, you set up your Chapter style, so that when you press the return key, it automatically [look at the bottom of the panel in the style view!] goes to the "Normal" or "Body" style or whatever you call it, which is in an appropriate font, size, line and paragraph spacing, first line indent or whatever, in whatever language you want, but with no paragraph number etc. You have that continue to be followed by paragraphs in that style until you want a new chapter heading, so then you have your cursor in the paragraph in question and you choose "Chapter" style, and type your chapter heading, press return and you're back in Normal ... And if you can be bothered you can set up a keyboard shortcut to switch to "Chapter", so you don't even have to have the Style toolbar open.

Classic worked that way ... except for me it never did. For some reason I could never get it to change the ruler properly.

For the other ... ?

Mark
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Matze wrote:Sorry, Martin, I don't understand you (or it doesn't work like it should) When I change that Liststyle the way you've supposed, the list behaves the same way it does when I leave the checkbox unchecked.
I don't want that automatism.
Ah, I see. Mark's advice about setting up a "next" style can help you with that. Or if you don't apply the numbering very often, you could simply manually switch off the list mode after the numbered paragraph. The "continue" option I mentioned above merely lets the numbers count consecutively even though you have other content in between them.
(and by the way, I don't necessarily want to have in front of the paragraph all the time. Some times, I need a word in front of the number. In NW 6 it was so easy and so flexible and I really really miss that function in NWP.
Unfortunately we don't have this feature yet, but we know it's something people want. It's possible to rig up a macro that updates custom number sequences anywhere in your document, but it may be more effort than it's worth, depending on your needs.
Matze

Post by Matze »

Thank you Mark, thank you Martin for your help!! It seems that I am still thinking in NW Classic ways. I did and I do write mostly in Courier 12 normal paragraph mode. I actually very seldom used any paragraph formatting. But I had and have to write text with many numbers in it, which was easily done with NWCs Chapter Number Mode.
I might well switch to NWP-thinking and use those styles :D

Best regards, Matze (who is looking forward to a NWCish numbering tool in NWP)
Matze

Post by Matze »

Hello, so I've set up everything and it works. Hurrah!
But I still find it a bit cumbersome: I have to switch from normal view to style view, then choose in the left column a liststyle and define it (set it up to continue the numbers), then I have to create a new paragraphstyle (left column) by defining a liststyle in the right toolbar. And the you have to define the next paragraph style in the middle --;)ir
Groucho

Post by Groucho »

Hello.

I would do like this. I assume you already have a heading style, like Heading 1, Heading 2 and so on, that come with a default new document.

1. Switch to stylesheet view.
2. Select Heading 1 (or whatever is your heading style).
3. Locate the Lists palette in the drawer and select Headings from the Style drop-down.
4. In the Heading 1 (or whatever) pane, select Normal (or whatever style you are using for a body text) from the Next Style drop-down.
5. Switch back to write view and buckle down.

Cheers, Henry.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Thanks for the tip Henry. It's also worth mentioning that you can configure the stylesheet in your Nisus New File so the changes are available in all new files you create.